Author Topic: A Good Low Velocity Bullet?  (Read 922 times)

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
A Good Low Velocity Bullet?
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »
My Omega X7 is proving itself to be a very picky eater and prefers 80gr of Pyrodex RS, but shoots several bullets well with this charge.  I am curious what other's thoughts are on a good expansion bullet at this lower velocity.  I'm not sure that Dead Center's or Shockwave's (avg 2 1/2" @ 50 yds w/120gr and cloverleafs w/80gr) will open up and am pretty sure that the Barnes' Spitfire (which shot a 6" group with 120gr @ 50 yds but shot 1 1/2" at 80gr) will not open up at all.  Had good success with XTP's out of my Black Diamond and will go there if needed, but prefer a bullet with a better BC for that 150 yd shot I get now and then.  Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with me!  Also am waiting to hear more about the Scorpion Gold PT.
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: A Good Low Velocity Bullet?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
My X7 shoots the 250 grain XTP in a crush rib sabot over 100 grains BH209 real good 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, I m hoping they expand good. Im also shooting  180 grai gold dots ove 70 grains BH209. Ive heard they open up real good. Ive heard the shockwaves shoot right thru if you dont hit a bone. The last couple years Ive used the hornady SST 250 grain, They worked real well for me But I was pushing them a little faster 110 grains RS select. Sorry I couldnt be more help. Good luck. Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »
POWERBELT WITHOUT A DOUBT! They perform best with low FPS. They expand easily due to them being pure lead.

I shoot them in 50cal and weights from 270 up to 405. everyone of the bullets gets an 80gr RS charge and i am good to go!

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
My X7 shoots the 250 grain XTP in a crush rib sabot over 100 grains BH209 real good 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, I m hoping they expand good. Im also shooting  180 grai gold dots ove 70 grains BH209. Ive heard they open up real good. Ive heard the shockwaves shoot right thru if you dont hit a bone. The last couple years Ive used the hornady SST 250 grain, They worked real well for me But I was pushing them a little faster 110 grains RS select. Sorry I couldnt be more help. Good luck. Jay

Unless you're talking about the bonded Shockwaves, the regular Shockwave and the SST are the exact same bullet. 

I'd imagine that the Dead Center's would open just fine, they're a just a lead bullet.  I'd say that any bullet designed for pistol velocity or any plain lead bullet would work just fine for your application.  I'd stay away from the all copper bullets or anything that promoted high velocity (relative to ML velocity) expansion properties.

Offline vabowhntr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »
TC Cheapshots worked very well for me at that velocity.  Pretty much an all lead HP bullet.  All passthroughs at 85 gr of pyro in my NEF Sidekick.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:58:41 AM »
I've never seen the need for expansion of a 1/2" bullet giving complete penetration.  If I needed a long range projectile, then I would look to light weight bullets in a sabot with higher velocity charge;  Then I would look for expansion.  JMO

Offline fourty-five-seventy

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:41:06 PM »
I use 300gr 44/50 and 45/50 DeadCenters with 68 -70gr by volume ffgg TripleSeven in my NEF Sidekick and have had great results on deer with complete pass thru out to 100 yds. I will say though that my gun shoots the 44/50 DeadCenters a tad bit better.

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »
you might also look at the sabertooth bullets i have heard good things about them and i have some of the scorpion pt golds that would be good or maybe if you know anyone that makes cast bullets with soft lead they should work good as well.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
Sabertooth is not one for expansion. I shot some 250s with 80gr powder and at 50 yards the bullet got really weak and thin in the centers. At 100yards the bullet expanded to the size of a dime.

I like a big expansion hole.

Offline Lane

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:21:55 AM »
My Omega X7 is proving itself to be a very picky eater and prefers 80gr of Pyrodex RS, but shoots several bullets well with this charge.  I am curious what other's thoughts are on a good expansion bullet at this lower velocity.  I'm not sure that Dead Center's or Shockwave's (avg 2 1/2" @ 50 yds w/120gr and cloverleafs w/80gr) will open up and am pretty sure that the Barnes' Spitfire (which shot a 6" group with 120gr @ 50 yds but shot 1 1/2" at 80gr) will not open up at all.  Had good success with XTP's out of my Black Diamond and will go there if needed, but prefer a bullet with a better BC for that 150 yd shot I get now and then.  Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with me!  Also am waiting to hear more about the Scorpion Gold PT.

Yes, SpitFires WILL open up with 80g out to 150yards :) ;)

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:20:27 AM »
My X7 likes the 300gr Keith Nose from Precision Rifle.  This bullet will open great at low velocity but has a poor BC for 150yd shots.

I am not sure the SST would be the best choice at low velocity, though I have seen the 200gr version open well at 300 yds where the velocity is way down so I wouldn't count it out.

I used to kill a ton of deer with the HTP bullet over 85gr Pyrodex, but I think the XTP is much harder.

I would recommend looking at some of Precision Rifle's offerings like the Extreme or something, decent BC for 150yds yet still all-soft lead.