Author Topic: Weaver Scope  (Read 945 times)

Offline tpdoff

• Trade Count: (0)
Weaver Scope
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »
I was wondering what everybody thought about these scopes. I remember a time when they were good and then bad but how about now. I have had Leupolds, Nikons and Bushnell Elites. How do they compare to these brands? I have been looking at them due to I'm picking up a new Marlin guide gun in 45-70 and I'm needing a scope for it. I was wanting not to spend as much money for the scope as I did for the gun this time.

Offline 300S+W

Re: Weaver Scope
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:27:22 AM »
      Well,first off welcome to GB!! Weaver has a number of different levels of scopes but beings you said you were looking to spend less than you paid for the rifle were looking at the K andV Series. You didn't mention your hunting conditions or shooting distances but since we're talking a big bore w/short bbl I'm guessing a low power scope. I have a K2.5x20 on my daughters .243 Ruger Compact Carbine that just keeps doing what it's suppose to although I did put it on my lt wt .300 to test it as I do with all my scopes and hunted with it on there for one season,it passed with flying colors. This scope has been discontinued but it wasn't all that long ago I saw it on some optics webs. Of course they still offer the K4x38 which would work for you also(got a 4 1/2 star rating). The scope I would consider though would be the V1-3x20. I've heard and read VERY GOOD reviews on this. In fact I suggest you read the reviews at www.midwayusa.com and decide for yourself. Now Weaver has recently changed hands(I believe for the better)to ATK(good article in this months G+A about them) who would SUPRISE me if they didn't honor the previous warrenty,so that would not concern me.
       There're are other low priced scopes out there that would work for you but since you asked about Weaver I'll leave it at that. Any more questions just ask!

til later

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:44:26 AM »
The Weaver line seems to have improved dramatically over the past few years.  The top of the line GrandSlam is very nice.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:54:19 AM »
 10-4 !!  Got 2 Grand Slams,a 4.75x40 and a 3-10x40. Also got 4 old steel tubed Weaver scopes.

til later

Offline tpdoff

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:48:32 AM »
Ya, I was looking at a low power scope but even with the short barreled guide gun and new ammo it's still capable of 200+ yards.  My friend has one and he claims to be hitting easily at those distances.  He also has an older Weaver and loves it, it's on a pump Remington .308 Win and works great.  the glass is fairly clear for an older scope.

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 08:36:41 AM »
   Ok,hows about Weavers Classic V2-7x32(5 stars) or go on up to the 3-9x38(4 stars)?

til later

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:47:46 AM »
I've had several Weavers, from the Classics to the Grand Slams and they all of been top of the line.

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »
 Hopefully,ATK will give the Weaver name the respect it once had.

til later

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
I have a couple of the Classic 2x10 Weaver scopes.  I think mine were made in Japan.  One on a bolt action .300 Savage, and another on 7MM Mag.  They have held up in cold weather and got the job down.  On this sub-freezing day it put meat on the table.

I think they are a far better glass then the ones I retired from the 1960’s.  The guessing game is where are they manufactured now days?  The scope pictured is a Weaver Classic 2x10.

I have been using scopes for about fifty-years and in the early years I had problems with scopes fogging up, and other issues.  The two Weaver scopes I now have in use are problem free.  To take the pictured buck I had to run about fifty yards at high elevation, spewing steaming breath into the cold air.  The scope did not fog up as earlier models had, and the crosshairs showed clearly in the shadowed opening as the deer came into view.

I do like the Nikoplex crosshairs on the Nikon Buckmaster I purchased last year, and it is a good glass over all.  The Nikon replace a favorite 2x7 Weaver (A true Weaver) scope, which I purchase in the late 60’s or early 70’s. 

I also purchased a Burris 3x9FF II scope last year.  It has the Ballistic Plex crosshair.  The Burris was the wrong scope for the long action rifle I had purchases it for and would not fit in the current scope bases.  I did a little switching around and mounted it on a Remington M760.  Frankly I was a little upset with the FFII because of the mounting issue not knowing it was designed for short action rifles.  I went to the Burris website and sent them an e-mail asking a few polite questions.  Burris did not respond.

I am now happy with the FFII.  I had a few days in the field with it last fall, which included a couple of days with a snow on the ground and the glass perform well.

I have pointed out this history because I spent a fair amount of time with the three scopes mention in 2007 starting in winter.  I compared the Weaver scope mention against the Burris FFII and the Nikon Buckmaster.  This included range time and hunting time.  In my mind the Weaver scored very high, and it is hard to beat success in the field.  The Weaver was clear and no indication of fogging in sub-freezing temperatures when being taken out of a warm pickup and exposed to cold air.  In the dim early light it enhanced my view and the crosshairs must have special coating to stand out so well.

I prefer the Ballistic Plex and Nickoplex crosshairs to standard crosshairs because I hunt country that does off opportunities for longer range shooting.  If Weaver offered a similar crosshair in the same price range it would be a battle between the Weaver and the Nikon.  I do have an old 4X Weaver with the Range-Finder Reticle but the fifty some year-old glass does not match the new ones optically and is not fog proof.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.