Author Topic: looking for a GOOD set of binoculars  (Read 590 times)

Offline Trav

• Trade Count: (0)
looking for a GOOD set of binoculars
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »
I would like to get my hands on a GOOD set of binoculars.  Any suggestions?  I am leaning pretty heavy toward the Swarovski EL's, especially the 8x32 model.  I will be using them primarily for hunting in the west (lots of glassing).  It it was not for the heafty pricetag I would already have a pair in my greedy little fingers, but......there is the issue of that dang pricetag.  I have looked through a bunch of binoculars, but none seem to match up with the apparently gold plated with real diamond studed, platnum trimmed Swarovski's.  Any imput is greatly appreciated. 
If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat???

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: looking for a GOOD set of binoculars
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »
I've looked thru and owned some of the most expensive binoculars made those supposed to be the best out there. In the end I've sold them all off at a loss and kept my Bushnell Legend 8x42s and prefer them over every binocular I've ever looked thru. I do not expect to ever let them go and will not again waste my money on another than the Bushnell Legend.

Buy whatever makes you happy and if buying a brand name is what it takes then by all means do so. But I highly recommend that what you should do is try them first and decide what you think is best for you after trying them. I thought those high dollar binos were the way to go also but after having them and using them I decided they really were not in fact right for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:52:11 PM »
I have two pair of the Bushnell H2O models.  One is a 10X40 and the other is an 8X32.  My friend has a set of the Stiener Preditors and spent $800+ on them and I think I have less than $250 in both pair.  Where I am going with this is, when we were in Idaho last October we were on Horse back and I fell off the horse.  No big deal the saddle was loose.  Not sure if it was an iniation prank or it just happened.  But  I  fell in the middle of a bunch of rocks and that scared Rob and from then on he didn't carry his expensive binoculars with him again.  He would ride over to me and ask to use mine.  I think the $120 pair around my neck is better than the pair that is back in camp.  Moral of the story:  It's great to have really nice stuff but only buy what you can afford to loose and replace.  My 2 cents. 
    If your looking for validation in getting the expensive ones.  Then spend that elk hunting trip (1500) on a pair of binoculars.  I'd rather hunt or spend the $ on ammo to get better with the rifles I have.  Don't let my friend Mike read this, he is the Swarovski Rep and needs more of you to pony up the big bucks so he can use his set hunting.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
If you wear glasses, and prefer to use them while looking through your binocs, by all means test any model you are considering.  I have a fairly expensive pair of binocs and the eyecups adjust for glasses.  Problem is, when I am ready to use the binocs, one eyecup is often retracted and until I diagnose the problem, forcusing becomes an issue.  I wish I could "fix" the eyecups into one position.

Rubber bands wound around the eyecups work pretty good, but shouldn't be necessary on premium binocs.

Never seen a good pair of very cheap binocs.  One brand that is surprisingly good for the money is Pentax.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »
Not sure if they do/have this in the US but I brought my binos from a Bird watching reserves shop. This one is run by the RSPB and I brought a set of 8x44 Vikings, nope had not heard of them before either and only seen them in the RSPB magazine but they are good, waterproof and the eye cups fold down adn stay down for use with my specs  ;D. Bird watchers are very fussy about their optics and by going to teh reserve I got good advice and was able to compare several different makes in my price range.

They also have optics days when you can go and try out lots of different binos and scopes, not looking through the glass window of a shop but out on the reserve watching live critters. My stalking friend use Zeiss or Swaroski and Leica but these are otu of my price range and yes the Zeiss one do give a few minutes more light in the evening but it's only a few minutes so I can live with that.

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 05:49:20 AM »
The best bargin in binoculars (IMO) are the "Porro Prism" models. For far less money, you can get a better view with a better "depth of field" than most "Roof Prism" models on the market, except the most expensive. I've not tried Busnell's new "Legend" series, but have heard of several users like "GB" that really like them. You might also look at Leupold's "Wind River" models and Nikon "Action" and "Extreme Action" (waterproof), as well as Swift "Audubon" series. They are all excellent glasses that come close to rivaling the "premium" binos as far as "clarity", all for less than $250 (some far less). A "cheaply made" pair of glasses will give you a headace from poor barrel alignment and "fringing" from cheap, poorly coated lenses. The characteristics you give up to those high priced "roof prism" are: they weigh more, may not be totally "fog proof", "bulkier", and may not be easy to use with "eye glasses" (many have improved "twist in an out" eye pieces now). I've had Leica's, Swarovski, and Zeiss (still have a pair of Zeiss's cheapest "Diafuns", as well as Nikon SE's) and will use my old pair of B&L 7X35 more times than not for "general duty".  I don't recommend "overpowering" your needs; 10x42 is about the "tops" most people can use "off hand" and 8x32 to 8x44 is usually a bit "steadier" and is plenty of power for "around" use. Good luck in your search.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
I like the Wind Rivers. BUT, it`s really what you like best.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »
  I've owned quite a few sets of bino's over the years, and i've seen several brands fail in the bush.  But, when i bought my Swarovski's 8x30's, i knew that they were keepers.  Expensive ? yes, but now more than 20 years later i can say they have been a pleasure to own and more than worth what they cost me.  I bought them to use, not leave at home, so i've had them in the harshest conditions Alaska has to offer for weeks at a time, and they always have been clear and worked perfectly.

I would give up that extra rifle or some other toy before i'd give up my Swarovski bino's.

DM

Offline Trav

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
Thank you all for the input.  I stopped by the Cabela's in Boise on my way to the airport the other day to look through binoculars again.  The rep pulled out a set of Leupold Mojave in an 8x42.  I really liked them.  They have twist out eye cups, and looked just a clear or clearer (in the store) than several sets costing 2 to 3 times as much.  They were not quite as bright as the Sworovski's, but with the money I would save, I could but another rifle, and at least part of a new scope.  I did not buy them yet, but think I will.  Less than $400 is easier to swallow than $1699.99+tax.
If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat???