Author Topic: welcome to hunting in tennessee. thanks gbo!!!!!  (Read 1093 times)

Offline deerjackie

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
welcome to hunting in tennessee. thanks gbo!!!!!
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:50:33 AM »
What kind of year did you have hunting in TN. 07-08?got pictures?
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline Tn Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: welcome to hunting in tennessee. thanks gbo!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
Got a nice doe opening morning of muzzle loader. Things got real slow by the time gun season rolled around. Didn't see any bucks, but didn't find any EHD victims either. Hoping to wear them out this year though. I read on the TWRA website that they have voted to increase anterless gun opportunities in East Tn (unit B). I hope so. We can't take any does after the first four days of MZ season. We are doe poor where I hunt. If they allow us a doe in MZ and another in gun, I may just leave the bucks alone this year.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Tennessee.Traveler

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:00:57 AM »
I got a small doe in Grainger County on the (07) mz.  Passed on the largest 4 pt I ever saw in Hickman County, hope to see him again in (08) as a six or eight!

Question???   Usually I hunt down at Centerville on a lease but, with diesel at $4.50/gal. and me in Knoxville, I'm thinking about staying close to home this year, and maybe put in for a managed hunt.  I haven't hunted E. TN. in years, what is the best bet?  I've got 50 acres in Sevier county but my deer are small and few for the most part.

I fool around with handi rifles, muzzleloaders, and Mauser's, glad to see this forum!

Looking forward to some thoughts on where to hunt!
Tennessee_Traveler

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:43 AM »
 i have 2 handi rifles and a nib knight dxt waiting on powder for knight. i shoot 25-06,243.  do you handload?
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline Tennessee.Traveler

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:41 AM »
Big Guy,

I haven't bought a factory round since 1966.  25/06 is my next handi barrel.  My others are BC re-chambered to 45-110 and a 22" 45-70 re-chambered to 45-110, and a .500 S&W.  I'm trying to learn the art of paper patching for my BC.  Was having so much fun, I started building a muzzleloader.  Actually, I finished the kit and have been waiting on my new barrel from Long Hammock Barrels for nearly 2 months now.  The kit came with a .50 cal barrel w/1 in 66 twist - patched round balls only so the barrel I have on order is a 32" .45 cal. with 1 in 18" twist.  Its a full 1" hex barrel. 

I met a man named Lee Shaver who makes gunsights at a 1000 yd BPMZ shoot earlier this spring and after seeing those guys hitting targets at 1000 yds, I got the bug.  They used those vernier tang sights that you see on the 1874 Sharps rifles.

I've done a lot of 600 and 1000 yd shooting but always with my Leupold 61/2 x 20 on top of a hot custom .30 cal.  I always took it serious but those BP guys were having fun!

I've used the Knight 85 ever since it came out, back in your airdale days.  Its kinda beat up but still gets under 1 1/2" groups at a 100 yds.

I wanted one of the new switch barrels but decided to wait and see how that short hex scope mount works out.  Personally I like to have more distance between rings.

If we get some rain and the blue tongue stuff is gone, we should have a good year!  Look forward to the Tn deer hunting forums success on GBO.

;) :D ::)
Tennessee_Traveler

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:22:52 AM »
 snipe, no airdale. hull tech2. good luck on the 1000 yd shots. hope we get rain here in paris soon also