Author Topic: 200 grain Shockwave Bullets  (Read 985 times)

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
200 grain Shockwave Bullets
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
Who uses them and what kind of loads are putting behind them?  How's the accuracy?  What I've read seems to say that they are pretty good all around bullets.  Now I'd like some real world feedback on them.

Thanks!

Offline AndyHass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 200 grain Shockwave Bullets
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:23:21 AM »
I have shot them for many years...must be 5 or 6 now?  Almost since they came out I think.

Both of my Omegas like them at 110gr FFg 777 (2100 fps).  I never tried any other powder with them.  In my main gun (which has been accurized) I shoot sub-MOA with them.  This load is fairly flat for a ML, I practice with them out to 400 yds where groups are still MOA.  I want to try them further but they are pretty slow by then and hunting anything larger than a groundhog at that range would not be for me.

I have taken deer with them from 10 to 338 yds.  None have been lost.  They expand well, most shots are pass-thrus, including the 338 yd shot (bang-flop).  Occasionally if I hit both shoulders in excess of 150 yds I will find the bullet under the skin on the offside shoulder.  The lead has sometimes separated from the jacket, but only exiting the offside shoulder after punching a ton of bone (lead exits, core stays under skin).  I do not consider this bullet failure as it has always done its job well first and this only happens plowing through every bone in both shoulders.

Most deer have dropped, a few have run a short distance.  None far enough to think they suffered less than sufficient damage.