Author Topic: Can't find my gunsmith  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Kansas Boomer

• Trade Count: (0)
Can't find my gunsmith
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:36:39 AM »
Has anyone on here had any recent dealing with Lee Shaver in Lamar Mo? He has worked on several single shots for me, and done great work. I left a Remington Rolling Block with him in Jan. 07. For rebarreling and converting to 45-70. Last heard from him March 08. Said it was ready for the bluing tank. Since then, not a word. Have called and emailed him many times, with no replies. Have even called the local police, sheriff, and C.O.C. with no luck. Anybody know how to reach him?  Thanks,  Boomer
Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline RonF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Can't find my gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »
On his web site, the email is listed as lshaver@egunsmith.com.  Is that what you are using?

RonF

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
Yes, that is the address I have been sending everything to.  Boomer

Offline RonF

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:50:33 AM »
It looks like you are only about 90 miles away from Iantha, where his shop is located.  That's about 10 miles west of Lamar.  Maybe you should just drive down there and investigate?

RonF

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »
Don't wait to follow up on this.  I had a rifle "vanish" from the shop of a fellow who passed away.  It turned up a few years later in the hands of his neighbor.  Happened to be at a hunting camp and he stopped by.  According to him the rifle was given to him by the gunsmiths widow.

At the time of the mans death I had decided to wait a reasonable time to let the family get things in order.  Big mistake.  I was one of several that had problems.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:10:38 AM »
Last dealings I had with Lee he was pretty much closing down his site and using an Ebay store as it was easier for him to maintain.  He is still around (at least he was a couple of months ago when I got a midrange site for my 1874 sharps) so I wouldn't panic yet.

Try to reach him here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Lee-Shaver-Gunsmithing

He does travel to a number of black powder matchs this time of the year so it may take time to catch up to him.  But I would use his contact info in his store on ebay..

Hope this helps..
DonT

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 05:20:23 AM »
DonT, thanks for the info. Have sent an email to that address. Have called his shop many times. Phone has been answered a few times. Each time I am told they will leave Lee a message, and that I should call back in the afternoon. Of course, there is no answer in the afternoon, and my message is not returned. Do you think I can legally just go down there and take my rifle from his shop, or will I be arrested then? Thanks,  Boomer

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 03:19:43 AM »
You "should" be able to go down there and DEMAND it back IF there is anyone there to return it to you. You sure can't go break in and physically take it. Strikes me tho if he were there you'd at some point get him on the phone. It sounds to me like a once reputable gunsmith might now not be so reputable any more. Based on your experience I'd sure not do any business with him in the future.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »
Sent Lee Shaver two registered letters today, return receipt requested. One to his shop and one to his residence. Wasn't nasty or threatening. Just want my Rolling Block ASAP. Not sure how long these letters take. Will probably make a trip down to Lamar, Mo. after that.  This RB is short barreled Carbine in 45-70, a gift for my son.  Boomer

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 01:08:47 PM »
Lee Shaver signed for one of my registered letters this morning at 9:58am. So far, have not heard from him. Called the shop twice today, no answer. Have a call in for the county attorney down there, hope to speak to him tomorrow. I don't really want to take him to court.  I want to pay him for his work, and pick up my rifle!!!  Boomer

Offline jobyjob

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:52:34 AM »
Look up "independent" in the dictionary and you'll see a photo of Lee.

A buddy of mine left a Model 94 with Lee going on 2 years ago for a $30.00 repair. The kind of repair some 'smiths would do on the front counter "while you wait". Any guess as to where that 94 is as of this moment?

Having said that, you will no doubt get your rifle back. But I'd check in on it. "Trust, but verify" - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:57:18 AM »
Apparently, Lee Shaver signed for both my registered letters on the morning of the 25th. Have not heard from him. Called and emailed the shop several times since then, no answer. Spoke to the County Attorney's Rep. yesterday. Was told, there is nothing he can do for me, must be a criminal case for him to act. He says even though I want to pay Lee, I will have to sue him in Small Claims Court. Costs $40.00 to file, and it must be done in person at the court house. Guess I will be taking a trip down to Lamar, Mo. (120 miles) next week. Will keep you posted!!!       Boomer

Offline derrickman

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 02:52:09 PM »
Boomer, let us know how this plays out. He has down fine work for me in years past but like all gunsmiths I've dealt with, they take 3x longer to get it back to you than what they promised. I saw Lee at a match a couple of months ago & he said he was busier than ever. He does have a reputation to uphold & he takes pretty good care of it from what I've seen. Id' go visit him for sure.
Good luck.

