Author Topic: Lead melting pot?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline neald

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Lead melting pot?
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »
Hello out there,
 I just got back into shooting after 14-15 years.
Got my old Lyman Mould Master pot out the other night, no cord. I called Lyman and talked to a very nice and knowledgable lady, she told me where to get my cord, she also said that if ANYTHING went wrong with my old pot that it was trash. I got it working but the thermostat is not doing well. So I am going to have to get a new pot. OUCH. So my question is this, ( I had a Lee many years ago, thats why I got a Lyman) which is the best bottom pour pot . I saw where Lee had a 20# pot now , but know nothing about it, the Lyman and RCBS pots look very similuar. Which one is the better pot. Or is the new Lee a good one
 Thanks in advance
Neal
 Or is there another pot?

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Lead melting pot?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
the lee is a good product
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:46:05 AM »
for about 8 years now I have had a RCBS pro melt pot can't say I have had any trouble with it if I did I would just send it back and they would fix it at no charge becouse of the life time warrenty on them green and blue (rcbs and Dillon ) are my two favorate colors when it comes to casting and reloading they have a life time warrenty on them yes you will pay a little more for them but it is worth it to me to have the peace of mind knowing that it will be fixed D Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:21:06 AM »
ive got two of the lyman 20s and one old lyman 10 like yours. personaly i think the old lyman 10 lb pot is a cadilac. Ive used the rcbs pots too and think there a slightly better overal pot but are quite a bit more expensive too. Magma makes a pot thats better yet but again much more expensive. Any one of these pots would last the avearge caster his lifetime. the lees ae cheap and can make bullets but its like the differnce in driving a yugo and a bmw. you get what you pay for. If your going to pitch that old lyman id pay you for the shipping to send it here. I could use it for parts to keep mine going.
blue lives matter

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
I am using a Lee bottom pour pot and it works well. It holds 15#  of lead. I suppose that there are better ones but this one will do for now.

Mc ;D

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
  The Lee pot is a great one if you aren't going into MASS production. A couple hundred a week is a good max to think about. If you are casting thousands of bullets a month, there are other bottom pour pots that MIGHT be better. I cast with 2 ten pound Lee pots. I rarely use both at the same time. Using one to top off the "working" pot if I'm casting BIG bullets or making a batch of bullets for long term plinking or practice. TEN pounds of alloy can make a lot of bullets in 30 caliber and smaller. Like about 500 150 grainers and maybe 350 (200) grain bullets.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
I have two Lee bottom pour pots, a 10 pounder that I keep for pure lead and a 20 pounder for W/W. I've had them for years and can't complain....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!