Author Topic: Oklahoma Antelope (Updated with pictures)  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Rog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Oklahoma Antelope (Updated with pictures)
« on: September 10, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
Well, next week I will be leaving to go on my first ever antelope hunt.  I have drawn a tag in Cimarron county for either sex.

I plan to leave Monday, drive out, arriving late that evening.  The next day I will visit with the land owner I've secured permission to hunt on his land.

I am looking forward to this hunt and trip.

My primary weapon will be may T/C Encore handgun in 280 AI.  Also will be taking an extra 284 Win barrel and scope for backup.

Regards,

Rog

Well, here are my pictures of my antelope hunt last week.  I shot this buck at 165 paces with my T/C Encore 280 AI, using a Nosler 140 gr Accubond at slightly over 2750 fps.  Buck did the hi ho silver and hit the ground.

Regards,

Rog

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
Re: Oklahoma Antelope
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:41:21 PM »
Good luck on your hunt! I haven't hunted antelope in Okla but got one last year in New Mexico
Cecil

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »
Sounds like fun.  Congrats on the tag draw. Did you have much trouble finding a landowner to hunt on?

Offline Rog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:46:19 AM »
Finding land owners who will let you hunt is as simple as driving out there and introducing yourself, or running an ad in the local paper, or getting on the phone, as I did, and calling the chamber of commerce and inquire about land owners who might let a person hunt.  Typically they know, or might even have a list of names, of landowners who allow someone to hunt antelope.  Some charge, some don't.  All in all, gaining permission has been relatively easy.  That's a friendly bunch out there.  Plus, I've got a distant relative who lives out there (retired judge) so I got some names from him as well.  Certainly helped.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:34:08 AM »
Is it hard to get an antelope tag? Big odds?
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Rog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:33:57 PM »
Odds of drawing an antelope tag are not very good.  I've put in for antelope for ~ 14 years now.  Finally got drawn.

www.wildlifedepartment.com should have the draw ratio on their website.