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 05:58:44 AM »
Filed a "consumer complaint" with the Mo. Attorney Generals office this morning. Asking for the return of my rifle. Still haven't heard anything from Lee Shaver. I hate this, I just want to pay the guy and get my rifle back!!!!!   Boomer

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
BOOMER:
If you have proof that the rifle is yours, IE: a serial# or a bill of sale or some pics to help prove it is yours then this might work.

Go to the local police dept. in the town or county where Lee has his shop and tell them the details and show them your proof.
Request that a law enforcement officer either ride with you or follow you to his shop.
This way there won't be any acquisitions that you tried to treathen him or anything and the presence of a officer is often all it takes to get someones attention.
They will usually do what you ask with no problems.

This has worked many times in my business when I had to go and repossess a horse trailer that someone didn't pay for.
Without the officer they don't even have to talk to you if they don't want, BUT THEY WILL TALK TO HIM.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Set-Trigger

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »
  Kansas Boomer
Any up dates with your problem with Lee Shaver.
   S-T

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:59 AM »
Sorry to say, I still haven't heard from Lee Shaver. The Mo. Att. Gen. office (Sept.19) says to be patient and allow them at least 30 days to get a reply. Have planned several trips down to Lamar Mo. but each time something has come up. Hope to make a trip down there in the next week. The old Rolling Blocks didn't have serial numbers. I do have a witness, a hunting friend that went with me when I took the rifle down there, and lots of emails back and  forth, from Lee about  how I wanted the RB done, ie. sights, finish, barrel length, trigger pull. He just stopped all correspondence after March 08.  Boomer

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 08:26:55 AM »
Boomer,

Sorry to hear your having problems with Lee Shaver. The Missouri State Attorney General might just the ticket.  He got results for the guys who were having troubles with a Cannonmaker, you may have read about that.

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 08:25:32 AM »
DD, I got the idea, to write the Attorney General from the BP cannon forum.
Received a reply from the A.G. today. He states, "Our office has not received a response to your complaint. We are sending a follow-up letter to the company and will notify you when we receive a response. Please be patient and and allow a minimum of thirty days for us to obtain a response from the company. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter."  Boomer

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
Good News!!!  On Dec. 26 received a letter from Lee Shaver. Said my gun was ready, and as soon as he received payment, he would ship it to me. Didn't want him to ship the RB if I could avoid it, so planned a trip down to Lamar Mo. Several days later, I received a letter from the Missouri Attorney General. It contained a copy of a letter from Lee Shaver to the AG. He explained to the AG, the many problems he has had lately with employees and illness.
  One short email from Lee could have avoided all this hassle. Picked up the RB this morning, I looks GREAT. Never had any doubts about the quality of his work. Now I have to get to work on the stocks. Will post some pics when it is finished.  Boomer

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
"employees" - "illness" What bullsh__! The guy should be put out of business. I hope everyone who may consider his services reads your posts.

Guys like this give the industry a black eye.

Offline marlinman93

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
 Lee is a good guy, and a good gunsmith. He's pretty much stopped doing gunsmith work, and has sold his sight business to someone, but is still involved in it. I recently purchased a longrange soule from him for my Re. #1 Sporting Rolling Block rifle project. It took much longer than he quoted me, but I did get it, and it's his usual high quality.
Ballard, the great American Rifles!

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »
Here is a picture of the Rolling Block Lee Shaver did for me. He did a great job, the trigger pull is just right. It is the bottom rifle in the picture. As you can see, I haven't finished the butt stock yet. Still looking for a proper butt plate. The forarm came out good, used a 45-70 case head for an escution plate. Can't wait to shoot it. Boomer

Offline mcgiiver

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
He might be the best gunsmith on the planet, but when you don't get an answer to inquiries about something you entrusted to him, his services are not worth a dime. As stated, the hassle could have been avoided by a simple email or phone response explaining his situation.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
I agree with McGiiver...

We're not questioning whether or not he is a "good guy", but he's a lousy businessman...  and about the "best" thing you could say about him is that he is one really THOUGHTLESS individual who doesn't seem to care how much he upsets and angers his customers.

If he keeps doing what he's doing to people, he'll finally P.O. a hothead and that hothead will hand ol' Lee a large can of "whupp-azz"... it's ONLY a matter of time, not "if", but "when".

His "excuses" for not responding to many different requests, emails, phone calls, etc.,  doesn't have the "ring-of-truth" to it... when someone "ducks" THAT much and THAT hard, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye!!!

I'm SURE glad I don't have any of my guns at his shop... !!!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson