Author Topic: Clean-up time.  (Read 490 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Clean-up time.
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
I don't know what you use and maybe it has been suggested before but I just found a gallon of concentrated Original  "Krud Kutter" at $16 a gallon. A little bit of It goes a looooong way.

Supreme Chemicals of Georgia Inc.  www.krudkutter.com and it does what it claims to do: cuts grease, grime, oil, tar & wax fast. Non toxic, Biodegradable, Non Flammable, Non Abrasive. The website suggests dilution rates.  I used 05 H2O to 01 KK. You can probably lean it out more. Less than a pint of mix soaked into swabs does my 2 pdr.. They don't mention doing cannons and this is in Georgia?

First wet the barrel with plain H2O. Then swab the KK mix. Wait a few minutes. Then I scrub a little. Run the swab in and out (I use Thrift Store towels run through a big eye-bolt on a pole). Rinse with a hose or your swab (cold is fine). Dry swab. Swab with WD40. The towels I use get rung-out and I catch and re bottle the stuff for future use. The towels get hosed clean for continued use. The krud rinses right out.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Clean-up time.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:22:20 PM »
this is amusing  ;D

gun pwder in swedish is : krut

in danish and norwegian its pronounced krud , but Im not sure about the spelling  ???

an coincident or ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »
      We are always interested in this topic as we try to shoot about once a month in the winter and about 2 or 3 weeks per month in the spring, summer and fall.  So we do quite a bit of cleaning!  We have used 4 or 5 different types of black powder solvent/ cleaners in the last two years.  So far we just can't see any advantage over a two second squirt of regular, everyday liquid dish washing soap in a gallon pail of warm tap water. With the breech end of the tube in the pail, 10 strokes with a tight fitting wet sponge and then use of a clean dry sponge kept just for this purpose and a hose down with WD-40  cleans our rifled cannon completely.  10 minutes start to finish.

Are we missing something here or are the extra benefits of these "special" cleaners very subtle or so esoteric that simple guys like us just can't quite notice them?

Thanks for posting, thelionspaw, this remains a very important topic; nobody wants a rusty bore!

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:22:08 PM »
You are missing nothing.  Whatever you use get the gun clean and dry, then oiled. 

For the bigger guns I just run the garden hose down the bore to rinse every thing out then scrub the bore with a swab and rinse again.  I pour the water out of the bore and dry the entire gun with a dry swab.  Then I spray the metal down with WD-40.

Smaller guns same process except I do it in the laundry sink.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:48:30 AM »
See?  Now If I was a guy who did dishes; I would have known that. I'll have to tell my wife. ;D
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
tell her she need to wash the dishes outside from now   ;D
because you nned to rebuild the sink for  cannon cleaning  :o

if you did , how long time before she packed your bags   ::)
maybe best to not mention it   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry