Author Topic: possible rev. or 1812 capture gun I don't know  (Read 529 times)

Offline catosilvaje

• Trade Count: (0)
possible rev. or 1812 capture gun I don't know
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »
I HAVE MET A MAN THAT THINKS HE HAS AN 1812 OR REV. WAR GUN IT IS NOW ON GUN BROKER CAUSE HE COULDN'T DESCRIBE IT ON E-BAY WE'RE POOR IGNORENT PILGREMS THAT NEED SOME HELP .CATOSILVAJE

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: possible rev. or 1812 capture gun I don't know
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:19:10 PM »
If this is what you are referring to, it's a reproduction with a steel liner but it's still worth considerably more than $100.00.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline catosilvaje

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
YES THAT IS IT. YOU THINK IT IS A REPRO. I HAVE NO IDEA EXCEPT WHAT I SEE IN THE PICTURES. IT IS KINDA PERTY. IS THE PRICE WAY OUT OF LINE THEN? WHAT DO YOU THINK IT SHOULD GO FOR? CATOSILVAJE

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »
It looks to be a repro of a English  6 pounder late 18th Century.
The LP is probably LaPan foundry out of New York they made quite a few cannon during the Bi-Centennial unfortunately
after a mishap where someone lost their hand almost up to the elbow and he sued everyone he could including the foundry
they stopped producing cannon.
unfortunately the carriage is in poor condition after being left in the elements for some time.  although it may be salvageable,
anyone bidding should be prepared to have to rebuild/replace the carriage using existing iron work.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »
Do you remember what went wrong with the piece?
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »
It happened at a re-enactment, most likely was not swabbed  or vent stalled properly and the aluminum foil wrapped cartridge tore when rammed home,
he was using a standard rammer and wearing gauntlet gloves, gun fired when charge was rammed home, some say gloves add safety,some believe
that they tend to grab too much and your hand never has a chance to release from the rammer when this sort of thing happens.
A French rammer or a Shepperd's crook rammer would aid in preventing such injury
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:02:32 AM »
There seems to be a trend on Gunbroker for people to post auctions or sales of repro or foreign cannons, making fanciful claims of some great historical importance that doesn't exist.  There are usually a few such items on that site at any one time. 

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 03:37:47 AM »
[quote author=KABAR2 most likely was not swabbed  or vent stalled properly and the aluminum foil wrapped cartridge tore when rammed home,

Thank you KABAR2.  Human stupidity/error and not a manufacture defect but LP was forced out of the cannon market. They are still in business though.  I want to have a bumper sticker made that reads: ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY but the message would be like putting perfume on a pig.  :(
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:12:02 AM »
Yeah he sued his unit the B.A.R the manufacture and went to court for a jury trial
during the proceedings he accepted an offer from the insurance company of 30,000.00
basicly he knew he wasn't going to win but wanted something for his lost hand...
my issue with the whole thing is like you say responsibility nobody held a gun to his
head and told him to load the cannon it was his choice.