Author Topic: Mom and the Versa Pack  (Read 891 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Mom and the Versa Pack
« on: November 29, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
I took my Mom to the range yesterday and she fired my daughters Versa Pack .22 LR barrel. The significance of this story is it was her first time ever shooting a gun in her life. She is 61 years old. After taking the first shot she said "wow, that was kind of fun!". She came close to hitting the bullseye at 7 yards. She then took a shot at a can I had set up and missed. After that she wanted to watch her grandkids shoot. My son and daughter then got to show Grammy their shooting skills.

A little background on Mom:
1. Lifelong Mass Democrat who always votes for Ted Kennedy
2. A gun hater who wouldn't let me have guns growing up
3. Voted for Obama
4. Was in favor of ridiculous Brady legislation after Reagan was shot
5. Despite being a meat eater doesn't want to know where her food actually comes from.
6. Was very nervous when I told her that I had bought her granddaughter a gun

The fact that I got her to take two shots from a rifle is a major victory for me. I've long tried the approach of trying to get her to actually shoot a gun in order to educate her. I made the range experience as safe as possible to calm her fears. I think it worked, we may actually have a gun hater turning the corner. Unfortunately my wife's camera died the day before so I wasn't able to capture the moment on film. She liked the Versa Pack once I explained how the break action design enables you to easily see if the gun is loaded or not.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Mom and the Versa Pack
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:18:14 AM »
Good job DB, get her back to the range again. Congratulations to both of you....<><...:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 06:02:16 AM »
Kudos DB, that's great!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
GREAT JOB!!  Keep at it, and make it FUN! She will go again. Those plastic clay pigeon holders and NECCO (Candy) wafers make for great targets!!

I have been a pistol instructor for many many years. One day a guy I work with approaches me, saying his wife wants to get her permit and could I help. I said sure and set everything up. My friend at work is pro gun did two tours in Vietnam but doesn't own any firearms or have his permit. His wife has always been a gun hater and was literally SCARED TO DEATH of them. In my classes I never have an actual firearm. At least not until we get to the range. I prefer to use the blue guns. (Hunk of plastic shaped like popular handgun's for training purposes.) At first she was even afraid of them!! At the range, DRY FIRING, she would jump at the hammer drop!!!
Long story short, see shot up all the ammo I had brought (at least a brick of .22's) and was visually upset the class was over!! Near the end her husband was shooting a bit and she was even offering tips to him on marksman ship!!! Some months later, she got here permit and bought a Ruger MKII Target and go's to the range regularly. I love turning people on to the sport we all Love!!

Kudos to you,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »
Thanks guys. I will definitely try to take her to the range again next time she visits. I even showed her my .22 Magnum NAA mini-revolver. She was scared to death at first but I disassembled the cylinder and let her dry fire it and she seemed to get more comfortable with it. I didn't have her fire it because I didn't want her to be afraid of the muzzle blast. One step at a time.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
Thanks guys. I even showed her my .22 Magnum NAA mini-revolver.

This is a little gem of a back-up revelver!! I have no less than four of them!!! Two mags, a LR and even a short that shoots better than ALL THE OTHERS!!!  I call them Pocket Rockets.  ;D

If it where me, I would find something else for her to shoot. These little revolvers can not be the most shooter friendly. I would hate to turn her sour to shooting.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »
cw,

A much as I love my mini (it is always with me) I agree that it's not the most friendly for a new shooter. That definitely played a factor in me not wanting her to shoot it.

The only other handgun I have is a J-frame .38 which might be OK with wadcutters but still not great for her as an intro to handguns. I'll probably look around for a full size .22 LR plinker at some point. I prefer revolvers but my first handgun was a Ruger MK II 22/45 which might not be a bad idea. I'd love to get a S&W K-22 revolver but those are tough to find at a reasonable price.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »
Invest in a set of full sized rubber grips and a couple boxes of full wadcutters and take mom back to the range!!!

The grips make it MUCH more manageable and the wadcutters recoil will be nullified even more. The little J frame can be a really good shooter!!  I have had a couple that shoot very well out to 50 yards and beyond!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »

The K-22 is also known as a M-17 these days. I sold one to purchase the 617 I have now. The 617 is the best shooting "K" Frame .22 I've ever had. It's not a light weight but it sure does shoot.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
I agree, snubbie J-frames are pretty accurate. It is pretty mild with wadcutters but a K-frame .22 is real mild and might be the best place to start.