Author Topic: If you only had 200.00?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
If you only had 200.00?
« on: August 12, 2003, 03:32:03 PM »
Using eye relief, clarity and dependability, what 2x7,3x9, 1x4 or a scope in this range would you pick if you only had a total of 200.00 to spend :( . The scope would go on an encore 209x45. Thanks, Don

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 03:53:28 PM »
I would look at "Swift" scopes. I feel like they are a great deal for the price.

Scott

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 04:02:06 PM »
Swift also has an over the counter waranty. If it's messed up or gets messed up they will swap it out for free on the spot. I have a pistol scope and a 3x9x40 and haven't had a problem either of them. They are clear to the edges and hold their zero.

Offline SHW

• Trade Count: (0)
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 05:33:53 PM »
I know that some people will disagree, but I would buy a 3X9 Burris Fullfield II.  I like them & have had good success so far.

Number two would probably be a Burris 3X9 Elite 3200. Though I don't own one, everything that I have read or heard has been positive.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 05:53:13 PM »
Leopold VX1

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 01:27:56 AM »
I would agree with Bullseye.  The new Leupold VX-I's are starting to be the best buy right now with the new features.  The VX-I's now have Multicoat 4 on external lenses and they upgrade the tracking system to 1/4" friction adjustment.  Plus they are now offered in Matte finish.  Now when you compare the VX-I's to the VX-II's there is only the difference of the "click" adjustment.  You will have one the best eye reliefs and a lifetime warranty.  Just my 2 cents.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Dave in WV

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 02:53:33 AM »
Nikon Buckmaster @ $199. I understand they are what the Monarch used to be before Nikon upgraded the lens coating for the Monarch line. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 03:56:35 AM »
Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7. Heck I have one of them on the rifle I hunt with the most. And I wasn't limited to $200 when I selected it for the rifle.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 05:46:21 AM »
Quote from: Dave in WV
Nikon Buckmaster @ $199. I understand they are what the Monarch used to be before Nikon upgraded the lens coating for the Monarch line. Dave

Dave is mostly correct.  The glass on the Pre-Monarchs is in the Buckmasters, but the overall construction of the Pre-Monarchs is similar to the Monarchs.  Still, the Backmasters are great scopes nonetheless.

That notwithstanding, for the money, I would get an Elite 3200.  Heck, I too own one (and a few 4200s - although a bit out of your price range.)

I don't know about the VX-1s as I have no experience with them, but the Elite 3200s also have rainguard, and they also have a lifetime warranty.

I recomend the 3200.

Zachary

Offline RandyWakeman

• RandyWakeman
Re: If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 09:18:40 PM »
Quote from: doninva
Using eye relief, clarity and dependability, what 2x7,3x9, 1x4 or a scope in this range would you pick if you only had a total of 200.00 to spend :( . The scope would go on an encore 209x45. Thanks, Don

A Bushnell Elite 3 x 9 x 40 or a Sightron SII 3 x 9 x 42

http://www.chuckhawks.com/scopes_muzzleloaders.htm

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 10:33:40 AM »
Yep, go with the Bushness 3200 elite. :agree:

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2003, 12:42:32 AM »
Swift is very quietly making a big come back with a great line up of very good to excellant optics. You hardly hear a peep about them but from what I have been told by a few local shops that carry them is that they are about the best on service. I have handled a number of thier scopes and I am impressed with the optical quality and the price. Also I have been told they are as durable as much higher prices scopes.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline urika20

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2003, 04:17:37 AM »
I bought two Bushnell scopechiefs from Natchez and I'm impressed with both of them. The 3x9x40 is as sharp as a elite 3200. The 3x9SC sells for $80 on a closeout special at natchez,and at my local wally world the 3x9 elite goes for $180.

www.natchezss.com

urika20

Offline Gregory

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2003, 03:56:15 PM »
I'd look for a used Leupold VXII.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline SeanD

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2003, 03:43:32 PM »
Leupold VX1.

Why mess around?  At less than $200, its a real bargain, and the only scope i would consider.
sean

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2003, 06:33:03 PM »
SeanD said:

Leupold VX1.

Why mess around? At less than $200, its a real bargain, and the only scope i would consider

Well I dunno if it is a real bargain or not. Won't argue that point. BUT it is not nearly the equal of the Bushnell Elite 3200 and yet costs more. Now to me that's not a bargain. Folks with their heads in the sand about Leupold are missing out on some really good stuff that's come along while Leupold has been mired in the sand and living on the reputation of their customer service which is a model for the industry.

BUT Bushnell's warranty reads exactly the same.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2003, 04:05:02 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard

BUT Bushnell's warranty reads exactly the same.

GB

You know, it's interesting you say that.  It is undisputed that Leupold has excellent customer service.  BUT, why would you need customer service if your products don't have any problems?

The point I am trying to make is that from what I have been told, although Bushnell reads the same, Bushnell has less scopes returned back to them than Leupold.

Don't get me wrong, I own three Leupold Vari-X IIIs - all with illuminated reticles.  Leupold is not my favorite brand (that's because Elite 4200 is :grin: ), and I haven't had any problems with them yet, but other people have.  On the other hand, have you ever heard of an Elite 4200 or 3200 owner returning their scope to Bushnell for repair?  I never have.

Zachary

Offline SeanD

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2003, 10:03:20 AM »
Bushnell bought tasco and wont warranty my tasco "lifetime warranty" scope.  That is garbage.  And it doesnt exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy about them honoring the warranty on an elite 3200 ten years from now.  Not that it will need it, from all the reports i read, the elites are dependable scopes.  I just dont like the way they do business.  I dont worry about Leupold.

I dont own a elite 3200, so this isnt from experience.  But what i have read from others is that the VX2 and elite are very close opticly.  I have also heard that with the new MC4 exterior lens coatings the Vx2 isnt far behind the varix3 2.5-8 that you gave such great review of a few years ago on your site.  If the new VX1 is opticly the same as the VX2 now according to leupold, and the only difference is click adjustments which for most people that sight in there rifle and leave it set, id say the VX1 2-7 at $180 (gloss) or $200 (matte) is a heck of a deal.  So is a 3200 at $175, but there isnt a lot of savings there.  Maybe there is a difference in the optical quality between these scopes, but how much?  Is it significant?  I guess from all ive read it probably depends on the person, it seems like each has people that compare and prefer one to the other.  The bigger diference seems to me to be features, one is smaller and lighter with more eye (3.7 in compared to 3 in for the 3200), and the other has rainguard coating.  But i still dont understand why the leupold isnt nearly the equal to the bushnell, but id like to know if you would clarify.
sean

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2003, 11:01:07 AM »
I you have a Walmart around, you can get the Elite 3200 for $151.00.  I think that is hard to beat.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2003, 01:31:29 PM »
Bushnell purchased the rights to use the Tasco name in the manfacture and sale of new scopes from that day forward. They DID NOT buy the company nor accept any liability for past performance or production. Why would you expect them to fix a scope made before they bought use of the name? If they have purchased a going business then they would have. They did not do that.

As to my comments. The VX1 has friction lock not click adjustments. Acceptable to me but not to the majority apparently since that is Leupold's stated reason for dropping the old Vari-X II line to begin with. The optics of the Elite 3200 line is generally considered to be superior to the new Leupold introductions or the older Vari-X II line. I happen to agree. I certainly DO NOT agree that the new VX1 is even close to the Vari-X III line for which I still have a great deal of respect. The Vari-X III 2.5-8 is just about my personal favorite scope for a hunting rifle for a number of reasons. Is it perfect? Nope not in my opinion. I'd like to see several changes made but the total package is one I like and use and still recommend. I'd like to see the optics upgraded a bit to equal the Elite 4200 line and I'd like the Rainguard coating on it. Other than that it is really a fine choice and even without those features it is a fine choice. It could be better tho.

If Bushnell had a 2.5-8 size scope in their Elite 4200 line I might change my mind on what would be my personal favorite for real hunting rifle. The 2.5-10 is really too big and heavy for me to adopt as an all round scope. Just don't need that extra magnification and would rather have more FOV and eye relief one or both and less weight and size. Great scope but not on an all round hunting rifle for me personally. For folks who want the power and don't mind the size I think it is a superior scope to the Leupold.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2003, 03:26:17 AM »
I don't know if the Leupold VX-I would be first and only choice, but they are getting a lot of praise.  The new VX-I has the multicoat 4 coating on external lenses which is the same as the VX-II and Vari-X III, with the exception of the III having the coating on all lenses, internal and external.  The basic difference between the VX-I and II are the "click" adjustment now.  The new Leupold Rifleman is basically the old Vari-X II in a Matte Finish.  I think that the VX-I is the real bargain right now, specially with the features that they are offering.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Bullseye

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2003, 03:33:54 PM »
Ya all might be right with all these high tech comparisons between the Leupold and Bushnell.  I can however tell you why I have never bought a Bushnell 3200 --- because it is only made in a matte finish.  Their will never be a matte finish scope on one of my guns until that is all that is made.

Pretty stupid reason huh!  It is just purely personal preference, but the optics are close enough that I cannot see a difference and I do like my guns that I pay my hard earned money for to look the way I like them.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2003, 04:46:56 PM »
Bullseye, whatever cranks a fellar's tractor. I won't have anything BUT matte finish on my guns.
 :eek:
GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Zachary

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2003, 05:53:38 PM »
For me, it all depends on the finish of the rifle.  If it's one of my stainless/synthetic rifles, then I will ONLY put on either a matte or silver finish scope.  On the other hand, if it is a glossy wood stock with a mirror gloss blued (black of course) barrel, then I will ONLY put on a gloss scope.  To me it wouldn't look right to put on a gloss scope on a SS/SYN gun or, conversely, a matte or silver scope on a glossy blue gun.

I once got a great deal on a Nikon scope - it was a sporting goods store that was going out of business.  I got a $400 scope (regular selling price - MSRP is alot higher) for $240.  Problem is that it was a gloss scope and I had it mounted to my Browning Stainless Stalker.  Boy did it look out of place.  I have since removed the scope and will mount it to my Tikka Deluxe so that the finishes will match.  

Never again will I mix-match the finishes.

Zachary

Offline Bullseye

If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2003, 06:09:33 PM »
Guess I should further explain my tastes to go along with what Zachary is saying.  Other than 2 revolvers and a Contender frame, all of my guns are the nice deep blue variety.  They all wear wood stocks also.  It is another one of my preferences that seems out of place today, I think guns should have would on them for stocks.  I am warming up some to the stainless.  Maybe some day I will get in this century, but right now my current tastes cranks my tractor.  Nicely put Graybeard, I have not heard that before.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
If you only had 200.00?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2003, 01:10:32 PM »
We all have our preferences and there is just no accounting for tastes.

To me a hunting rifle is a tool. It is not a collector's item or something to be put up and looked at and ooh and ah'ed over. It is a tool pure and simple and simple is how I like them. I want my rifles to wear laminated stocks and like the gray or pepper best of all. I want the metal to be SS with a bead blasted finish for low light reflection and ease of maintenace. I want my scope base/rings to be solid as a rock and them and the scope to have a matte finish. I want objectives no larger than 40mm and mounted as low as possible. I want the power to max out no highter than 9X and less is even better.

Now you show me someone else who wants their's just like that and I'll most likely show you another crotchedy old fart who thinks of guns as tools first and for use not looks. Don't make me right or wrong. Just the way I like them.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125