Author Topic: CVA Kodiak Pros....worth the money??  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Mulegunner

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA Kodiak Pros....worth the money??
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:57:09 AM »
Im thinking about an inline this year for a fall hunt and was checking out the Kodiak Pro....I really like the price and looks of the camo model....but I need to hear from folks who know the in line firearms??

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: CVA Kodiak Pros....worth the money??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »
i had the Apex which is almost like the kodiak. WWW.CVA.COM has the kodiak pro with ss/laminated thumb hole on sale right now under the bargain bin for $299 i believe.  Cant go wrong with that deal.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »
I've never shot a Kodiak, I've handled a few though.  They seem to be a decent gun, and I've never heard anything bad about them.  I've had a couple of other CVA in-lines that shot from just ok to very well.  When I handled the Kodiak, I liked everything but the trigger pull and the hammer itself.  The triggers on the ones I tried were a bit heavy and gritty, and the action parts "felt" cheap to me.  The stocks on them are awesome though, one of the best synthetic stocks on any factory gun, centerfire or blackpowder.  I was deciding between the Kodiak and the T/C Omega and I ended up with the Omega because it had a MUCH better trigger on it. (It was on sale too, which helped.)  If you like it and the price is right for you, get one and try it out.  With the right loads, it will shoot better than you (or me) can, more than likely.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »
I don't like the trigger or the weight other than that I have heard they are good. Bigblock455 had one that he used to post a bunch of info on. I don't know if the trigger could be improved as I have never owned one but that is a question for Bigblock455. Each person has diffrent needs and wants and for there are many ML's around $300 and I am going to suggest you go out and handle each one and find as much info about each one and then make a decision or you could post here what is most important to you and we can help you futher.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
triggers on the kodiak are preset at 4 1/2 lbs i do believe. CVA will adjust them free of charge, but they can go down to 3 1/2 lbs as this is their safety zone.

A simple trigger job can actually come in a bottle. Metal VS Metal often feels tougher than it is. I find that a simple can of Birchwood casey Molly Lube and a few sprays into the trigger Mech. will make the triggers feel crisp, smooth and a lot lighter.  My Apex and X-150 i had, i did this to both of them even though they didnt need it, but holy moly it was a new ball game after doing the molly lube.

The new cva accura has a trigger of 3 1/2 lbs and runs $288 for the non thumb hole stock. Pretty good looking rifle when its camo'ed t-hole and SS barrel.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 06:41:34 AM »
Wow, if the Accura isn't the Optima buttstock attached to a Kodiak front end, I'm a blind man.  I do think that it's better looking that the Optima action though.  Price isin't bad either.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »
All of their new inlines pretty much use the same stock design as its comfortable and is solid from the pistol grip back. I really love the solid stocks they have.

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 04:57:49 AM »
I love mine. Couldn't ask for anything else.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 07:41:27 AM »
The stock design is very similar to the Encore.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
I have the older Kodiak.  Same design except without the fluted barrel.  Very easy to clean and easy access to the breechplug without having to disassemble as with open breech designs.  Accuracy is very good.  The trigger pull on mine is just right. 

Offline old06

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:43:57 AM »
I have the Kodiak it will put 3 power belts with 80 grains of lose 777 into 1 1/2 inches and a hornady 240 grain sabot with the same charge into a inch at a 100 yards good gun for the money 
Psalm 16