Author Topic: Using WW for Cast Bullets--Watch for Zinc Contamination  (Read 1706 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Using WW for Cast Bullets--Watch for Zinc Contamination
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »
Just learned that zinc contaminated WW for cast bullets =ONE BIG MESS

Check all wheel weights to make sure there are no zinc ones and discard them.......................it is impossible to cast with zinc contaminated lead!!

Wish someone had told me before I smelted a whole bunch!

Mc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Using WW for Cast Bullets--Watch for Zinc Conatmination
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »
I've heard folks mention such before but for the life of me fail to see the problem. I once long ago used a bunch of babbit my dad had used that had a high zinc content and found it worked just fine other than the bullets from it were quite light in comparison to normal lead alloys. It melted fine and casted excellent bullets. What problems has it given you?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:07:44 AM »
I can't comment on casting with Zinc, but a welder buddy of mine was welding on galvanized steel and made himself sick nearly to the point of death.  Zinc poisoning is pretty serious stuff.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »
I've had lead contaminated with Zinc before.  I was casting and couldnt get a good bullet even with very hot lead and a hot mold.  I went to my Lee reloading manual and he states the exact problem I was having as zinc contamination and to discard the lead.  I refilled the pot with known lead and got a perfect cast on the first try.  For some reason zinc won't let the mold fill out; usually at the lube grooves.  I know tin improves the sharp edges on casts and maybe if You have enough tin they would cast.  I found a 5 lb round wt that I thought was lead until I read that zinc was brittle and one hit with a hammer shattered the wt.  I later found that it was a sacrificial anode for a salt water large boat.

Offline copdills

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 01:26:46 AM »
+1 ON STAY AWAY FROM ZINC , MESS A GOOD BATCH OF WW'S UP

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »
How does a person know if the ww's contain zinc?? Color?? Markings?? Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks, mark

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:56:27 AM »
Zinc will cast if the temperature is high enough, but it will need to be allot higher than normally used to cast lead bullets..................stay away from it.

I am told that lead WW are are marked wit a 'Z' or 'Zn', but I am not sure.

Mc

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
How does a person know if the ww's contain zinc?? Color?? Markings?? Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks, mark

Zinc has a higher melting point.  I find that if I keep the temperature down the ones that are made from zinc will float to the top because they are much lighter also.  I just skim them off with the steel clips.

Chris

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Using WW for Cast Bullets--Watch for Zinc Contamination
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »
actually you can make good bullets out of zinc. Ive done it. There featherweights though and its actually easier to cast with pure zinc then with lead with a slight contamination. Like was said it can  be done if you run everything hot enough but the big hastle is getting the contamination out of your pot and molds It tends to hang on along time if you dont clean the ### out of everything.
blue lives matter

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:05:42 PM »
Good tips. ;D

Mc ;D

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »
Tried a new bunch of WW.........................................same results .........full of zinc and WILL NOT CAST. I think WW in Canada are zince-lead alloy and in the U.S. they are lead.  I have to source some #2 Alloy somewhere..........I don't know where................Anybody know a source in Canada?

Thanks

Mc

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »
I got a free bucket of WW's here about a month ago. I got around to melting them and I found stick on Zinc, and clip on zinc. For me they floated and I got them off. I tried to get some hot enough to melt and just could not get it hot enough. They all floated.  Ron

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
About the only source for good hard lead in Canada, would probably be Ebay.  I usually get soft lead and linotype castings; when they aren't bid up too high.  Watch out for the shipping charges.  I don't know if the flat rate shippers will go to Canada.  The best prices usually have high shipping charges.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 07:40:40 AM »
Last night I dug out my stuff ( I gotta get a bigger pot!) and melted some of the wheel weights that I got last week. I'd seen the warnings about the stick-on zinc weights, but never had encountered them. Last night I did, along with several weights that looked just like regular weights, the biggest difference is that the ends were radiused, rather than "pointed" for lack of a better description. 
I made about 40 ingots, and still have almost half of a 5 gallon bucket full of weights. I also have a pretty full container of clips and dross, which is the main reason I stopped last night. I hope to go fill up my gas tank today or tomorrow so I can melt the rest, but there is a Gun show  in Dothan this weekend that I need to visit....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »
Because antimony has to be alloyed into solution with lead at about 1100 degrees it is quite likely that this is how zinc is getting into clip-on WW.

I finally gave up on clip-on WW because of this and stick-on WW because they are so 'dirty'. I bought some 'virgin' lead and tin amd mixed a 1:20 tin-lead alloy that fills out the molds pefectly. It costs more money but what the heck.

Anyways no more WW for me.

Mc ;D

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
Heretic!  :o
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!