Author Topic: Let me introduce myself  (Read 523 times)

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Let me introduce myself
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:14:08 PM »
I just want to thank you all for the great forum. I have been lurking for a couple of years, and I figured it was time to say hello, and come out of the shadows.

My name is Frank. I live in the mountains near Bakerfield, California, and I hunt deer, rabbits and quail. I'm 51.

I hunted off and on over the years, but now that I live in a rural area (again), I've gotten really serious about hunting, and about getting the right gear for the job.

You guys are great. I feel like I know you all in a way, like you're old friends. Guess I need a life, huh? LOL

Seriously, you guys (and gals) really know your stuff. You're a great resource.

I'm a H & R fanatic. I own a pardner 12 gauge, modified choke, and a Marlin 336 w in 30 30. Of course, I'll need more guns as the "need" arises.

OK< I wanted to send off for a replacement barrel, 20 gauge rifled for the pardner.

Here are my questions.

1. I wondered if now would be a good time to order a barrel with H & R moving to Kentucky Ilion, NY?

2. I thought about waiting until next year to get the barrel, but I worry the new owners might scrap the whole barrel repacement program.

3. Can I put a peep sight on the existing rear sight? Is the factory screwed on, or welded?

4. I know there is enough meat on the 20 gauge receiver to have a gunsmith drill and tap it for a scope, so that seems to be an option. My old eyes can't hang with those factory sights. (Ive never even been able to check one out. I haven't seen any new pardners in gun shops).

I think that's about it. I look forward to any advice any of you might be able to offer.

Thank you so much.

Frank

(P.S. I should warn you I tend to be long winded at times, so please bear with me.)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Let me introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:05:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum Frank.  Although I can't answer any of your questions about drilling and tapping shotgun barrels I can say that rifle barrel prices just went up from $82 to $90 so I would imagine shotgun barrels will too so don't wait too long.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:23:59 AM »
Welcome aboard!
Quite a few folks here have reported rilling and tapping a 20 ga. barrel to accept the NEF / H&R scope base.Haven't heard of any problems with them.
About the peep sight question, if you have a barrel that is D&T'd for a scope base, there are several reciever sights that screw into the existing holes.
Lots of good into on this site, nice folks, a good place to lurk!!
Mark

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:03:36 AM »
I glued mine on using black max loctite....that is some good glue but you got to hurry it sets up fast....

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
Hi Frank.
The Tracker II barrel(20ga rifled slug barrel) has the sights welded on.  You would not be able to mount a peep sight in that location, on the barrel.
Welcome aboard and good luck with your barrel.
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:10:23 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.

I just sent away for the 20 guage barrel! I can't wait for it to arrive. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

I think I'll have it drilled and tapped at some point. Then I can either go with the peep sight or with the scope.

Thank you all for the replies. I was starting to feel lonely there for awhile. I was wondering if maybe folks were holding it against me

because I live in California. Do ya?

(You don't even want to know where I was born).

Frank

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 05:08:44 AM »
You can't help it you live in California but i would try to move ASAP.....

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:12:08 AM »
I was born and for the most part raised in California; I’m a proud conservative, Republican, member of the NRA, veteran, and Handi owner .  Like the 300 I choose to stay in California and will fight for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!