Author Topic: CB TALK  (Read 1072 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
CB TALK
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »
I have not had a CB since the mid 70's but I am going too do a n extensive road trip this fall and I want too get one.
GB brought up a new name and I can't find the thread that he mentioned it on.
What is the new and best or is there really any new and best.
I really used too enjoy the CB venue.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Glanceblamm

Re: CB TALK
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 02:22:51 AM »
I used to own a few myself. This was in the 70's before the craze hit and I used them till perhaps the early 90's.
You needed a license in those day's from the FCC but that was dropped latter on because of the sheer numbers of the users? everyone payed attention to stay within the legal wattage output (4watts) because big brother was sure to triangulate your position and bust you ;D (really happened to some users at home with ground plane antennas and an amp).

I think that todays usage is much more relaxed. I dont know what is the newest or the best. If I were to get a new one I would choose a model that could be (tweeked up) a little. The Cobra radios often could be tweeked up from a 4watt output to 7watts. This option may cost you a bit more because you would have to purchase from a dealer rather than a dept store unless you know someone who could do this job for you.

The old CB users around here have traded them in for Ham Radios. The voice license test used to be very tough but I believe that they practically give them away now a days. The obvious advantage of the ham is with a 35m band antenna on the vehical, they can talk 35 miles away on a bad day.

Back to those CB's, My brother has one that came with a new Harley Ultra Classic last Summer. I was asking him about the highway & the channel 19 and he said that it is mighty quiet out there. This comes as no suprise considering the cell phone.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:29:49 AM »
Kinda quiet is good.  I kinda pre-date the craze and thought they were great.  I wasn't an OTR driver but made quite a few long trips and the info and conversations late at night were pretty good.  Then the zit heads and cowboys (that thought they were drivers) found out they could talk dirty and tough without getting "caught" so I had to take mine out. You just couldn't have the thing on with a wife and kids in the truck.  Kinda like some of the computer forums nowadays.
I may have to get another one now. :D

"I'm Old Blue and I'm tellin' you,
I've got a tank full of lotion and a cup of 40 weight,
I got a date with my baby, ain't gonna be late.
I got that engine screamin', them antennas flyin',
I'm headin' South and I ain't lyin'."   Can I get a yee haw  ;)

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »
I have an Emporer TS5010 mobil 10 meter ham rig converted to work on the 11 meter CB band. It has AM, SSB & FM. I also run this with a 600 watt amp that allows me to talk to anyone around the planet.

For base station I have a few oldies including a Roybin and few others all with SSB. I run these on a 5/8 wave Solorcon stick with a 500 watt amp. Again this allows me to talk to anyone that I can hear.

I've had CB stuff since the 70's and never stopped using it.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
I think the first thing you need to decide is what the heck do you want to do with it while on the road? FRS is what I recommended as it's crystal clear reception not the static noise associated with most CBs.

If it's to keep in touch between two or more vehicles traveling together I think FRS is the way to go. Sure you're "supposed" to be licensed if over a certain wattage but seriously you'r mobile so who's gonna triangulate and catch you?  ;D If you're wanting to try to reach someone else out there or listen in on the conversations of others CB might be a better choice. If it's to contact someone in an emergency situation a cell phone is the way to go.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »
I got a copy on everybody but Cabin4. Now that is not a put down---It is just over my head.
I don't think I need a SSB. A good radio that I can talk on at night when I am driving--range 4-6 miles seems too be good.
I understand GB's thoughts but I will have the cell and no caravan.
Some of the offerings by Cobra in their model 29 seem good.
I am searching for someone with experience installing the unit---used too be a lot--but the boys don't seem to be around that much any more.
Thanks for the come back.
I still have my ears on.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 01:20:02 PM »
I use a Uniden Bearcat PC78LTW with twin 36" stick antennas mounted right behind the cab of a pickup.   Can't beat it for the money.  Mine is 2 years old and when I bought it there was a rebate deal going on so I ended up with about $105 in the radio, $40 for the antennas, and $12 for an external speaker and an ear bud.  Simple enough to install yourself.  Standing wave is set with a knob on the front of the receiver which eliminates cutting coax and cutting masts as was needed in the past.  Also comes with power mike and weather channel capability.  I've helped out lost truckers locally on occasion and conversed with many more in my travels and have many times have been complimented on the function of the radio. 

The converted ham sets may talk around the world but not for under $200.  Besides all I want to know is what is in my way just down the road not hundreds of miles away.

Midland offers an equivalent but I took the word of the gentleman behind the counter as the Uniden is what he recommended.  Turned out to be a good choice.

Please don't start any of that "Good Buddy" talk.  I honestly can't take it.   

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »
Nothing wrong with FRS but your range will be limited by the terrain your around because it operates on FM. FM (FRS) waves do not follow the terrain and curvature of the earth. Its all "Line of Sight".

CB including SSB operate on the AM band which is significantly less impacted by the terrain such has trees, hills and mountains. AM radio waves follow the curvature of the earth. Its not "line of sight".  Not to mention you can run allot more power on CB especially SSB. SSB is crystal clear as clear if not clearer then the FRS (FM) band radios and the range is significantly greater.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »
If you are traveling with kids be advised that the general demeanor on the radio has dropped since the glory days. Rudeness, vulgar language, and racism are the high points. I drive a truck for a living, and won't put one back in the cab. I'm not a prude by any means, but just got fed up with the ignorance that was spewed to often. My advice would be an XM or Sirius radio to entertain yourself, XM if you like talk Sirius if sports is your thing both have great music. just my .02.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:34:31 PM »
The purpose is three fold:
Ability to obtain traffic information.
Ability to find directions (especially thru large cities and possible short-cuts in rural areas).
As a distraction when driving and  a final benefit is in case of emergency (I have a cell phone).
No kids---no wife (she is flying to NY and I will pick her up)--no directions other than general (North to Northeast)--no time schedules (except too meet her plane)--well there is a planned stop to take mr and mrs ironglow too dinner.
After I put the Hen that must be obeyed back on the plane home I have no plans or directions (with the exception too check in with the Hen). I may drive by GB's place if they are home---heck I may end up in Oregon-if I like the road. Gonna play two or three of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Courses in Bama.
This is probably my final fling at a road trip on my own--no direction, no director.
A CB should be a good thing to have.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline BullyDawg19

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 07:57:14 AM »
since no one has answered your question fully - ill chime in. buy you a cobra 29 with a good P&T and mate it to a wilson lil wil or 1000 with short load and you'll be in the money. great reception and will get out there too. mine swings around 38w and sounds great with the 1000 roof mount on my Pickup. it'll cost about 150-200.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »
No kids---no wife (she is flying to NY and I will pick her up)--no directions other than general (North to Northeast)

William, If you are going solo, what makes you think that the vehical will want to go anywhere near NY? You might decide to go to Seattle instead and it will be ok
If you are just a little late picking her up.  ;D ;D ;D

That Cobra 29 sounds good to me as I always was partial to them. You hit the nail on the head on the 4 to 6 mile range but again, if you would purchase from one who deals in electronics from
The pagers on up and works on them, they may be able to tweek you up to a 9 to 12 mile range without adding any parts to it. Your new radio would be known as a Cobra 29 magnum ;D

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 09:58:08 AM »
Gonna play two or three of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Courses in Bama.

Silver Lakes (pretty sure that's the right one) is less than ten miles from my house I think altho I've never been there so can't say the precise distance. I'm not a goofy golfer as we call them around here.  :o but for sure the turn off from US431 to that course is well under ten miles from my house. I pass it each time I go shoot skeet.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »
Don't waist your $$ on a Cobra. Get a real radio that will work for years and one that has SSB and FM. In the long & short run, you will be much happier. AM is fine for channel 19 road info. If you actually want to talk to someone and would like to do it with the greatest distance possible, SSB is the only way to go. FM is good for close range communication with someone you know.

Here's a link to a place that sells some real radios.
http://www.hyelectronics.com/
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »
Any of the silver uniden radios will be a good radio
the little black ones are throw away radios.
as said forget cobra uniden built cobra at one time and they was good radios
but they are no longer made by uniden.a lot of offbrand stuff have poor filters inside and will be very noisy
wile your car is running.in most casres uniden have good noise filters and inline ones can be bought if you need more.
most of all get a good set up not cheap junk,
a good 68/78 uniden series will work good and then will not work for crap
if you skimp on an antenna system.a radio is only as good as theantenna it works with.
i have a kenwood hf radio and yes these will talk long range and world wide as said before
but you must have a good antenna system but this is way overkill for your needs.
a personal radio set may work also.

For a  mobile unit I would get nothing less than a uniden 68 series radio.
run the power cord to the battery,yes you will have to add wire you can buy the double strand red and black
at radio shack etc you need a good heavy 10ga. or so wire.
ground the mount bracket to a good ground with 10 ga wire also.
get a wilson little wil mag mount antenna these are great and stick down hard
 and make sure you have a low standing wave and your set
 ;D
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »
Uniden and Cobra are the same cheap junk. The printed circuit board, which is the guts of the radio in them both are the same exact designs. The only dif are the exterior package.

If you really want a decent radio, get one with SSB and FM. It will provide you with the additional modes that will make having a radio significantly more usefull. The link below is to a distributor that sells radios worth spending the money on. Go with a Ranger radio and you will actually find it usefull beyound the chanell 19 road info.

http://www.hyelectronics.com/
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:42:55 AM »
Thanks for all the reply's.
The problem associated with many of the answers is ME. I am not an electronics guy---I seek advice.
The SSB is a good answer and I will investigate, but I must find someone who can do this work.
The concerns are that the equipment is the tip of the iceburg. Some folks can make a 2x4 look good and function well---many can only twist wire.
Why is a SSB the answer? I have read some and understand that a SSB will produce a stronger signal--that is for others that have a SSB. For needs such as I have described Would a SSB be a real advantage?
I am still listening.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 02:20:56 AM »
William on your excursion to NY make a pass through Seymour Indiana and pay a visit to http://www.deputyelectronics.com/.  These guys have been around for ever and have anything you could want right there in the store at a good price and will be more than happy to do the install also.  On top of that they will be  happy to talk to you and educate you to any level you desire.

If you intend to initiate a new time consuming hobby or become a "Super Trucker" then by all means go with SSB and expensive equipment.  Considering what you state your wants and needs actually are the Uniden 78 series like I use will more than fulfill your requirements.

Give the guys at Deputy a call and get some real advice.

Offline jhm

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:32:07 AM »
William if all you want is a CB to listen to the road conditions and trucker chatter forget the SSB they are only good if you are conversing with another SSB, all you need is a AM cb radio capable of ch. 19 reception, I used to drive a trk and have several of the cobra, galaxry type radios, but on our trip in the Motorhome I just use a cobra hand held with the antena build on it, no more exterior antena on my vehicles, its all just plug and go vary simple vary cheap and you will be able to hear what is going on you wont be able to do alot of talking however with the power levels out there in the big trucks you wont be able to over come their strengt with any of the stock radios.  HTH   JIM

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 05:08:14 AM »
I have not used a CB since about 78, Cobra was one of the best then, and uniden
One thing  i see has not changed about CB's, everyone has a better idea about what is better.
If you just want to hear whats going on, 5-6 miles down the road i think any with a good antenna
will do that, easy to install. The Antenna is just as important as the radio, and get an external
speaker. As Kurt l said easy to install. If you have to talk over every one else, and be heard 30-40
miles, you will need more money. it is just like anything else, their is no need to what you will need.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »
Well now---I found, thru my coffee friend--who is a retired trucker---a man who has been in the bidness for about 40 years--and is still in the bidness.
We talked, as did the woman who owns the cafe next too his shop about this concern.
The general consensus of both was to forgo the SSB--though they both liked them, but not for my needs.
I got a Cobra 29, tweaked with a lil wil.
I turned it on and went back 35 years in one second. Same ol dirty mouths, loud and profane, no cooth, no manners, silly ol farts---I loved it.
Broke 19 for a radio check and got good responses.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD