Author Topic: I ain't very smart but I shot a gun today and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  (Read 917 times)

Offline texaseyes

• Trade Count: (0)
I ain't very smart but I shot a gun today and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« on: August 13, 2003, 07:09:52 PM »
,,,,,,,,,,,,hit what I was aiming at!
I went into the dealers shop to buy a Glock! I wanted a Mini Glock 40 cal.
He didn't have one.
I have bought guns from this guy before and have been totally happy with not only the gun but his forthright information about what I thought I was looking for and what I really needed.
Well, he brought out this Ruger 94 40 cal. semi-auto pistol.
It felt good in my hand, would pack easily and, when I fired it, it was as smooth as the Glock I had shot previously.
He explained that I could get a Mini Glock for $400.00 plus or I could buy this gun for $275.00.
Seems that the guy who had previously bought it just disappeared and never claimed it nor the money he had paid in on account. He said since then he would just sell it to me for what was originally owed, if I wanted it.
Well, I am now the owner.
Did I do good?
Need some help here!
My aim is to hit what I am shooting at!

Offline Robert

I'd say you did good
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 07:24:17 PM »
If it shoots straight and feels right in your hand, what more could you ask for.  ONLY YOU KNOW when a gun is YOUR gun.
....make it count

Offline 1GLOCK

• Avid Poster
I ain't very smart but I shot a gun today a
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 07:58:12 AM »
Yup you did good. I dont pesonaly own any of the ruger autos but have shot a few, they all functioned well and felt fine in my hand. However, Its just not a Glock, I own a G17 9mm and a G22 40s&w and wouldnt part with either of them for anything. You still got a pretty good deal though, I paid 300 for the G17 used (1 year old) and over 500 for the G22 new. Its all a matter of personal preference and as far as Im concerned theres not a better auto made in the ruger price range.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 08:10:53 AM »
Hey texaseyes,
I have never been disappointed with Ruger products. My wife has a P-95DC that has seen a lot of service as a loaner at IDPA matches. It has never failed!  She paid $265 for it 8yrs or so ago. I own and shoot Glocks and prefer them to the Rugers, but they both do the same job! If you like the way the Ruger feels and shoots, then you have found your gun.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline texaseyes

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 07:14:26 PM »
Well, thanks for the input.
I guess I have a beer apetite on a beer budget.
I had an hour to kill today at lunch so I dropped by a pawn shop I know in the area. I saw a Sig 40 calibre. It was a really sweet feelin gun. Then I looked at the price tag, pushing $800.00, and fell more deeply in love with the Sturm/Ruger at home.
I have a question, if you don't mind. The Sig and, I think, the Glock can be turned into a .357 mag by interchanging barrels. Does the Ruger have that capacity, too?
Thanks.
My aim is to hit what I am shooting at!

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 07:27:06 PM »
The Sig and the Glock .40 can be turned into a .357 Sig not a .357 mag by changing the barrel. I haven't seen .357 sig barrels for the Ruger but I'm sure they are out there. The .357 Sig almost matches the .357 Mag ballistically but they are 2 totally different critters and not at all interchangable.

Offline November

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 09:06:38 PM »
texaseyes,
Congrats on the Ruger.  I have the same gun in Stainless and it's my most accurate .40 cal.  I was able to score a p94 slide, barrel, and recoil spring assembly on ebay for like $40.  These components slipped right onto my .40 p94 frame just like a conversion unit.  Now it shoots both calibers with typical ruger dependability.  If you search for a seller on ebay named barry39 every week or so, you will find what you need.  He's a good seller and sends it quick, plus he's got lots of other manufacturer's parts as well.  Good luck!
November

Offline kciH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 07:48:07 PM »
You got a good deal on the Ruger, and it will last you your lifetime. If it doesn't, Ruger will fix it for free.  I, unlike most, don't have much use for Glocks.  Good guns from all I hear, it just feels like shooting a "turd" when you're used to nice 1911's.  I understand the qulities that make them desirable to many, I just don't have much use for them.

Unless that Sig has all the goodies and some extra mags, you may want to bring a little vaseline if you plan to purchase it at $800.  The proper price for just about any Sig .40 would be a lot closer to half of what you mentioned. That said, the only double action auto that I really DO like is the Sig P220.

Have fun with your Ruger, use the money you saved for ammo, you'll be ahead of the game.