Author Topic: just got a optima elite .243 ammo suggestions  (Read 1577 times)

Offline stangmata

• Trade Count: (0)
just got a optima elite .243 ammo suggestions
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »
I just got a .243 and so far im very pleased with it, nice groups with cheap factory 80 grain load, but now that i put about 80 rounds thru it i want to handload any sugestions on what to go with or good factory loads that have worked good

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: just got a optima elite .243 ammo suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:49:58 AM »
Mine like the 65gr. Vmax's with a nearly max load of IMR 4064. I've found that the brass weight plays a big part of the accuracy in my 243 barrel. I sort them out to weigh exactly the same,after trimming to the same length. If I'm very carefull with the loading and shooting,I can get 1/4" groups. Neck sizing does'nt work on mine(it don't lock up the same everytime). You can check the lockup just by looking at the release lever and make sure it returns all the way,and if it does,its going to shoot alot better. At 300 yds. the 65 gr. Vmax's make some of the most spectacular kills I've ever seen.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline stangmata

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »
 :) thank you very much ditchdigger ill try that also do think a 65 grain is too small for deer hunting im gettin 1 1/4 inch groups out of 85 grain factory load should i stick to that for deer season

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:37:37 AM »
I was using the 65 gr. Vmax's on praire dogs,and I would'nt reccomend them for deer. You might try the 85 gr. boatail hollowpoint Sierra's over some IMR 4350 and see how they shoot. Mine shot the 80 gr. Rem factory ammo (usually 3 in a very tight cluster with 2 flyers) Keep track of which shot's go into the same hole,and keep the brass separate from the flier's. I found that the one's that shoot nearly into the same hole weighed nearly exactly the same after they were fired. Hope this helps.  Digger

Offline stangmata

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:21:12 AM »
 :) again thank you very much digger for the info it helps alot now i just need the weather to clear up here in san antonio so i can get to the range.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
I know what you mean about the weather,its been raining nearly all wk. up here in S.E. Oklahoma.   Digger

Offline texashooter

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »
I believe that I use to load the Hornady Vmax 87 grain bullets for my son when he started hunting. He used a Rem 243 and I got it so that you could cover three shots at 100 yrds with a quarter. I used IMR4064 but I would have to look back at my notes to check the charge. I am pretty sure that I used the low end recomend in my lyman reloading manual to keep the recoil down for him. That was (is) one of the best shooting rifles I have ever shot. Love that 243 round , the only issue with it is you can't really use it hunting in any kind of bursh at all. He killed several deer with that Vmax bullet here in Texas

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:21:38 AM »
I just loaded up some 80gr Sierra Game Kings, with 38.0 gr of IMR4064 for stangmata (my nephew). This was a load recommended to me from another shooter. The 1:10 twist of the CVA is the same as the Mossy (.243) I bought my wife last year.

Let's see how decent these are...I know to expect a little less accuracy out of hunting ammo versus match ammo. Hopefully he will have a report today or tomorrow. We are headed out to the Range this afternoon.

Please share your recipes if you have found a better one for this twist rate. Neither of the rifles liked the heavier bullets. I might get me some 90 grainers next and see how they do. I figure I might have to play with the powder to get em tweaked in.

Later!

Shooter

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 04:22:27 AM »
Well, we went to the range yesterday despite being a fairly windy day. Winds were about 10-15 mph with gusts up to 25. We thought about not shooting but that thought was short lived.

I know that hunting loads should be expected to group less than 2-inches to considered decent. Out of the Mossberg (the wifes .243), I only shot one group. I didn't make many rounds with this recipe because I didnt want plenty of crappy rounds if it didn't work out. The rifle was clean and cold. I shot a .930-inch group at 100yds. I was pretty surprised with this...I didn't expect this kind of group from this rifle and with the windy conditions. The verticle distance of the pyramid-type group was only 1/4-inch...the .930 comes from the verticle spread of the bottom two. I bet if the winds weren't there, this group would have easily been a sub half-inch group.

The CVA performed better than that. He shot a five shot group in to about an inch...would have been even tighter if it wasn't for a called flyer (trigger jerk). I don't even think I should try and tweak this load. I might step up to a 90 grain and see if I could find a good recipe for it.

Offline stangmata

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:28:59 AM »
yes the cva loved the hand loads no complaints here but i think they might be better i noticed some copper fowling after this run and need to buy a better cleaner also ive only put 80 rounds thru this barrel so i think its just gettin broken in