Author Topic: TC Omega  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
TC Omega
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:33:43 PM »
Howdy guys, be sure you are sitting down. I did something that i thought i never would have done. I took a TC Omega in trade  ;D

The stock is what grasped my heart strings and made me do the trade.

Hope to order some bullets within the next couple days. Rifle should be in by thursday or friday depending on pony express.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: TC Omega
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Very nice big block. That stock would look real nice on my Omega X7
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Looks real nice there big block.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:13:02 AM »
OMG, good thing I was sitting down, as it was, I almost spit my iced tea all over the screen.   ;D  That's a really sweet stock on that gun.  I love the looks and feel of the thumbhole stocks, but my hands and fingers are on the small side, and I can cock the hammer much easier with the regular stock.  I think that you will like the gun, even thought you'll probably have to use sabots in it.  Maybe you'll be lucky and it will be one that shoots conicals decently too.  I just bought a brand new stainless one with the synthetic stock for $299 shipped.  Can't wait to get it.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
Looks good. I love the Thumbhole stocks so much I am replacing the Std Stock on my Encores with the Thumbhole's now. Range report is mandatory now. :D
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
Yep, range pictures will be posted as soon as she comes in. supposed to be 3 day delivery and it went out saturday and im 'specting it to be here by weds-thursday.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
Sounds good.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:43:47 AM »
Ok i got the rifle this morning in the mail. I put the open sights on and after 7 shots i had it dialed in perfectly. Except i was maxed out all the way to the right, thats ok its dead center. Max completely out for downward elevation and at 50 yards its shooting a good 8" high and i have no adjustment left over. I'll have to see what TC can do for me on this issue.

Just mounted the scope and with 2 shots, have it dialed in dead on at 20 yards.

So far the QLA looks like it will be a good one. This omega has very shallow rifling which surprised me.

For starters, i bought 40, 370g tc maxiballs and am shooting 80g pyrodex P. They load very snug and at 20 yards with open sights, 3 shots you could cover with a nickel.

Going to shoot more now that i have the scope mounted. Need to wait till evening as its getting close to 100* outside.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:50:54 AM »
Sounds like you will be shooting 3inch groups at 100 with the Maxiball just a guess. I am not sure what to tell you to do about the sites. It should be a very tight fit with a sabot and that's why it has shallow rifeling.

Rick

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:26 AM »
After shooting 4 shots at 58 yards, im guessing 4 to 4 1/2" @ 100 yards. My first shot and last shot are in the same hole. Will post pictures as soon as i am finished.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
370 maxiball, 80g pyro P, CCI 4 shot group on the left, rem kleanbore in the center "3shots" and then the other target was 71 yards and on my last 3 i found a better way to set up my shooting rest. A new day tomorrow.
This was all with a 3x9 bushnell Trophy scope.
58yrds

71yrds

Offline AndyHass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 05:03:26 AM »
TC will send you a taller front post if you ask.  I had the same issue with my X7 and I got the impression they get a TON of requests for them.  Seems they would just equip them correctly to begin with, but I have a suspicion that they know 90% of shooters will never use the open sights and the taller one can appear in a low-mounted scope so they just put the short ones on.  Just a guess.

Mine (with thumbhole stock too) also used up most of the elevation adjustment on my scope to zero.  I cut spacers from the curved side of a soda can, drilled holes the size of the base mounting screws in them, and used them to elevate the back end of my scope mount (2-3 spacers thick I think).  This got it to zero at 100 in the center of the adjustment range.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 06:38:06 AM »
Thanks, I'll give them a call today.

For fun i mounted the scope so i could dial in for accuracy and then just resight in for hunting season with open sights.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
100 yards today.  After 7 shots i had the scope close to center and took my final 3 shots of the day that measured 1 3/8" 3 shot group.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 06:30:24 AM »
Nice group.  Goes to show that the QLA may not be as detrimental to conicals as it's said to be.  On my Omega, I had a Nikon 4x Buckmaster and a Sightron 4x Compact, and I didn't have any issues with maxing out the adjustments, but I was using sabots.