Author Topic: Tenn concealed carry laws??????????????????????????  (Read 1102 times)

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
Tenn concealed carry laws??????????????????????????
« on: June 23, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »
Any tenn residents have a link or website for tenn concealed carry laws.  I know tenn honors my pa carry permit, but are unsure of the exact regs for the state.  Where guns are concerned even a small break in the law can land BIG trouble on your door step.  Thanks
NRA Member

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tenn concealed carry laws??????????????????????????
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
Ask and you shall receive!

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

Handgun carry permits are handled through the department of safety, i.e. the drivers license people.

After you get on the page, click on this link: http://state.tn.us/safety/handgun/handguntca.htm which will reference the tennessee code appointed number.  Google a number on the state website to read the exact code.

This really isn't a case of you can carry here, but not there, and there's really not a good place that I've found short of the required class, which knows the law.

Basically, you can't carry in a place that sells liquor by the drink so a Red Lobster is out.  You can carry in a place that sells alcohol but doesn't serve it such as a 7-11.

You can't carry anywhere more than 1500 people are assembled so no sporting events or large crowds.

No carry in a school zone but pickup and delivery of children are allowed but the firearm must stay in the car.

No carry in state parks or other state property.

No carry in wildlife management areas except in legal hunting season.

You may carry in a place of business provided they don't post a prohibition at the door.

I might have missed a few, do  you have any particular question about a potential carry situation?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Not really a spefic ? per se.  We vacation in gatlinburg 2 to 3 times a year and I tend to carry evrywhere.  Learned about the alchol one last year while trying to enter a aquarium of all places.  One spefic ? does it have to be fully concealed.  Here in PA it is a permit to carry.  I wear an iside the pants holster and being under the age of 50 my shirt is rarley tucked in but if I remove the shirt to change a tire, help move a heavy object whatever it is not a problem.  Thanks for the link as they say ignorance of the law is no excuse.
NRA Member

Offline Tn Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
Open carry is legal in Tn. Our permit is a handgun carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, just like Pa's. You'll be fine carrying open. I carry open 90% of the time and have never even gotten a second look.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.