Author Topic: Pre-War Model 70 in .375 H&H?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline jphendren

• Trade Count: (1)
Pre-War Model 70 in .375 H&H?
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »
Anybody here ever see one?  I am looking to buy one and wonder what they should sell for.  I have only found one that has sold on the internet, and seller does not want to disclose what it sold for.

I have located a standard grade that was made in 1937, but am not sure if the sellers asking price is fair or not.  The rifle is all original, but has a Griffin & Howe scope mount on it with a Lyman Alaskan scope.  It also has a Lyman peep sight on it, but am not sure if that is original or not.

Jared

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Pre-War Model 70 in .375 H&H?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
I am pretty sure the Lyman peep is not original. I am not familiar with the Griffin & Howe mount. Does it mount on the side of the action? If so there will be extra holes drilled. The Lyman peep probably required some cutting of the stock to get it to fit. I can't even guess what the price would be, but I know if the stock was cut for the Lyman peep, and if extra holes are drilled in the action, it would be worth about 400 dollars less than asking price. If the recoil plate has been changed the length of the stock would need to be looked at.  In all, even if the gun has been altered it depends on how bad you want it. I am willing to put up with a blemishes but I don't like ugly.  Ron
What was the asking price?  Ron

Offline jphendren

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:26 PM »
I found out that they only made 874 .375's up until 1945.  So they are quite rare.  I know that I have never seen one before.  Yes the G&H scope mount attaches to the side of the receiver, so there are three extra holes.  From what I have been told, these rifle came with a Lyman #48 peep sight, and the wood was releived at the factory for it to fit.  The seller is asking $4,500.  Everything is original to the rifle aside from the Griffin & Howe scope mount, and possibly the peep sight.  While they did ship with one, I'm not sure if the one on the rifle is a Lyman #48.

These rifles are so scarce that people on another gun forum did not know what they looked like, or what the factory configuration was.  One member happened to have a copy of Roger Rules book "The Rifleman's Rifle," and looked up the information for me.

I have noticed that post war pre-64's in .375 have been selling for over $3,000, and they are far more common.

Jared

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:55:43 AM »
A Lyman Alaskan scope, in a G&H sidemount, was a fairly common aftermarket addition for better-heeled & the more astute riflemen of the 50's & 60"s - especially on the better quality rifles of the era, like custom M-70's, custom 1903 Springfield's, Husqvarna's & custom M-98 Mausers.

I never saw the combo on an econo rifle, like a commercial Remington, etc.

I've only seen one pre-war .375 M70 for sale - and that was at a New England gun show in the -70's.

The $4500 asking price is very reasonable, IMHO - especially given that's it's only an "asking" & not a negotiated selling or "firm" price.
I know I would be able to sell an unmolested example, now,  for about $7K.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !