Author Topic: Check out this deer stand  (Read 1158 times)

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Check out this deer stand
« on: July 27, 2003, 10:10:51 AM »
Check out this deer stand.
http://www.treesuit.com/  
With a set of climbing spurs I think this stand would have several benifits.

What do yall think?
Are any of you using one of these or know anyone that does?
How do you/they like it?
If not, give me your thoughts on this anyway.

Scott

Offline 01magnatec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 03:16:37 AM »
i'm honored to be the first reply.
First, i was looking at the shooting pics and if you don't have a bad back before you use this stand....you definatly will after :eek: . If someone planned on using this for the season they may as well not practice because all of the good shooting habits that they pick up will be lost. Like Proper stance!!
I'd try it just to see if it really works or not But just to test it out is not worth $100.
I'm skeptical, so if anyone here has one or tried one, prove me wrong.

Offline markc

Well
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 03:41:36 AM »
In order to see deer, you gotta be in the fields and woods where they live.  You gotta sit still, keep quiet and watch the wind and your scent among other things.  The problem I see immediately with that tree stand, is incredible discomfort after the first 10 minutes and that is only if you can get into the thing.  Lack of safety, and ability to face away from the tree and or to turn and shoot any direction other than the outside of the tree you are facing tells me that someone needs to go back to the drawing board and re-think that tree stand.   I think that anyone using that stand would not last long in it, and would be moving about trying to get comfortable which violates the first few rules of deer hunting.  No thanks.
markc
markc

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 04:34:56 AM »
I bought that treesuit last year.  I also use Ameristep strap on tree steps, because I often hunt on public land.  I have to be honest, at first it is a little uncomfortable.  My calves were cramping up. because I was "standing" often.  Also, I am a large guy, and my lovehandles were getting pinched while sitting in the seat.  I have used the suit more and practiced with it, and it is getting more comfortable.  It is very light to carry, and I have been doing a lot of sit ups this summer, lol.  I have not given up on it, I am going to continue to use my treesuit this fall.  You can put your feet on your steps or whatever, and turn in just about any direction to shoot.  By facing the tree, the tree can help conceal some of your movements, and it can also help protect you from wind or precipitation.  I have seen ads for the new API Packmaster stand, and that looks interesting to me.  That might be my next treestand, I am not a fan of climbers.
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline BowKel

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 02:00:29 PM »
Hey Scott...I have some experience with the treesuit.  I'm an urban bowhunter and have tried ALL kinds of setups.  I'll be tagging my 60th bowkilled whitetail this Fall...90% of my kills have been from an elevated perch of some kind.  The Treesuit is part of my hunting arsenal which also includes screw-in treesteps as well as old faithful hang-on stands.  A person will never lose a Treesuit to theft unless the thief hits your vehicle or home.

I push paper for a living and I don't ever miss a meal...what I'm telling you is that I am not an athlete, but I personally find the Treesuit to be comfortable (I'm 5-9" @ 200 lbs).  Your butt is supported by a semi-rigid poly seat that flexes a tad under pressure.  I have no problem with numbness or pinching.  I find the back support to be just that...support.  I layed my streetbike down on a highway cloverleaf 20 years ago and I have residual pain in my lower back that still causes me sleepness nights...the suit keeps my back happy.

A person DOES have lots of range of motion in the suit.  I ambush my deer on known trails, so I simply get set-up on the tree with the game trail to my left (I'm right handed).  As a hunter, I get my kicks out of seeing "nature" while afield like everyone else...but mostly I head out to the woods in a "predator zone" with a goal of putting some meat in the freezer.  The Treesuit makes me feel like a predator more than any other stand I have ever tried.  Of all the positions to hunt from, I like to cozy up to the tree with my arms resting in front of me (my bow hangs above me to my left).  I carry alot of stress home with me from work and it takes me quite awhile to slow down to nature's pace...this sitting/resting position is like heaven to me.  I simply don't fidget as much in this setup as I do in other setups.

You will need to find a system for foot placement.  Cedar tree branches work great...treesteps work too.  I have a set of Lone Wolf climbing sticks that I modified by bolting some aluminum 1 1/2" angle to the top stick as a "perch" for my feet...it works well.  On a favorite tree you could also nail a simple step made out of CCA.  

The darn thing is lightweight and the safety belt is integrated...it works for me!   Kelly Veach -  Columbia, MO

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 03:22:20 PM »
I feel that most all types of stands have an application.

Through the years I have used lock-ons, lean-2's, shooting houses, quat-pods, bi-pods, groud blinds. I even dug a fox hole overlooking a creek bed.

My favorite type of hunting is from the ground. Often times while finding a good spot I have found many a tree that would have been perfect for this type of sand. I even use climbing spikes and park my behind on a limb for a while.

I'm going to give it a try and if it don't work, it wont be the worse way I've spent a hundered bucks.  :roll:

Thanks for your replies,
Scott