Author Topic: Small bronze cannon named "San Mateo"  (Read 340 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Small bronze cannon named "San Mateo"
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
Here's another piece from Fort McNair's collection. I don't believe some of the "facts" given on the brass plate. I'd like to know exactly where this cannon was recovered or discovered. I assume it was in the South somewhere, perhaps New Orleans?

I'll add my opinion here. I don't think the cannon is nearly as early as "early 1500's." I think it is more like ca. 1800. I've seen one or two cannons with some very similar features, which were made at the Spanish cannon foundry in Lima, Peru, ca. 1800, which we know because the place and date of manufacture was marked on them. The Lima cannons were not nearly as streamlined as those made in the royal cannon foundries of Seville and Barcelona. It is possible that this South American-made cannon was at some point sent to the Havana Arsenal which was the point of distribution for ordnance to East and West Florida.

If the cannon is ever removed from its display stand, which hides the ends of the trunnnions, I'd like to get a look since there's probably more information engraved there.

Fortunately, the marks on the top of this cannon are cast in bold relief rather than being delicately engraved or carved, so they have stood up well.

The design feature of the cannon that I find unusual is the very small diameter of the trunnions in relation to the bore, less than half of the diameter. This piece must have been intended as a swivel or perhaps a mountain piece, for light charges, since it would not withstand the heavy recoil generated by a typical cannon using a powder charge of something like a third of the weight of the projectile.

Sorry I didn't measure the cannon. If I'm not permanently banned from Ft. McNair, one day I'll go back and do it.   I'm guessing it is about three feet long, with maybe a 2.5 inch bore.

Slideshow of Spanish cannon "San Mateo:"

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums%2014/?action=view&current=88fdd0c6.pbw