Author Topic: hash smoking bush didn't get his wish.  (Read 1363 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
hash smoking bush didn't get his wish.
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:10:39 AM »

Protesters Fred Gavin, right, and Andre Lapallade, left, demonstrate before ...
26 minutes ago

Loading... 63 Recommendations
HUNTSVILLE, Texas — With the parents of his victims watching a few feet away, a Mexican-born condemned killer apologized before he was executed for his part in a horrific attack on two teenage girls 15 years ago.

"I'm sorry my actions caused you pain," Jose Medellin told the teens' parents late Tuesday. "I hope this brings you the closure that you seek."

Nine minutes later, Medellin was pronounced dead. His execution, the fifth this year in Texas, was delayed for about four hours while the U.S. Supreme Court weighed his appeal.

"It's been a long night," Randy Ertman, whose daughter was killed by Medellin and five other gang members, said after watching the 33-year-old man receive lethal injection.

The appeal to the nation's highest court focused on whether Medellin was denied treaty-guaranteed help from the Mexican consulate when he was arrested.

The court rejected his request for a reprieve, with the majority opinion noting that the Justice Department had not sought the court's intervention.

"Its silence is no surprise," the court said, adding that prosecutors never wavered from their position that Medellin "was not prejudiced by his lack of consular access."

Four justices dissented.

The case attracted attention after the International Court of Justice said Medellin and some 50 other Mexicans on death row around the United States should have new hearings in U.S. courts to determine whether the 1963 Vienna Convention treaty was violated during their arrests.

Texas authorities argued Medellin, who came to the United States when he was 3 and grew up in Houston, never sought Mexican consular protections until four years after he was arrested. By then, he already had been tried for capital murder, convicted and condemned.

Medellin was the first to die among the cases cited by the international court, also known as the World Court.

"It's important to recall this is a case not just about one Mexican national on death row in Texas," one of his lawyers, Sandra Babcock, said after watching him die. "It's also about ordinary Americans who count on the protection of the consulate when they travel abroad to strange lands. It's about the reputation of the United States as a nation that adheres to the rule of law."

President Bush asked states to review the cases, but the U.S. Supreme Court ruled earlier this year neither the president nor the international court could force Texas to wait.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department said it sent a note of protest to the State Department about Medellin's case.

The statement said officials "were concerned for the precedent that (the execution) may create for the rights of Mexican nationals who may be detained in that country."

In their appeal, Medellin's lawyers warned his execution could endanger Americans abroad if they get into legal trouble and said Congress or the Texas Legislature should be given a chance to pass a law setting up procedures for new hearings before he was executed.

A bill to implement the international court's ruling wasn't introduced in Congress until last month. The Texas Legislature doesn't meet until January.

"State and federal courts — on three separate occasions — have already satisfied the World Court's suggestion that American courts examine whether Medellin suffered actual legal harm when authorities did not inform him about certain rights under the Vienna Convention," said Jerry Strickland, a spokesman for the Texas Attorney General's Office. "On all three occasions, state and federal courts concluded that Medellin suffered no legal harm."

Elizabeth Pena, 16, and Jennifer Ertman, 14, both of Houston, were gang raped, beaten and strangled in June 1993. Their remains were found four days later. The brother of one of the gang members, disgusted to learn about his sibling's involvement in the attack, tipped police, leading to the arrests.

Medellin, who was 18 at the time, was one of five to get the death penalty for the girls' deaths.

One companion, Derrick O'Brien, was executed two years ago. Another, Peter Cantu, described as the ringleader of the group, is awaiting execution but a date has not been set.

"Looking forward every day to that," said Adolfo Pena, Elizabeth's father.

Two others, Efrain Perez and Raul Villarreal, had their death sentences commuted to life in prison when the Supreme Court barred executions for those who were 17 at the time of their crimes.

The sixth person convicted, Medellin's brother, Vernancio, was 14 at the time and is serving a 40-year prison term.

At least six other Mexican nationals have been executed in Texas since 1982, when the state resumed carrying out capital punishment.

