Author Topic: Freedom Arms model 97 in 45 Colt  (Read 1923 times)

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Freedom Arms model 97 in 45 Colt
« on: September 04, 2003, 06:33:48 AM »
I am interested in a handy single action revolver to have as a companion at my side. This revolver would seem to fit the bill. I'm not concerned with grizzly's and such - just a caliber and firearm capable of dealing with what one would normally be looking to accomplish with factory-to-warm 45 Colt loads. My definition of warm in this context is 250-270gr @ 1000fps as an upper limit. I feel this would do all I need to get done and I really like the compact nature of the model 97.

Unfortunately these things are rare and I cannot just sidle over to the next guy at the range and politely ask to fire his. I did manage to handle one at the only stocking dealer within 250mi and while it felt OK in the hand that is not the same as shooting. I've heard from one or two 'net acquaintances that the mod 97s are unpleasant to fire. What I'm trying to determine at this point is whether this is really attributable to any peculiarity in the FA grip design or simply the physics of shooting blackhawk-level loads in a very light gun (which I do not intend to do).

Any relevant comments would be appreciated. Obviously buying, trying and trading if I do not like is one sure way to answer my own question but that is rarely an enjoyable experience and in this case could prove expensive.

Thanks, Ed

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 07:45:07 AM »
A friend of mine in Texas has a 97 and loves it.  The 97 is quite pleasant with the loads you plan on using.  Which, by the way, is an excellent load that will do everything you wish to do.  The 97 is fairly lightweight and moves around vigorusly with top Ruger lever loads.    44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 11:18:45 AM »
shot a buddys at the linebaugh seminar with one of my loads a 300rcbs kieth with 24 grains of 110 and thought it was very comfortable to shoot so loads like you want would be a piece of cake in it.
blue lives matter

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 11:55:30 AM »
Very nice guns. Too light to be pleasant with the top end .45LC loads but at the level you are looking for it will be just fine. See my review of it down lower on the Forum List in the Product Review Forum.

GB

Offline DelGue

• Trade Count: (0)
97 Freedom Arms
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 07:57:20 AM »
I have a Mod. 97 Freedom Arms in .45 Colt with an extra .45 ACP cylinder.  They are great guns, well balanced in my hand, not any more difficult to shoot with "stiff loads" than the Ruger Bisley, but much better than the Ruger Vaquero to shoot with heavy loads with.

The only drawback,  I personally prefer 'blued' guns to S.S.

I would like to get one in .41 mag. also...If you like it, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Delgue
Del Gue

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 09:51:51 AM »
I cannot speak directly for the 97/45 Colt combination from personal experience but I do have a few FA guns in my stash. One of them is a 97 but in 22lr/magnum configuration. The 97 is a great little gun with a good balance and good packable dimensions. If you are looking to purchase a life long pal of the highest quality the FA is for you.

The model 97 wasn’t designed to be hot rodded. From my understanding the 97 was made to appeal more to the Cowboy Action Click. The size scaling of the gun prevents someone from shooting full bore loads. However the guy at FA told me he has been shooting ~1250fps loads provided from Buffalo Bore in his 97 and all is well. The length of the cylinder isn’t long enough to house the length of full bore 45 Colt ammo so you may have to be selective in the OAL of some factory ammo also. You can give FA a call. You can find their # @ www.freedomarms.com . Call and ask to speak to a guy named John. He’ll sit and talk with you for a while and will be able to give you accurate information for your questions on the 97.

I’m looking to invest in one of these someday. I think it would suit your needs well. If you choose to go with smaller guns in heavy calibers the increase in recoil is something you’re not going to be able to avoid. The grip design of the FA is just fine for handling recoil maybe only surpassed by a Ruger Bisley frame.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott

Offline EdK

• Contributor
Thanks for the feedback
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 08:28:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am leaning heavily toward following through on this one.

GB: Thanks for pointing out the review. I knew you had a sample and that a review was pending however had not seen it. Good reading - thanks