Author Topic: Should I Rechamber  (Read 1032 times)

Offline timberghost

• Trade Count: (0)
Should I Rechamber
« on: July 27, 2003, 03:32:41 AM »
Hi, I have a encore barrel from Bull Berry 20'' in a 22-250 with a 1 in 12 twist.It will shoot 60gr v-max backed by 37grs of IMR 4350 .186'' groups.
(I measured outside to outside then subtracted .224) Now 37Grs is not max but that is the best load i have found so far. If i rechamber to a Ackley Or maybie a 22-243. Do you think i would be able to get more velocity an keep the accuracy? Being as how it will not shoot the max load now. I have tried Varget,Rel 15 an Imr 4895 best accuracy with this powers were on the low side. Same thing with 55gr nosler bullets it likes
30grs of H 322 group size .236 But its slow.
                                                              Thanks For Any Help

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
speed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 11:54:42 AM »
The loads you listed, look normal to max. 30grs. H322 is max in my book with a 55gr.. What kinda speed are you getting? I would give Benchmark a try. Should be a couple hundred fps faster than H322. What you really have is, a ER(problem, situation?). Expansion Ratio is the relationship between case capacity and bore diameter. Barrel length is a big factor as well.  Rechambering isn't likely to gain much out a 20" barrel. You'll gain some I'm sure, how much (?). I've never done it on a 20" tube before.   In a varmint rig speed is good, but accuracy is better. I'm sure you have reasons for building the 22-250 on a 20"er. I'd be happy with the accuracy, and give alittle on the speed. I know this really hasn't helped you much. But 20" barrels don't leave many options in the speed catagory. :D Onesonek

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Should I Rechamber
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 12:21:07 PM »
So, why do you want more speed?

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
Should I Rechamber
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 12:43:53 PM »
.186" groups and you are wanting to mess around with the rifle?  My goodness you have a bad case of tinkernitis!!!  I wouldn't do anything but shoot that rifle.

"Remember, if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin' hard enough"
Red Green

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Should I Rechamber
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 05:08:48 PM »
I'll agree - precision is there (correct term), so why mess with success?   If you are anywhere near the so called magical 3KFPS, you have all the speed that you'll ever need for anything you'll shoot with the 22 Varminter.   A couple of hundred FPS either way makes little difference in the killing fields pard, even in the very long range shooting we all do at my Digger Wars held each spring.   As for barrel lengths, 20" is the optimum barrel length for TC's according to Fred at Bullberry - its not a function of ballistics as per say, but because of the inherent slow speed and shock of the TC action.   He must be right - all of my Bullberry 20" tubes are awesome - and they range from 17's to 6mm's.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline timberghost

Thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 06:33:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies, You were a lot of help. When i had the barrel built i told fred.I dont care how long the barrel is just make it shoot. He did,  i have never had a wildcat  before and I want one. Just because. So do you guys think if i get busy with my hunny do's the wife will let me keep the 22-250 an get a new barrel?
                                                  Every one have a good day   :D

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Wildcat barrel
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 01:33:11 PM »
Quote from: timberghost
... i have never had a wildcat  before and I want one. Just because. So do you guys think if i get busy with my hunny do's the wife will let me keep the 22-250 an get a new barrel? :D

Only you can determine what you can and can not get away with with the wife pard - good luck.   :wink:   But if you do swing it, and not knowing what kinds of shooting you do..... hands down a good first wildcat to start with would be a 17 Ackley Hornet.   Easy to form for and more fun to shoot than you can ever imagine until you have one.   Cheap to reload for and this little barn burner won't even start to hurt a quality barrel until you get up in the 15K rounds area at least.    But beware, you'll get so hooked on it that one won't be enough - I know, I have 3 of them and am thinking of adding a couple more full custom jobs (even nicer than my 'extra' grade Cooper Classic).   This is probably Fred's (Bullberry) favorite chambering for the TC's BTW.

Ladobe
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Should I Rechamber
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 12:54:38 PM »
I agree with the others.  If you're unhappy with that barrel sell it to an accuracy freak.  He might complete in club level benchrest with handmade bullets.  Barrels like that don't come around that often, despite what you read in the gun rags.  A lot of their groups shrink from the paper to the word processor.  Why no have Fred build you something else like a 22Chetah if speed is truly what you need?  Whatever you do, I would not take a chance on messing up a barrel that shoots like that one.

Offline dkhnt

Should I Rechamber
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 12:42:08 PM »
Timberghost -

Do you still have this .22-250?  (Selfishly)I think that you should go with a new .22-250 AI barrel and I'll buy the one that you are talking about in this post that shoots so good.