Author Topic: Need M70 pre-64 30/06 target rifle length of pull measurement/ keep curve?  (Read 595 times)

Offline ba_50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hi,

I've got a M70 I want to put a kic eez pad on and need the original length of pull, even though 13 1/2" seems to be ok for me. When it was shortened they recut the curve for the steel buttplate. As far as collector value should the curve be left on? It has been hogged out and glassed too. I'm more interested in keeping and shooting it. Will probably never have another one. Thanks.

Offline jphendren

• Trade Count: (1)
If the rifle is in its original configuration right now, no matter how worn, it will still have some collector value.  If you modify it in any way, that value is gone.  If it has already been modified, then the damage has already been done, most collectors would not be interested.  I personally would not add a pad, 30-06's don't kick that hard IMO.  If you have an issue with the recoil, then wad up a towel and jam it under your shirt, works like a charm on my .375 H&H.  Also, everytime I tell myself "I will never sell this gun," I usually end up selling it.

Jared

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
I disagree, The value will not be gone. A simple kick pad will not make it junk. It is still one of the most loved guns of all time changed or not.
 What I would do instead is leave the stock original. Get a B&C stock or any good replacement. Set that stock up just the way you want it, heck mine is glass bedded and free floated. You can always put her back the way she was.  Ron

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
When I tried to wash off the dirt with a wood cleaner, the finish came off, so no choice there, it needs refinished. Probably stick with the original. I'm going to check up on Pilkington's pre-64 stain/finish and how to keep it original.

I'm going to square off the stock since I don't think it will affect the value any.

I'm an accuracy nut and sticking a towel behind the butt wouldn't help that any. Shooting 20-30 rounds of '06  using 180-190 gr. bullets from a bench with a steel plate is a lot different than using a pad. 1903 Springfields something kicked terrible with that steel plate and crooked stock.

Jared. Sooner or later the recoil will most likely catch up with you and flinching will start . Ask most trapshooters.