Author Topic: Reloading a BAR 30-06--need advice!!!  (Read 825 times)

Offline TOWCOBRA1

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading a BAR 30-06--need advice!!!
« on: June 29, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »
I have been reloading for bolt guns for 30 yrs.  This past CHRISTmas a friend of mine received a new BAR, synthetic stock, w/scope as a gift. He purchased a couple of boxes of 30-06 Hornady ammo, 150 gr. w/ plastic tips ( SST's I guess). He sighted in his scope and bagged his 1st deer a couple of weeks later. I promised to reload some of his brass with hornady 150 SST bullets. I later realized I should not load autos like I would a bolt gun because the extra pressure might damage his weapon or cause injury. Does anyone have a recommended reload for a new BAR, 30-06, 150 gr hornady SST. OAL,powder,weight, etc, or know what the factory load specs might be? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John A.
Some factions in our country have been trying to remove "GOD" since the 1960's.  Now they are trying to remove our right to "bear arms".   I believe in freedom to believe in GOD and I believe in the right (2ND Amendment) to protect my life and property when threatened.

Offline steve4102

• Avid Poster
Re: Reloading a BAR 30-06--need advice!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:19:55 AM »
I later realized I should not load autos like I would a bolt gun because the extra pressure might damage his weapon or cause injury

The 30-06 has a SAAMI pressure of 60K whether it is in a bolt gun or auto-loader.  There should be no reason to load a BAR with less chamber pressure than a bolt action.  The BAR also is chambered in 270 Win and the WSMs which run at 65K, so max pressure for the 30-06 will not damage a BAR.

However, you may want to keep the "Port Pressure" down a bit.  Very slow powders can increase the port pressure and work the action pretty hard.  I wouldn't go any slower than the 4350's although Winchester factory ammo is loaded with Supreme 780.  780 is down there with 4831 and R-22.  I'm sure if this was a concern Win and Browning would have something to say about it.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:14:26 AM »
I suggest using a small base die and a trim die.  My auto loader works flawlessly when cases are sized and trimmed. 

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:24 AM »
Some autos need a small base die set, most don't. Try and see before spending the extra cash on specialty dies. I agree that I would stick with a medium burning powder instead of the slow stuff. I use H4350 for my 06 loads, but if I were loading an auto, I would use 4895,4064, or Big Game.

Leon

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:08:34 AM »
I'd recommend the use of RCBS X-die for FL sizing. The regular (not SB) X-die will prevent case stretching and incipient case head seperation (after a few loadings) and you won't need to trim.  Loads in the current manuals are safe in BARs. Just work up as always, please don't just jump to a max load and use it. Any of the 4895s are very good powders to use with the 150 gr bullets.  That is one of the "mainstay" powders that was used in GI loads for the M1 rifle.

Larry Gibson

Offline TOWCOBRA1

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the info. My Ken Waters manuals from the mid-'80's referenced backing down from max for the M1 Garand to keep the OP ROD healthy but no mention of the BAR and REM 742 also tested. My dies are RCBS FL sizing from the late '70's and some Lee neck sizing dies in 2004. I know autos need FL sizing. I wanted an accurate but safe reload for my friend's BAR. I have an OAL gauge. Should I set the bullet just off the rifling or just crimp it on the crimp groove?
Thanks again,
John A.
Some factions in our country have been trying to remove "GOD" since the 1960's.  Now they are trying to remove our right to "bear arms".   I believe in freedom to believe in GOD and I believe in the right (2ND Amendment) to protect my life and property when threatened.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 05:38:07 PM »
My BAR 30-06 is quite forgiving. I have loaded light and slow 110 gr loads for plinking and several different powders in 165 gr loads.

It functions well with all. I use a cheap Lee RGB die set for full length resizing. Varget has been a good powder for me.

The gun shoots under a MOA with factory 165 Fed Prem Sierras. I was happy to just buy those til the price started getting silly.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »
Should I set the bullet just off the rifling or just crimp it on the crimp groove?
Thanks again,
John A.

I would crimp in the groove for the BAR.

I load for two 30-06 BAR's, my dad's and mine. I have been using IMR-4895 and Remington 150 grain SPCL bullets. I use an RCBS small base die set and crimp with a LEE Factory Crimp Die. I keep the brass trimmed to spec and crimp the bullet in the crimp groove. We have never had a single malfunction with these loads in either gun. Dad's gun is a MKII Light Weight with a 20" barrel and mine is a MKII Safari with 22" barrel. The load I worked up does 2850 fps in the 20" barrel and about 2900 in the 22" tube.
Hope this helps!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot