Author Topic: anyone tried cast bullet/sabot combinations?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
anyone tried cast bullet/sabot combinations?
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:33:58 AM »
I'm shooting a sidekick with MMP sabots and rem 240 gr JHP .44

thinking of shooting something like these with a sabot

if they work I wonder how the performance on whitetails and hogs will be
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: anyone tried cast bullet/sabot combinations?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:52:06 AM »
I have used a few different cast bullets in my muzzleloader's. They work greats on deer, hogs and I am sure black bear would not be a problem either.
I am just surprised more muzzleloader shooters don't use them.  The cost compared to factory put together bullets and sabots is getting expensive. Buying bulk hard cast bullets and sabots is a big cost savings, and they work every bit as good as the factory packaged sabots and bullets.

Just like anything else, all you have to do is find the right combination of bullet sabot and powder.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »
I've used the Cheap Shot Sabots, and they've worked pretty well for me.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:29:14 PM »
I shot quite a few deer with a 50 cal and sabot. I had a bullet mold for a 205 gr 44 flat nose that I used in a 44 mag, so I cast pure lead bullets in it and used them in the sabots. Had good luck with the combination, but recovered only one bullet, which was kind of an embarassing deal. I had my boss over for supper one evening. He was also a hunter. We were chowing down on some deer steaks when he found my bullet. It was about the size of a quarter and not much thicker. Right in the middle of a steak. He must have thought I was some butcher to miss that bullet. Now I don't keep bloody meat, no sense ruining good meat with bad. I guess this proves the old addage that when you are shooting big slow moving bullets you can eat right up to the bullet hole. Why was it my boss who had to prove it though.

I just went out and found the bullet, I keep every recovered bullet. This is the note I put with it. 42798 cast dead soft and hollew pointed. Fired in 50 cal ML 70 gr pyrodex. Deer at 75 yd lung to found in ham. It weighs 205 gr. Max dia is about .75" and is 5/16 " thick.

If I were you I wouldn't shoot hard bullets. At ML velocities use as soft as you can get. If you can't buy soft ones, get a chiep Lee one cavity mold and a hand dipper and make your own. You don't need to make large quantities, or size them or lube them so you will need very little equipment.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:16:48 PM »
A few years ago i bought some .429, 240 grain semi-wadcutter bullets from Midway.  They shoot well with the Mag Express sabots.  Have never used them on game:   Will try one on the next hog.     

Offline nrb

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
I compared 44 and 45 cal in my 50cal Huntsman and T/C inline
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:09:40 AM »
Several years ago, I tried several cast lead .44 and .45 against jacketed hollow point bullets, both with sabots. Tests were done at 50 and 100 yds. Overall, the jacketed bullets of similar weights were more accurate than the cast lead bullets. One hundred yard groups of casts were 3-6 in and jacketed were 2-4 in in both rifles. As I do not have my notes with me, this is a summary.

best,                 nrb

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »
I had my boss over for supper one evening. He was also a hunter. We were chowing down on some deer steaks when he found my bullet. It was about the size of a quarter and not much thicker. Right in the middle of a steak.

I had my boss over for dinner and he wondered why my dog kept staring at him and watching him eat.

;D

(thanks for the replies fellas)
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Huntsman1

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »
Well, I started to cast my own last January after hunting season '08. I was dissapointed with my 300gr SST's, yes they dropped the deer in its tracks but al I ever recovered was a copper cup. So I bought me a Lee C452-300-RF bullet mold. I tried some loads with different wieghts and sabots and finally after much frustration I found a load that my TC Encore likes;
-Harvester E-Z Load Premium High Pressure sabot, 45 cal 300gr or more.
-110grs Triple 7 FFG powder
-PR Bullet Vari-Flame Primer adapter (Federal Match small rifle primers)
 and the Lee cast bullet.
 At 100yds my groups are just under 1"  :o ;) :o, I recovered some and they mushroomed nicley so my lead mix is good, lets' see a "smackdown" on a deer this fall  ;D

I am also using an MTM Predator rest and a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 scope ;)