Author Topic: Dixie J.H. Dance & Bros. Revolver  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Rob P.

• Trade Count: (0)
Dixie J.H. Dance & Bros. Revolver
« on: August 05, 2003, 04:20:12 AM »
Hello to you all. I have recently found this board and am glad I found it. I have just picked up some new C&B revolvers and have some observations and some questions that hopefully more knowledgeable folks than my self can answer. For background info I have been shooting C&B revolvers since 1998. I had to teach myself everything because nobody around here shoots'em. I love 'em. Anyway I recently bought some new ones and have a question about loads for the Dance Revolver.
1st it is from Dixie Gun Works and manufactured by Pietta. overall fit and finish is very nice. I was suprised that it is a "navy" sized pistol and not "army" sized, being that it is .44 cal. I do not want to eventually shoot this one loose. It is more for my collection and occasional shooting. I have 1860 army's and 1858 army's for my heavy shooting. With that said, what would be a good blackpowder charge for this gun? The cylinder is shorter than my 1860's have. If anybody out there shoots this revolver your input would be appriciated. Thank you, Rob P.

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 10:21:18 AM »
You can pretty much shoot any C & B revolver with as much powder as will fit in the chamber and still leave room for the ball. The cylinder of a revolver is just plain too short to permit a dangerous or damaging overcharge, providing there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the gun.
Of course, your most accurate charge may be considerably less.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 10:47:48 AM »
Try 18-22 gr of FFFg.  That is a typical Navy load.  I would also use a Wonder Wad 'twixt powder and ball.

Offline Stuffy25thIA

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 01:11:46 PM »
You wouldn't want to buy an unfired High Standard Griswold & Gunnison for your collection would you?  If so email me jstuffy@netins.net
First liar doesn't stand a chance!

Offline Rob P.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 02:55:43 AM »
Thank You, Gentleman. I always use a wonder wad unless I have run out than I use whatever lube concoction I have on hand. I was hoping someone here would have one and have some first hand knowledge on shooting theirs. Best Reguards, Rob P.