Author Topic: 3" slugs in 3 1/2" chamber, full choke  (Read 873 times)

Offline The Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
3" slugs in 3 1/2" chamber, full choke
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »
Hello, I recently picked up an H&R 12 Ga. NWTF SB1. It has a 3 1/2" chamber and a full choke. I wanted to shoot Federal 3" magnum rifled slugs in it but was told not to because of the full choke. It was claimed that the pressure would be too high. Since I shoot 3 1/2" Rem Nitro turkey loads out of it now, with no problems, I was wondering what some of you folks thought. Does the full choke cause too high a pressure rise? I'm not too concerned about recoil, but more concerned about safety. Thanks for any info.

Joe

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 3" slugs in 3 1/2" chamber, full choke
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
There is no safety problem at all with the full choke buddy, it will be safe. As a thought and question, why do you want to beat yourself up with 3" Magnum slugs? Do yourself, your shoulder, and your wallet a favor and try whatever 2 3/4 standard slugs are on sale at the local Walmart or sporting goods store. Remington Sluggers, Winchester, Federal, or the best, as far as I am concerned, Brenneke's, don't forget Remington Buckhammers, many like them also. The important thing is stick to standard 2 3/4" slugs. The deer will never know the difference between a 3" magnum and a 2 3/4" standard slug and the 2 3/4" standards will most likely shoot more accurately. Try some, you may just like them....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »
MSP Ret, Thanks for the reply. You are right that the 2 3/4" will do ok. The last time I went into my cabin, there was bear tracks all over the place and I guess I kinda got an "under powered" feeling. Having spent winters in the woods cabin, it was the first time that happened.
Thanks again,
  Joe

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »
Ah! Now the 3" Mag slugs make sense. There is no deer that needs a 3" Mag but there sure are some bears that do. I would suggest a GOOD hard slug as well as the 3" shell. Dixie Slug makes some of the best dangerous game slugs out there and I personally think the Brennekes are next in line. But If I were worried about a big bear, I would load up with Dixie Slugs. They also make a great Tri-Ball load that might interest you for the bear....stay safe and best of luck....<><....:)

P.S. I have found bear tracks in the woods just behind my camp also and I agree, it does make you look around a bit with an uneasy feeling....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:40:19 PM »
I think the dixie slugs are for cylinder bore/rifled  only James may make a slug for smooth bore but not the termenator. Are we talking black bears? if so any name brand  slug will get the job done try a few brands and see which one shoots the best. a .410 that hits the target is better than a 4 gauge that misses. My turkey gun 24" barrel full choke 3" chamber shoots  bargain winchester slugs into 4"-6" groups @ 50 yards at point of aim, as long as you can stand to shoot it. that is minute of deer or bear ;D. My 10 ga 32" barrel modified choke won't keep 5 slugs on a 9" paper plate past 25 yards,and since federal is the only one who makes a 10 gauge slug there is nothing else to try
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline gary bartlow

• http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »
I was always a big fan of a 12 ga 3" mag slug( I have no idea why ),but I noticed that I flinched real bad when shooting so Last year I went to the 2 3/4" and I'll never go back. I wasn'tintending on shooting something with it that could eat me though. As others have mentioned the full choke is not a saftey issue however my full choke gun tends to throw slugs a bit to the left and down.
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
great responses and insight by all. Plumberroy you are so correct!!! I am sorry for forgetting that the hard cast Dixie Slugs are for open chokes only, they are not undersize and do not swage down very easily. Your also correct that James (of Dixie) may make some slugs that may be safely shot of of a choked barrel, and possibly even a full choke barrel. He would be the one to ask. But I also must say looking through thier website it very informative and enjoyable. And Gary, I agree with what you have learned, 2 3/4" slugs are just about as good or better than 3" Magnum slugs for 95% of the uses that most guys put them to....<><....:)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »
There is no problem with shooting standard Forster (rifled) slugs thru a full choked shotgun.  It has been done ever since the slugs were first introduced. Do you really think that Remington, Winchester and Federal would sell a slug that could damage a shotgun?  You see warnings about shooting steel shot in normal barrels, but not for shooting lead slugs thru the same barrels.  If it was dangerous you'd see all kinds of warnings on the slugs and the shotguns.

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 03:51:29 PM »
Thank you guys for the responses, I really appreciate it. The bears are black bears. The 2 3/4 slugs proved to be more accurate than the 3" slugs, in my gun, and are more " gentle " on the shoulder. The recoil from the 3" slug was stronger than the 3 1/2" magnum turkey loads.
At the range, every body stopped over to see what was making that noise and nobody took me up on my offer to shoot it.
Thanks again,   Joe

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 08:08:55 PM »
you might want to try the remington managed recoil slugs i tried them out of my gun (which i think is the same one but mines not the nwtf) recoil wasent bad accuracy was preety good
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon