Author Topic: Help with RCBS Keith please!!  (Read 646 times)

Offline George Denys

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with RCBS Keith please!!
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
Hi Folks, I bought a RCBS Keith in 44 cal for my SAA in 44 Special. I wanted to stay true to Elmers advice in "Sixguns" so I used a mixture of 16 to 1 part tin. If I get the mould hot enough and the lead hot enough to fill out the mould ( especialy the base) I get wiskers. Every vent will wisker. I then added more lead to 20-1 and it still bothers. I have checked and checked to see that the mould is closing and it is. You cannot see light through it. Is there another mix that is better? What am I doing wrong? George, frustrated George :-\

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: Help with RCBS Keith please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
sounds like your mould has oil in it try cleaning it out with break cleaner if it is a aul mould you will have to smoke it get a good layer of soot on the inside of it you should be able to get good bullets with your lead temp at 650 to 750 deg. to heat up the mould dip the corner of the mould in the lead for 2 minutes and it will be hot enough then but you have to get that mould clean before you can cast good bullets D Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Help with RCBS Keith please!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:49:43 AM »
geroge i would first try what was suggested and clean the mold real well. Take a tooth brush and some dawn dish soap and scrub  the heck out of it. If it is still doing it you mold isnt closing. I can cast very very hot and not get wiskers. It could be that the top half of your mold is not closing completely.  16-1 and 20-1 can be a little tougher to cast with then ww or #2 but it shouldnt be giving you that much trouble. Its just a matter of getting the temp and rythm right. One bit of advice. When i cast with pure or pure/tin i will usually run my pot wide open to keep the lead good and hot and then slow down on my casting rythm.If the bottom i closing and not the top its hard to see light. Also make sure your spruce plate is closing freely. If its to tight it may be opening your blocks a touch when you close it.
Hi Folks, I bought a RCBS Keith in 44 cal for my SAA in 44 Special. I wanted to stay true to Elmers advice in "Sixguns" so I used a mixture of 16 to 1 part tin. If I get the mould hot enough and the lead hot enough to fill out the mould ( especialy the base) I get wiskers. Every vent will wisker. I then added more lead to 20-1 and it still bothers. I have checked and checked to see that the mould is closing and it is. You cannot see light through it. Is there another mix that is better? What am I doing wrong? George, frustrated George :-\
blue lives matter