Author Topic: Slugging Barrels  (Read 422 times)

Offline tikipirate

• Trade Count: (0)
Slugging Barrels
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
So I got my new 45-70, which I will be reloading for, and slugged the barrel with the only lead sinkers I could find, "Water Gremlin" purple sinkers at wally world. It was tough, but I got it slugged, wish I had grease as some suggested. To make a long story short Ive got some soft lead balls now, and they seem a bit softer than the egg sinkers. Anyone know if Ive possibly damaged my new barrel? It looks fine, and was consistently within about 12" off a rest at 100yds with factory Remington rounds first time out after slugging. Any thought appreciated

edit: with open sights.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Slugging Barrels
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:21:49 PM »
I wouldn't think you did any damage.
Probably just made more work for yourself by using harder sinkers!!

The 45-70's are great shooters and can be loaded from mild to wild.

Just keep in mind that stout loads out of these things will screw you into the ground.
Just ask around, I'm not kidding!!

I reload for mine and keep it at trapdoor levels just for the fact that I shoot it alot and don't like to get pounded!!

Off the bench with my reloads, mine will group 3 shots touching at 100 yds and many others on here will tell you the same thing.

Good luck with it and have fun!!

Spanky

Offline RussB

• Avid Poster
  • Always walk softly and carry a big ol' smoothbore.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:42:16 AM »
I agree with Spanky, I don't "think" you would damage the barrel, but I also suspect that particulair sinker is rather hard for the chore at hand.

FWIW; I have owned a plain-jane SB-2 in 45-70 since about 2000, or 2001. It has become my favorite go-to rifle for about everything from Elk, to Wabbits, and it does it all all with the proper loads....as was so aptly stated, they can go from, "Mild to Wild" in a flash and they will "screw you in the ground" in a New York second.....Trapdoor levels, and just a hair above, makes for pleny gun!

I have never slugged the barrel, although I have all the right stuff, and a bit of experience to do it, and I have never tried to make a .458 Win Mag, or a Quigley out of it.
I have always seen this little rifle as fitting a very unique slot in the world of .45 calibers.
My particular rifle has been a dream to cast for, and I do shoot mostly cast bullets. I have shot everything from round-ball, to heavy 500 plus grainers, and they have all shot well enough for about any hunting situation. I can also get 3 shots touching at 100yds, and I never wonder about the "exact" size of the bore of the rifle that is doing it.

Enjoy that little rifle, that's what they make 'em for.

Respectfully, Russ...

Offline tikipirate

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »
Just a follow up...floated the fore end and put another 40rds through it and groups shrank to 3" at 50yds. I think groups will shrink as the barrel gets broken in. Last shot of the night was 25yds and right thru the bullseye.. Im satisfied.

Offline RussB

• Avid Poster
  • Always walk softly and carry a big ol' smoothbore.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
It may take a little playing around, but that gun will do better than 3" at 50yd, much better!

Russ...