Author Topic: Help me pick the right barrel for turkey hunting.  (Read 349 times)

Offline bigdave1121

• Trade Count: (2)
Help me pick the right barrel for turkey hunting.
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »
I'm about ready to send in my receiver to get a couple of rifle barrels slapped on, and I figured I would have them fit a shotty barrel too. I want something I can do some turkey hunting with, but I'm new to turkey hunting (and shotguns to a certain extent) so I was hoping you guys coupld help me make my selection. Would my best bet be to get the 28" Vent Rib, Screw-In Choke (Mod) barrel, and then just buy a turkey choke too (total cost $81 for barrel + $30 for the choke)? Or should I buy the 24" or 28" Turkey Extra Full barrel (for $63) and just forego the screw-in chokes altogether?

Does the ability to be able to swap out chokes justify the added cost?

Thanks for the help.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Help me pick the right barrel for turkey hunting.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
I'd go with the vent rib barrel and get a choke tube from another source. The reports on the nef choke tubes have been less than stellar. Another option would be a 20ga TDC barrel or one of the other screww in choke barrels. The fixed choke barrels are fine as well but the screw in chokes add versatility.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline bigdave1121

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »
Yeah I was leaning towards the vent rib barrel now too. I figure it would be easier to upgrade from a bead sight that way, seeing as how so many companies sell fiber-optic sights that fit right onto the vent ribs.

I've never seen H&R/NEF as an option when ordering those sights though. It's always just Remington, Mossberg, etc. Are the H&R's similar enough to any of the other manufacturers barrels so I know which sight to order?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »
Due to a shoulder injury I now use a 20 gauge Pardner with screw in choke. The factory MOD choke patterns well out to 30 yards.

Before the injury I was using a Pardner Turkey with 24" barrel and factory extra full screw in choke. It threw an amazing pattern at 40 yards using Remington Nitro 3 1/2" turkey loads. I was very happy with that barrel.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783