Author Topic: donating stuff to soldiers- what's the real deal?  (Read 602 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
donating stuff to soldiers- what's the real deal?
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
So I have been wanting to donate to the ones serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.  But what actually gets used?  What is just going to be sitting on a table to be picked through and then burned or scavenged by some local?  Like with any other charity.....how do I know that the stuff is going to get there and not just get slipped into a pocket or sold on ebay? 

Some people on another forum were talking about donating Leatherman (yeah, I know about the Leatherman guy's attitude) tools and other higher dollar things.  I can't see throwing good money away and I am skeptical about most people's intentions. 

Wideners has a similar plan set up on their homepage, but again I am skeptical that even well meaning people are actually getting stuff to the people who need it. 

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: donating stuff to soldiers- what's the real deal?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:10:50 PM »
Why don't you ask around your town. Their is bond to be someone there that has a son or daughter over there. Then get their address over there and send it to them directly. That way you know it got there and was not taken by someone else. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
Why don't you ask around your town. Their is bond to be someone there that has a son or daughter over there. Then get their address over there and send it to them directly. That way you know it got there and was not taken by someone else. Dale

That's one good method, another is to contact a local military installation and ask about donating.  Most, or perhaps all, bases have a system in place to help soldiers and their families.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
Good on ya. bluebayou, these kids, and that's what most are, KIDS, sure seem to treasure this kind of stuff. Our youngest was lucky enough to receive some good extras while in Iraq,  we sent 6 of the LED headlights and let him give them out, he said they were a most handy gift. Looks like he's headed back in June.

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 05:17:47 PM »
BLUEBAYOU. We send packages every month through our church. These are soldiers we know, or are aware of. I'd imagine that most any church, or VFW would have an address for an individual soldier. My wife says that theres an org known as SOLDIERS ANGEL that is very good. We don't send high $ items. Snacks, TP, flea collars for the ankles, disposable cameras, jerky, packets of sugar. Anything to flavor water, the 10 pks of the kool ade pwdrs are good, or anything similar. Magazines, games, cards, local newspapers, Sunday comix. The list is endless. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
Wet wipes and mint skoal are the two things that my buds can't get enough of.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 06:04:51 AM »
That's sad people  have to ship things out to those boys fighting the war. We the people pay alot in taxes the dam gov needs to give them a treat list to pick from.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:09:41 AM »
Sad indeed.  They ought to have pleasure palaces on-base for those boys.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »
MS, I don't know where you have been hiding, but it never has been the custom of the government to provide certian "pleasure" items to the troops.  In Viet Nam we cryed for foot and body powder, the rash and skin problems caused a lot of discomfort. ( don't an Army move on it's feet?  Why didn't they make foot powder available to all of us?)

Snack food items were a hot item, and still are.  M&Ms go over very well, wet wipes for those times you can't get a shower, extra socks, and kits for cleaning glasses.  As ssuggested below, if you truly want to get involved I suggest you contact a military installation and ask what they want/need.  If you can't reach one, p mail me and I will put you in contact with someone who can help.

The ole retired sarge......................

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »
MS, I don't know where you have been hiding, but it never has been the custom of the government to provide certain "pleasure" items to the troops   It was just a dream. Henry Kissinger said military men are dogs that why they wear dog tags.