Author Topic: Hype with some modern semi-auto pistol prices?  (Read 618 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Hype with some modern semi-auto pistol prices?
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »
I bought a new Ruger P-89 two weeks ago, been to the range twice.  So far, it is a nice gun, paid around $385.00 for it.  I also have 2 CZ-75's paid around $350.00 to $400.00 for them several years ago, very strong and accurate, also a Springfield XD-9.

Why is the price on the Glocks and the SIGs so much more than the Rugers?  The Glocks are "combat accurate", not target guns.  Forbes ran an article several years ago and the Glock cost the company $76.00 per unit to make.  The SIGs are USA made, at $854.00 apiece.  Is there a marketing mystique of supposed better quality to get people to pay more, when in reality the Rugers and CZ's work equal to or better than the overpriced Glocks and SIG's?

Thanks. 

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hype with some modern semi-auto pistol prices?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
I don't agree that the Sig's work equally well---I think they are a better weapon, in any catagory.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »
  im a sig man all the way as to believeing in the workmanship..
 but i once had an titan 25 that i carried for years ..for those years i was not even aware that jamming an feeding problems was a factor..i had to finally mess it up myself ,,or it would still be shooting ..i learned about the feeding problems an such when i started trying to replace that gun..so i gotta kinda agree with chris..im looking for a used cheaper 40-45right now..function,, over looks or prestigous name,, for me..
 my sig was the finest gun ive owned probably.. but funtion wise it did miss feed couple of times,, until i learned the gun.. the titan never hicupped once in 18 yrs or more..

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »
Chris.  I think you are a little high on your estimates on the Glock and Sig.  I have seen them at much lower prices, and if you will settle for a factory rebuilt gun they can be bought almost as cheap as the Ruger and CZ.  CDNN has a new Sig P220 for $579.99, or a P245 for $589.99, or a Glock 37 or 38 for $399.99.  A factory rebuilt (like new) 22 or 23 for $339.99.  

You are right about the CZ, it is a well built pistol, and as tough as a Marine First Sgt.  I don't have much experience with the Ruger, but have fired one several times, I don't think either will compete with a Sig for accuracy, and doubt that the Ruger will perform flawless for the same number of rounds.

Bottom line, it is all about what you feel comfortable with, and have confidance in. When my butt is on the line, I feel much safer knowing I am packing a SIg.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:53:25 PM »
I have owned all the above mentioned handguns. Still own examples of all but the Rugers. For the money, my first choice of the ones mentioned is the CZ.. Second I prefer the Glocks, third choice goes to the Sig. Not that any one of these guns are a lot better than the other, just my order of preference. All of them will serve you well. However, I prefer 1911s and Hi Powers over all of them. Just personal choice.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jgalar

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:02 AM »
My brother and a friend of mine both sold their Sigs and bought CZ75s after shooting my CZ. The CZ75 is at least as good as any pistol available anywhere.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:29:09 AM »
I've owned one of the Rugers in .45 acp it was the worst jamamatic I've ever owned. That POS wouldn't feed much of anything. I almost had to give it away as none of the local dealers even wanted to take them in trade at any price. Never again for me.

I own multiple Glocks and have never ever had a single jam with any of them yet no matter what they are fed. I've never owned a Sig so have no experience with them. I had a CZ once long ago and it seemed a good gun but I really never used it much.

A CCW gun is one you are carrying to bet your life on and if/when you need it that's exactly what you are doing you are betting your life it will work every time when needed. If you wish to trust your life to one of the cheaper guns feel free to do so. Me I'll take a Glock or Browning HP or a S&W revolver with me and hope I don't have to ever use them but if/when I do I'll KNOW they will work first time every time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!