Author Topic: Still looking for a scope ?  (Read 721 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Still looking for a scope ?
« on: August 17, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
 Ran into a Pentax game seeker, any good how does it compare to a Nikon pro-staff ?  or Simmons pro-hunter

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Still looking for a scope ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »
To he honest, I haven't heard or read a whole lot about the Gameseekers.  They do offer a great warranty/replacement on them, and they seem to have a lot ro offer for the money.

The ProStaff is an excellent scope for the money, especially the 4x32 rimfire, which is suitable for just about any gun, even the hard kickers with 4+" of eye relief, and the 2-7x32 Shotgun scope may just be the best multi-purpose scope for the money around right now.  I've had a couple of ProStaff's and never an issue with any of them.

As for the Simmons, are you talking about the old model or the new model?  I have one of each, an older 6-18x40 AO and a new Master Series Pro Hunter 3-10x44.  I like both of them, but I admit that I think that the older model is more durable.  There's something about the newer one, just the feel of the power ring and adjustments, that doesn't feel as solid.  The new definitely has better optics/glass/coatings, and the eye relief is longer too.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice scope, but the price difference between the old model and the new, there's not enough there to justify it IMO.

You might look at the some of the offerings from Swift Optics as well.  The Premium line seems to be a good value with a lot of choices.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:45:53 PM »
Well there is a scope that was designed pretty much for what your wanting, it's very useful for the follow up of big game into dark cover, it's a dangerous game scope bu Schmidt & Bender but looking at the scopes you mentioned somehow I don't think you/ll like the price  :'( however it has top notch glass and build quality and is availabel with a lighted reticle. Don't have the details to hand so you will ahve to do a net search to foind out the prices in the US.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:09:51 AM »
 You are right, I can"t afford one. If I were a globe trotting hunter I would want one. It's hard for me to pay more for a scope than my rifle. I have shot a new Simmons 3x10x44 on a .243 and it was excellent. I also use a Nikon 4x40 buckmaster on my 88 Win .308 and the Bushnells 2x7x32 Banner on my Ml and 45-70  and a Leupold 2x7 # 4 crosshair on my Blr. .358 for bear. Now I have a problem: I want a decent light ,clear scvope that holds zero. for my new Ruger Hawkeye .358 and something with a little more power on the 88.( I discovered the old old 88 Will really shoot to 350 yds)  I don"t know what to do with the Hawkeye, I bought it on a whim.So it's in a box under my bed. I've killed 27 bears,1 moose and 1 elk with my .358 blr. seems to be a lucky rifle for me.
    Believe me guys I'm taking in every wood you say about scopes before I make a decision. and I appreciate ALL your comments. God Bless, Carl

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:32:06 AM »
Carl, how much do you want to spend?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 06:44:55 AM »
I recently picked up a Pentax Pionneer that I'm going to mount on a new 7mm mag. I got it brand new off ebay for under $200 delivered. Its a 4-12x40 and the glass looks dam good to me. Pentax makes the glass for Burris and I'nve been told the Pioneer line is equvilant to the Fullfield 2. But I also understand Pentax discontinued the Pioneer model but at under $200 bucks you can't go wrong. The same fullfiled 2 goes for close to to $300.

If your looking for a great deals on scopes, check out ebay. I also recently bought a brand new Nikon Monarch in 3-10x40 for delivered for $240. Not to mention many other scopes brand new at great prices.

You can find the Primos label scopes on ebay which are really Nikon Monarchs at unreal prices.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »
There have been some good deals on ebay lately.  A month ago I bought two of the Burris 3-9x32 Short Mag scopes (the American made scope, now their called the Timberline and made overseas), NIB, with ballistic plex reticles for $165 each, shipped!  Most places sold them for over $250 up to close to $300. I love compact scopes,  the ballstic reticle doesn't mean that much to me, but for the money, I just had to get them.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
That is a good deal on the Burris short mags. SWFA sells them new for between $165 to $169 depending on finish. But it does not include shipping.http://www.swfa.com/c-2177-burris-timberline-rifle-scopes.aspx
Another good low cost source is www.budsgunshop.com. These guys have some of the best prices around on most stuff. His prices are not real good on the Burris short mags but on guns and other scopes you usually can't beat them. I just placed an order for a few Leupold mounts, ammo and a scope for my new Winchester Wildcat 22lr. No one could beat there prices and I shopped a bunch of places including ebay for except for the ammo of course.

Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 03:37:51 PM »
For under $200 its hard to beat a Burris IMO. I ve got 3 &love em.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 05:49:35 AM »
Funny you should mention Buds Gun Shop. I bought a new Ruger Hawkeye.358 from there last week.Bought it on impulse, don"t know what I'm going to do with it as I have 3 .358 levers already. I didn"t know they carried anything but guns.  The best deal I've found is at Optic PLanet. ,good price, no shipping cost and good service.
   I found a Pentax Game seeker for 120.00 and the Nikon prostaff for 149.00 also a Simmons prohunter 3x10x44 for less than a 100.00 (I had one on a .243 and it was a great scope. So I'm still searching but getting it narrowed down some.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »
That is a good deal on the Burris short mags. SWFA sells them new for between $165 to $169 depending on finish. But it does not include shipping.http://www.swfa.com/c-2177-burris-timberline-rifle-scopes.aspx
Another good low cost source is www.budsgunshop.com. These guys have some of the best prices around on most stuff. His prices are not real good on the Burris short mags but on guns and other scopes you usually can't beat them. I just placed an order for a few Leupold mounts, ammo and a scope for my new Winchester Wildcat 22lr. No one could beat there prices and I shopped a bunch of places including ebay for except for the ammo of course.

I wonder if the Timberlines are so much cheaper now (than the Short Mag) just because they're made overseas?  Or do you think that they changed the internals, glass coatings, etc?

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 02:23:11 PM »
I'd take the prostaff if it were me.  The Pentax is a good scope for the money, but the field of view isn't as large as the Nikon.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater