Author Topic: took kid shooting- can't close one eye  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: took kid shooting- can't close one eye
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 08:09:44 AM »
no guns here:  You brought up a good example of what not to do with the shotgun.  Each year near the end of our class we ask the kids if they are interested in learning to shoot skeet.  We make arraignments to take them to the local skeet range.  Some of the kids flat out don't want to go, they talk about how their dad's took them out and had them shoot his shotgun.  (Usually a 12 ga)  They don't ever want to do that again.  Peer pressure usually gets them to come along.  We know none of these kids are not going to make it for a full round of skeet, because all they have shot with us up to this point is .22RF.  My plan is to take them to station 1 and 7, where the birds are going straight away or moving toward them.  I take my son's little 28 ga H&R, also his 20ga H&R, and the wife's cut down 20ga over and under skeet gun.  I take very light loads, in fact they are so slow you can actually see the shot going out to the target.

I spend a little time teaching them about recoil, and how to hold the shotgun in good and tight against their shoulder.  Then I let them shoot, starting with the 28ga.  It's usually about the third round that brakes the first target.  Being able to see their shot string helps them adjust their shooting to where they can hit the moving target.  That's when the girls and smaller boys usually want to quite for the day.  Not the bigger boys, once they brake a target they want to do it again.  The next class we usually go to the Skeet range again, and some of them are hooked.  When the kids shoot paper in the indoor range you can tell they are proud of their results.  But when they brake a clay target, there is a gleam in their eye that is unmatched with a .22 and paper.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: took kid shooting- can't close one eye
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
I'm tellin' ya'... some dads do so much more harm than good by pushing too much or by pushing a gun that's too big and that kicks too hard.  All my kids have progressed to the 12 gauge at their own speed.  I wish sometimes my daughter would step back to a 20 but then she will shoot a round and come back for more.  It's all up to them at this point.  I'll let them shoot whatever they want.  They can buy whatever they want with their own money too.  Well, they can't buy it but I buy it with their money and it will go on my registration and in my safe until they are 18 or 21 as appropriate.  I'm just glad that my strategy and training and preperation got them to the point that they enjoy shooting and ask to go to the range.

My only "push" is that they MUST when they are physically ready learn to load, unload, shoot and make safe every type of firearm I have.  They have to be able to be safe around most any gun.  They don't have to like it but they have to learn it...  Don't get me wrong, they still don't shoot my .376 Steyr or my .45-70 Contender.  That's still probably too much for them.  But they shoot my .308 and 6mm.  They shoot my Contender in .357 too.  Learning safety and learning the gun is enough.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"