Author Topic: Spotting Scope Tripods  (Read 439 times)

Offline hunterlar3

• Trade Count: (0)
Spotting Scope Tripods
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »
Hi all, first time poster here.

I just drew one of the premier mule deer hunts in the state and I'm already gathering up gear for the hunt. After quite a bit of research, I've already invested in one of the best spotters on the market. Now I need a tripod and I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out what would work best. This is a high desert hunt and likely to be a spot and stalk kind of affair. I'm also likely to have to pack everything in on my back over some very rough terrain, so weight will be a big consideration. Also, I don't want to break the bank (went a good ways toward it already with the spotter purchase), but I doubt that the first $29.99 tripod I run across will be adequate. I find you usually get what you pay for but sometimes relative bargains can be found with a little research.

Anyway, having basically no knowlege on the subject, I need some sugestions.

Offline jhm

Re: Spotting Scope Tripods
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:31:12 AM »
If it was me I would try looking in the Professional Photography shops, you might have to pay a little more but the people who take pictures are not going to trust a $4000.00++ camera to a cheap $29.95 tripod I use a tripod in my reloading room to watch the deer at the feeder 1000 yds away from the building it stays there all year, it is on a camera tripod but not a vary expensive one I would want better if a life long Hunt was involved.  HTH   JIM

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 03:43:46 AM »
If you're back packing in, weight has got to be one of your first considerations. So maybe the el cheapo will be the way to go. If it's light enough.  You're not gonna be driving tent pegs with it.  Seems like a monopod with a rubber foot on one end and a screw attachment on the other might work. Only tall enough to work while yu were sitting down.  But then, would that be compatible with a couple of hours of manipulation and spotting?? It would depend a lot also on how high your magnification is.  Putting the scope acrost a pack frame would work in a pinch. How far are you going in?  How are you getting your meat out? 

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »
Last Velban tripod I bought cost $165, it's lasted 7 years now, came with a 5 yr warranty. Jim White in Arizona, (Showlow I think) had the best deal I could find, nice guy to deal with. Not real light but I pack it all day with no issues.