Author Topic: Can a trigger on a Handi be too light?  (Read 577 times)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Can a trigger on a Handi be too light?
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »
I really worked over the trigger on my newest frame. It is very light and crisp. It is safe; I tried to bump the gun from every angle I can think of, slammed it on the floor and tried to push it off. I am satisfied it is safe. Now comes the problem. The trigger is so light, that I have to make a very real effort to pull the trigger far enough to raise the transfer bar to fire the blame thing. I almost have to stab the trigger to make sure I get the transfer bar up where it belongs. Have any of you run into this?
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Can a trigger on a Handi be too light?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:02:03 AM »
I posted about this a few months back, seems to be a problem to me but not most others.  Larry

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,145648.0.html
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
I read your earlier post. You seem to experience the same thing I did. On a heavier pull I do not seem to have any trouble getting the transfer bar up. I wonder if it is a timing issue. The transfer bar does not start to raise or raise enough when the trigger breaks. I would think that I have to make sure I pull on through or it does not make a primer strike at all. Maybe we can generate a little more discussion on this. :-\

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »
The transfer bar is a solution to a problem that may only exist in the warped mind of a lawyer, or the person who thought it up.  It adds cost, several more parts and a few more points of failure and increases the lock time of the rifle.  H&R got along for years without it, I don't know if an older style hammer could be fitted to eleminate the entire mess.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »
I agree. I thought about taking the transfer bar out completely and grinding down the hammer stop to make a direct contact with the firing pin. With out a half cock or a floating firing pin this would not be good. I wondered if you could cut a deep half cock notch into the hammer? I just can not believe that the trigger can be released before the transfer bar goes up into position, but it does. I have a Ruger Single Six that has a transfer bar. When you cock the hammer, the transfer bar raises into position. Not all the way up, but enough to let the hammer strike it. If the hammer falls without pulling the trigger, the transfer bar drops down. The Handi's transfer bar is totally trigger driven. The trigger has to be pulled to raise the bar. If you have a light trigger, then it can release before the transfer bar raises. :'(

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:44:56 PM »
...the warped mind of a lawyer, ...

There is neither reason nor justification for these unwarrented personal attacks that add nothing to the thread!   >:(  I'll have you know that I am... I am... uh,  :-\  dern, come to think of it I do have a warped mind...  nevermind...  :-[ 
 ;) ;D

My 7x57 has a light trigger and worry about this very thing every time I shoot it.  Hi-ebber, (and day always be a hi-ebber) no problems so far.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »
The old style gold hammer on my 45-120 BC fits fine, I performed the transfer bar-ectomy when I installed it, works fine without it. I also installed an old style double spring from Wolff, it's all in the FAQs in the low profile hammer mods part 2.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
Sorry.............................................................I ment warped in a good kind of way. ;^)

Larry

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
I certainly did not mean to bash the Handi rifle. I was just looking for someone to talk to about the "problem". I know I caused it, but darn it, I really like the trigger that light.

Tim - I will check out the hammer mod. That maybe my answer. I did not check it because I was not looking for a "low" hammer.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »
The low hammer mods address one of the biggest complaints of Handis, the high hammer spur, the old hammers had a lower spur and a half cock notch, and didn't use a transfer bar. There are some that have a low spur that are made for the transfer bar too, just depends on what model they were on and when they were made.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain