Author Topic: What magnification binoculars for varmint hunting  (Read 715 times)

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
What magnification binoculars for varmint hunting
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »
I'm finally ready to spend a few $$$ on a good pair of binoculars and would like some recommendations on the magnification I should be considering.  I'll be using them primarily for varmint hunting, mostly to find ground hogs in farmers fields and the like out to 3-400 yards. 

I've had one person recommend something in the 12X range, and another recommend something in the 7-8X range.  Neither do much varmint hunting, so I thought I'd see what the folks here thought.

Please, I'm not looking for recommendations or debates on particular brands or styles, I just need your thoughts on the magnification I should be considering for the stated purpose...

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What magnification binoculars for varmint hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:33:09 AM »
The 7 to 8x range will be the most verstial and alot liter to carry. I have a pair of 8x40 Wind Rivers that I really love. For the 300 to 400 yrds. range the 7 to 8x will work supper. If your going out past 600 yrds. they still work pretty well, but more power will help, at the price of the extra weight.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »
Ten power is hard to hold steady without a rest of some type. For many it's TOO MUCH of a good thing and yeah I'm one of those "some" that it's too much for. More than 10X and you'll need a tripod to use them effectively. If you're wobbling so much the image bounces it might as well be blurred as in a cheap glass.

Get a good quality 7X to 10X and forget all the rest. I find 8X to be a good compromise for me for most all glassing chores. If you're in a position where you can steady them on a stand or rocks or limb or whatever a 10X is really nice and you might even be one of those who are steady enough to hand hold them but I am not.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.  You've probably just saved me from making a purchase I would end up regretting since (like many people) the larger magnification was more attractive to me...

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:39:18 PM »
go for the lower power lighter, easier to use, usually a larger f.o.v.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Val

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:10:32 AM »
I use 10X42 for all my hunting. They are compact and I have no problem viewing and holding them steady. I wear bi-focals so I went with the Leupolds which have a long eye relief. I can use them all day wearing my glasses.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.