Author Topic: Ok...I am a little confused  (Read 605 times)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
Ok...I am a little confused
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:21:48 PM »
I just got my new Leupold 6-18X40 AO Scope and mounted it,(it is mounted right elevation tuuret on top, windage adjustment on right). I took it outside and used the "traditional" method of bore sighting by centering a target that was about 40 yards away in the bore and adjusting the scope to center the cross hairs on target. Well it appears that the adjustment directions are reversed. I had to move the elevation dial "up" to move the crosshairs down and move the windage dial "left" to move the crosshairs right. Is there something I am missing here?

This is my first "premium" rifle scope and for 500 bucks I am not real impressed right now. I am thinking about saying to hell with it, sending it back and remounting the 99 dollar tasco that was on it before. At least that one moves the crosshairs in the direction printed on it's dials!
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Ok...I am a little confused
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
This is normal with all scopes. I can't really explain it well but now that it is bore sighted and you shoot a few rounds the adjustments on the turrets will work in the correct direction now. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »
The dials are labeled to move the point of impact not the point of aim.  Things are working as they should be with that scope.

Offline lakota

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »
whew! I have never bore sighted before. I usually take a big piece of cardboard and fire a few shots to see where I am hitting.

I was really confused when I needed to move the crosshairs down and I am cranking the dial and the crosshairs keep moving up. All the directions said was to adjust the crosshairs to match the picture through the bore

Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline lakota

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
Alright, disregard my first post, I sighted in my new scope today on my CZ .204 Ruger and I am very impressed. Clear crisp optics, nice fine cross hairs and postive click adjustments. In fact my last group todat measured 0.293" for five shots. My best with this gun and damn near my personal best.

I have never bore sighted a scope before and was really confused and perplexed when the cross hairs were moving in the oposite direction that I was trying to move them in.  ??? Luepold should prolly print that in the boresighting directions in thier manual.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:26:31 PM »
Alright, disregard my first post, I sighted in my new scope today on my CZ .204 Ruger and I am very impressed. Clear crisp optics, nice fine cross hairs and postive click adjustments. In fact my last group todat measured 0.293" for five shots. My best with this gun and damn near my personal best.

I have never bore sighted a scope before and was really confused and perplexed when the cross hairs were moving in the oposite direction that I was trying to move them in.  ??? Luepold should prolly print that in the boresighting directions in thier manual.
So should all scope makers. Glad it worked out for you. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:01:20 AM »
When you move the reticule in a scope, it's like moving the front sight with iron sights, you move them the opposite direction needed for impact correction.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein