Author Topic: My last Whitetail taken (7mm Rem Mag results)  (Read 1319 times)

Offline SAWgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
My last Whitetail taken (7mm Rem Mag results)
« on: June 24, 2003, 05:11:13 PM »
While I was on leave, I went back home to Georgia and had time to do a little deer hinting before we went Chukker and Quail hunting.  I shot a Slick-head (doe) for meat, and had to shoot her from the rear, because that was the only shot I was presented with.  The shot entered her anus, and lodged in her throat.  The intestines were liquid when we field dressed her.  I shot her with a 139 Grain Hornady BT Soft Point.  I am waiting until this season to find out what my new 160 Grain Fail Safes will do to an elk.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Zachary

My last Whitetail taken (7mm Rem Mag result
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 02:29:11 PM »
A shot at the anus and through the throat?  I thought that hunter should never shoot a deer that way. :roll:   I don't think that anyone should take that kind of a shot, even if "it's the only shot available."

I'm sorry man, but I'm just looking down and shaking my head left and right on this one.

Zachary

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
I forgot to add some footnotes.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 03:28:10 PM »
Yes, I now know that this was a bad shot, but I was young and it was the first deer that I had killed (after spending Umteen years in the woods with no shots).  I would never do this again, but I thought it would be interesting to post the results from the shot.  Sorry about not explaining this in full detail.  I know better now, and would not advocate making a poor shot to anyone.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Desperado357

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 05:01:13 PM »
you gona eat that meat??? SHHEEEW!! i poped a deer from across pond with 12 ga. remington 3 inch mag slugger and hit her in shoulder and the bullet must have tumbled err somethin and exited in low middle of ribcage and only kept backstrap and some rib meat casue it hit just the very side of one of her instestins and green juice was everywere and STUNK!!!!!! whew wee (i knew it wasnt me with knife that cut her cause i cut her throat and green stuff came no blood at all cause she bled all over me carryin on my shoulders and i smelled it threw the quarter size black hole hehe)

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 03:18:56 PM »
Popped a 12 pointer once with a "Texas heart shot" ...and it was fine.  Running away, 55 yards with 25/06 with handloaded 117 grainers~2900fps.  Hit almost dead in the rectum, it didn't splash in the gut, took off the top of the liver, heart and smashed both lungs...went out the front of the chest an shattered the front "elbow".  He turned and looked at me as if to say, "AWWW  THAT hurt!" and I finished him with a broadside shoulder shot. He field dressed at 175 lbs!  The meat was fine, and I always treasured the memory of that hunt.  I just wan't lettin' THAT one get away...my .02$ :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 05:42:06 PM »
Nothing wrong with eating that meat. Gees don't waste it, wash it off good and then wipe ALL OF IT DRY with paper towel, towel or anything thats clean and will absorb the moisture. ANYTHING BUT DONT WASTE IT.... :cry:
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline Desperado357

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 04:08:19 AM »
:shock: once meat is contaminated you cant wash it off. i was raised not to hit in gut becuase it ruins everything it touches. i fergot to add i got hind quarters too tho but non of shoulder or anything the bullet destroyed or green stuff touched. so that meants some trimming of the ribs, back strap, hind quarters. and the hide. i dont believe in waisting either but i had to go with what i was told by experianced folks and my own self

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 02:30:32 PM »
Theres still other meat, so you dont have to throw the whole deer away!!!
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 05:57:24 PM »
i wont get into shot selection. gutshot deer can be cleansed by either putting snow in the cavity after field dressing (which i always try to do-if there is enough handy), letting it sit a few minutes and then removing as much as you can.   i also usually carry a few quarts of water with me to drink.  after the snow, i prop the deer so i can pour the water in and wash out the nasty.  do it as soon as you can.  meat is just as good as any other.      we deer hunters have probably all gutshot one at least once- the rule in my camp is you gutshoot it- you clean it.    :)    yes, there is justice in the world. :-D

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 08:48:04 AM »
good idea, never thought about the snopw one, thnx for the info
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 11:07:43 AM »
I have read in several places that you shouldn't ever put water into the open cavity if you plan on eating the meat.
Now, i understand washing it out and i do that also....but standing water inside an animal can damage meat they say!?!?!

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2003, 01:25:42 PM »
have to agree with myronman on this one as long as it is washed very good it is fine. i have also heard the same thing about hair you know you try to keep as much off as possible but still has to be washed good. i think all the throwing up we do while cleaning a gut-shot deer is payment for bad shot. you have to pay the fiddler :(   :roll:

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 05:44:16 PM »
read what you want,  but take 100 people and put two steaks in front of them and say " this one had water rinsed through it and THIS  one soaked in stomach acid, bile, and intestine funk."   which one do you think they are going to eat?   i know which one is going in my mouth.

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2003, 04:52:28 PM »
Quote from: myronman3
read what you want,  but take 100 people and put two steaks in front of them and say " this one had water rinsed through it and THIS  one soaked in stomach acid, bile, and intestine funk."   which one do you think they are going to eat?   i know which one is going in my mouth.

Keyword "Rinsed."
i read letting the water inside the carcess for prolonged time can damage the meat.
I assume it has something to do with the fresh meat warming the water and spoiling everything.

Offline Lagavulin

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2003, 08:12:17 PM »
After a bullet fragmenting and gutting my dear for me, I once took 3 of the quarters into the shower at our cabin. After extensive rinsing they were fine. We've also lowered a carcass into the cold lake out front for the same reason and it didnt affect the meat at all/ I have hunting buddies that when downing an Elk, place the meat in a cold stream for a couple of days while they still hunt, once again the meat is still good. The outside may pale but the inner meat will retain its density. Its not the best thing to do, but as mentioned, never feed anyone skanky game meat. Once they have it they'll never touch it again and I try to promote game as much as possible!

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2003, 01:16:49 AM »
Shame on you wasteful (hunters???) shoot and throw away!!! :(
 You wash the meat then DRY it. If you Don't dry it thats when bacteria sets in and ruins  the meat.  To much game is being wasted, such a shame...
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline AAAJohn

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2003, 02:08:53 AM »
Take what u can get when u can get it. Usually when hunting deer by the stalk you only see the deer for two seconds and I tell my brother it takes me three to kill a deer. 1 to put the gun to sholder, 1 to pull the trigger and 1 for the deer to hit the ground. Real life isin't like the TV shows where they take fifteen minutes to kill a deer and don't click their safety off till the deer gets 20 feet away so he can hear them.