Author Topic: Cetme Bolt Carrier  (Read 982 times)

Offline p89ruger_9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
Cetme Bolt Carrier
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
I bought a "new" original Cetme bolt carrier for my rifle. I changed out all the proper parts and instilled it into my receiver. I pulled the charging handle and the carrier would only close half way. I took the new carrier out and found what looks like a large roll pin/spring stop inserted about half way down in the original carrier tube. Now here's my questions. Can I remove the "roll pin/spring stop" from my original carrier and install it into the new one? If so, how? Do I need to replace my recoil spring and guide rod with a G3 to use the new carrier? Is a G3 recoil spring and guide rod longer than a cetme?

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
Re: Cetme Bolt Carrier
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:36:19 AM »
Can you see the ends of the roll pin? If it truly is a roll pins (a split cylinder of spring steel) then a spcially designed punch is used to remove and another to re-install them. Of course this implies the hole for the roll pin exists in the new carrier.... From your desciption it would appear there is insufficient spring tension to return the bolt/carrier to the battery position. The pin should increase the tension and if there is operational clearance should be oK. Your dilema is determining whether the pin is normal versus a later modification. The latter can be a bad thing.. A lot depends on whether the new carrier has a hole for the pin.. Below is a link to a website that may help. let us know how the replacement works out..

http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline p89ruger_9mm

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
Thanks for the link.

Yesterday I was in "Evans"(evans firearms and archery) to pick up some "test fire" ammo. He still has one of the rifles I worked on before. It's a Century Arms G91. I asked Jay (my boss) if I could check something out on the G91. He said "okay".
I took out the bolt carrier(which had a stamped mark on it H&K 77/88) I look down through the recoil tube and saw the same "roll pin/recoil stop". The only difference between the my carrier and the G91 carrier is, at the front end of the G91 it had a small snap ring. I didn't take the time to measure anything on the G91 carrier, but it too has the same 'roll pin/stop" as my rifle has.
I'm thinking it's a Century Arms modification maybe? I'll ask my boss if I can bring home the G91 take some measurements and do some side by side comparisons. The green one is the G91 the other is my cetme sporter.

Offline p89ruger_9mm

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 04:33:11 AM »
I just received this email from Century Arms Tech Support (Bernie)

(The part is listed as item PACE0232C (Bolt carrier guide) with a price of $9.00. It is staked in place and serves as a collar to keep the recoil guide assembly centered as the action cycles.
-Any information contained in this message is provided solely as a service to our customers and is based on assumptions consistent with information provided by the customer. No part of this communication constitutes a warranty, binding agreement or admission. Any inquiries relating to operation or functioning of a firearm or ammunition can only be answered by a qualified gunsmith after inspection of the product. Please always follow firearm safe handling practices.- )

I stand corrected
We're "Hearing it from the horse's mouth"
I've looked at both carriers and don't see any staked in place marks.
Both carrier tubes narrow toward the front, maybe it works like a roll pin and will stay in place under spring tension. If not, I'll hit it with a couple spot welds and smooth them out. I'll take a chance and buy one and see what happens. I'll let yall know how it turns out.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »
I guess it did not work out very well.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson