Author Topic: How I spent my summer vacation.  (Read 935 times)

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
How I spent my summer vacation.
« on: September 16, 2007, 05:29:35 PM »
Thought since this forum is all about handies. I would put it here.
Taken with a .280 handi in Northern Quebec on Sept. 2nd.
48 inches, front tip to front tip.
51 inches inside palm to inside palm
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: How I spent my summer vacation.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »
Do I have to tell the grandkids that Santa is going to be late this year because he has to find another deer?   ::)

Nice, very nice.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 07:20:59 PM »

Very Nice...Congratulations...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 10:57:17 PM »
Very nice indeed. What load did you use? You may have just initiated a demand for 26" .280 Handi barrels!
 Now you have to build a new family room addition to the house so that you can hang the mount.
Congrats!
Don

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »
GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice bou!!  Hows the back scratchers?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 01:02:58 AM »
Very nice ;D ;D ;D You are going to have to give us more details. ;) What bullet, what range, lung shot? how far did he run? etc. GOOD JOB!
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 04:30:38 AM »
GOOD JOB
we do need more details, especially us that own handi 280's
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:32:28 AM »
Sure want to do that some day but got to bag that Elk first very nice job. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:50:47 AM »
I thought that was an elk...  ;D   ;)
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 06:19:41 AM »
Congrats...yes please give us more details about the hunt whenever you get a chance! I would love to do a caribou hunt.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 02:52:14 PM »
Congratulations!!!
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »
 Very nice! Congrats, but where's the Handi? Must be shy in front of the camera.
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »
very nice. but we are definately gonna need some details on that one.

Offline atitagain

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
   Let's see if I can cover everything.
   It was the first week in September, 2007.
Northern Quebec.
   We arrived in camp on a Friday afternoon. The camp caretaker took all of out on the front porch of the eating cabin, and pointed across the lake and said that they see a lot of caribou over off that point, and down around that inlet, and quite a few haven been taken over by that beach, and they have taken a few nice bulls over on that hill side. I said that it sounds like you have them just about everywhere. He answered, yep, pretty much.
   So everybody started tossing bags into cabins and grabbing rifles and what ever else they might need and groups headed out in every direction.
   My friend and I decided to take a canoe across to the beach and just walk a BIG circle to try and get a feel for the land and figure how we wanted to hunt it the next day.
   We got to the top of the first big hill, and figured we would walk to the top of the next bigger hill, and that should give us good view of the landscape. Then we figured if we crossed over to the top of the next really big hill, we could circle back to the water and to canoe, then cross back to camp and be back in time for dinner.
    We finally got to the top of the third hill, and at just about the same instant, we saw something move.  (Now I should probably say that I have always been more impressed by wide racks then anything else.) I saw he had a decent rack, and tried not to look at it again. I got down on one knee, lowered the legs on the bi-pod, got situated, and he just stood there. Facing us with at ever so slightly an angle. The bull would look at me, then over at my buddy, then back at me, then over at my buddy. All this time I am trying not to look at the rack.
   The bull just simply would not turn to offer a broadside shot. We were about 80-85 yards apart. I finally put the cross hairs on him where the neck and shoulder met. He turned his head, I saw the rack fill my scope, and thought OH MY GOD!!!!
   I squeezed the trigger, the .280 roared, the bull twirled and trotted in about a 15 yard half circle, and just stood there. I popped out the casing and reloaded. Got the cross hairs on hi lungs and before I had a chance to cock the hammer, he dropped over backwards.
   My buddy ran over to me, and we walked up the the bull, I put a last shot through his lungs to finish him off quickly.
   When he went down, he went back onto his rack, so we couldn't it sticking up to see how wide it was, but when we got up him, the only thing I could say was HOLY S*!T, HOOOLY S*!T, OH MY GOD, HOLY S*!T....
   So we decided I needed to go back to camp and get the caretaker, and my buddy would stay with my caribou. So we could find it again, and in case something else came along, maybe he could get a shot..
   I got back to camp, told them I got one. They said they were hoping they would have the night off from packing anything out. I told them where I got him and that he was a nice one, and they asked, what were you doing that far back in?
   Now, I am sure that when most flatlanders, so to speak, come up there and shoot anything, they will think it is a nice one, so they didn't get too excited.
   When we got back up to where he was, the caretaker looked at him on the ground and said HOLY S*!T.  Then I felt better. He said a bull like that was worth walking over another couple of hill tops.
   It turned out to be the biggest bull taken in any of their camps that year. Outside spread was just over 53 inches. Everything else in our camp fit inside of it.
   When we got back to base camp to spend the night before coming home, I was talking to another hunter from another camp, and commented that I had gotten a pretty nice one and told him how big it was, and said, oh that one is your's. That's the one everyone is looking at and talking about. They got it out of the freezer to show everybody.
   Like THAT didn't make me smile from ear to ear.

I carry a single shot.

Offline atitagain

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
Oh, and by the way.........
   I had my handi set up with a varmint forearm and varmint stock on it. I love the feel of a thumbhole stock.
   I used standard Remington 140 gr. factory loads.
   I tried 3 or 4 different hand loads, and nothing flew any better.
   I was getting 1-1/4 groups at 100 yards.
I carry a single shot.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »
Congrats again!!  Thanks for the report!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.