Author Topic: 32 Mag or 44 Special  (Read 781 times)

Offline boltdude

• Trade Count: (0)
32 Mag or 44 Special
« on: May 18, 2004, 04:50:55 PM »
:shock: I got my mon who is now widowed a .357 Taurus TT 2" Snub because she was felling a little uneasy with the old FN .32 auto they have had for many years.  After we got it I had the action lightened so she would have less trouble shooting double action if she needed to.  She seemed to tolerate the recoil of the full house .357's ok, however I am afraid that she will not be able to use it if the need arose.  So I am thinking about getting her something with a little less recoil.  Any thoughts or sugestions will be welcome.  

She has been instructed by an LIO on the proper use of the gun and knows not to pull it unless she intends to use it.

Offline jgalar

32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 02:15:32 AM »
The obvious appears to be loading it with 38spl.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 02:37:23 AM »
You can also try the new 32 NAA North American Arms Guardian.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 04:26:56 AM »
boltdude:  what was wrong with that old Browning 32 auto???  Or rather, why was your Mom beginning to feel uneasy about it??  If she knows how to work the darn thing and if it functions reliably, why change?  

Truth is, was she beginnign to feel uneasy about it or were you???  Was it the caliber or the handgun itself.  Those old Brownings are wonderful pieces and if your Mom can handle the caliber and cycle the action, I see little reason for change.  Also, at your Mom's age, which may even be younger than mine, new stuff with big bangs and stiff recoil may not be the best thought (and that's just a thought for ya).

Here's an example fer ya - a few of years ago I sold an old motorhome to a 65 y/o fella who brought his 88 y/o Mom with him for the drive home.  When we went to exchange the keys and $, Mom was carrying the money.  She was sitting in the motorhome at the back table, and just upended her purse onto the table - the $ came out, but so did an old Browning 25.  We talked about that piece - her husband brought it back from Europe at the end of WWII and she has had it ever since.  She said it works just fine and she sure doesn't/didn't need anything else.  She said that if she ever had to use it, if the first slug didn't change the bad guy's mind, either the 2nd or 3rd would.  OK Mom, whatever you say, and I'm not gonna ask you to prove it.  

Look at it this way - if your Mom ever had to use something I would rather she go to something familiar - and that is a key operational word here.  I don't know of too many perps who have been too happy about collecting a couple fo 32s to the breadbasket and I sort of doubt anyone would want to hang around for a couple of more.  Just my opinion here, but today I feel opinionated (LOL).  Mikey.

Offline boltdude

32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 06:40:36 AM »
Mikey, to answer your question about the old Browning/FN it was her that was worring about it.  She said that she was having dreams about having to use it and it not working.  It is very old, I believe it belonged to my Grandfather and I don't believe she has the grip strength to cycle the action.  I also think of it as unsafe to carry locked and loaded with the safety that the gun has.  That is why I got her the Titanium revolver.  I quess the .38sp+P would do the job nicely, but am unsure.  That's why I am asking for the advise.  Someone I respect told me these two calibers are popular for women who want to protect themselves.  If I had it my way I'd get her a .410 and tell her to keep that near by.

Offline Dusty Miller

32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 08:07:44 AM »
Let her practice with .38 specials and load it with .357 mag. for real action.  When the time comes to use it she won't notice the recoil, adrenlin will take care of that.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 08:57:13 AM »
boltdude:  I understand your concern now.  However, cknight had the best suggestion - let her practice with wadcutters or standard velocity loads in that snubby.  Or, go with your own advice and get her a 410 to keep under the bed.  Really hth.  Mikey

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 10:38:56 PM »
I'd at least let her try a 44 Spl if possible, the difference in blast and recoil is huge with the right loads, and I bet she's like it more than the snappy little lightweight 357.  And if the sight of that big old hole in the barrel doesn't dissuade a would-be bad guy, he NEEDS to be shot at. :eek:
38's are another way to go, or lighter-weight 357's.  110-grain loads?
I like the Gold Dots in all calibers, my tests say they do what they were designed to do, and velocity isn't as crucial.  

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Lancel

32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 10:51:09 PM »
I second the idea that a .38 special will do a fine job.  If working the slide is a concern now, recoil versus brittle bones may be an issue in coming years.

OTOH when my mother hit her mid-seventies, she put aside the .357 so I gave her a Beretta 3032 Tomcat.  Less recoil plus the tilt barrel doesn't require working the slide.

Larry

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 04:19:07 AM »
Lancel:  that was a great idea to get your Mom one of those tip-up barrel Berettas - man, I must be losin' a few cogs off the old wheel not to have thought of that myself.  

And for Boltdude, that might just be the answer and I apologize for not thinking of the brittle bones of the elderly first.  I should know....  

Now, to add to Lancels suggestion, there are a number of tip-up barrel Berettas, in 22lr, 25acp, 32acp and 380acp.  You may want to take you Mom shoppin'.  Mikey.

Offline S.S.

32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 10:40:14 AM »
Load the .357 with .38's.
I bought my Mother a snubbie .38
many years ago, and as far as I know
she had it in her pocketbook the day she passed away.
My Father now carries that pistol.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Old Griz

32 Mag or 44 Special
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 10:41:22 PM »
:cb2: Practice with .38s and then load it with the .38 Glaser Safety Slugs for protection. More effective than hollowpoints, especially at the range she will be shooting them. Low recoil. Easier for her to use than the automatic.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."