___

Offline magooch

Re: hash smoking bush didn't get his wish.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:51:29 AM »
Who cares.
Swingem

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:20:01 AM »
every day we hear, he is an alien and has different rights. They come to the U.S. and commit crimes
tell me one time that a U.S. citizen committed a crime in a foreign country and was treated any different. This guy had lived here since he was 3 years old, guess he just could on learn not to
rape and kill in 15 years. My problem is he set in prison for 15 years should have been given 1-2 years
to make pleas and over with. 15 years in prison is pretty cruel treatment. Every one has to pay
for what they do regardless of where they do it or who they are. ???
Guess i didn't realize this was about Bush being wrong, instead of an execution.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:08:11 AM »

« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:51:29 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who cares.   I guess your right as long as it not your family member.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
If it were my family member raping and killing 14-16 year old girls i would ask if i could help
strap him down, but i can see where some would be inclind to think it was OK.
Is that the answer you wanted. :-*
Rex

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:39:05 PM »
I am happy to see this scumbag leave this earth. I hope he burns in hell forever. These girls were 16 and 14 years old. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »
I thought Bush was more into cocaine and beer and less into hash..?  :o

Is this the case where Bush as governor of Texas overseered alot of fastrack executions, but in the case above he supported an international tribunal outlawing the execution of this murderer.....somebody bring me up to speed on this case. Just curious.

..TM7

Why are  you bringing up something he did years ago? 
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »
Who cares.
;D ;D Couldn't agree more.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:36:57 AM »
the guy deserved to die years ago. But I dont see what that has to do wth the line "hash smoking Bush". Maybe he got some advice from Pot smoking Clinton oh yeah he didnt inhale or coke snorting obama.  Anything to turn it into a bash session. But of course the clinton and obama lines of drug use are a smear campaign, but with Bish it is fact and everyone needs to know I understand.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:00:28 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the guy deserved to die years ago. But I dont see what that has to do wth the line "hash smoking Bush". Maybe he got some advice from Pot smoking Clinton oh yeah he didnt inhale or coke snorting obama.  Anything to turn it into a bash session. But of course the clinton and obama lines of drug use are a smear campaign, but with Bish it is fact and everyone needs to know I understand. 

BUSH TRYED TO STOP IT.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:15:34 AM »
I hate to drag myself into this, but, has it occurred to you that maybe President Bush's objections over the execution were political gestures. Mexico is getting pretty aggressive with drug enforcement, which helps us,  and maybe his remarks were made simply to appease them. Much like when Isreal strikes targets, and although we may have aided them, we publicly condem it. May be more to it them meets the eye.
Mark

Offline magooch

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 02:17:04 AM »
Now GatCat, you can't apply common sense and logic to this situation.  President Bush obviously loves hispanic evil doers and wants to protect them.  Being a politician, he would never do anything political, like give lip service to a foreign country that doesn't believe in capital punishment for their countrymen.
Swingem

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 06:23:08 AM »
ms
it said President Bush ASK the states to review the cases, did not say President Bush
said stop it.
do you and tm live together? :-*
Rex

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 07:01:20 AM »
I hate to drag myself into this, but, has it occurred to you that maybe President Bush's objections over the execution were political gestures. Mexico is getting pretty aggressive with drug enforcement, which helps us,  and maybe his remarks were made simply to appease them. Much like when Isreal strikes targets, and although we may have aided them, we publicly condem it. May be more to it them meets the eye.
Mark

Whoa... Be careful with that kind of logical thought process around here.  On threads like this the only appropriate response is some type of ideologically driven non-sense (bonus points if it's also racist) or crazy talk about an impending NWO and giant conspiracies.

Of course you're right, and my guess is Bush personally wanted them executed, but for god sake's man, don't think for yourself and then post that type of thing here!

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
DUKKILLR MAGOOCH REX6666 GATCAT  try again . This is same guy that said by his action it's okay for a drug dealer to bring over 700lb of  drugs.  while the cops are in jail for shooting the guy in ass.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »
Could you cite me the case where the President said, "It's ok if you have 700 lbs of drugs."?  That would make some convincing case law.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »
Is Alzheimer catching up with me?
  When did the US ever criticize Israel for any airstrikes?
I do believe a US citizen got special treatment some years ago when his caning sentence was drastically reduced. That was a mistake IMO that little crap got in trouble again after he got home.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:07:24 PM »   

Could you cite me the case where the President said, "It's ok if you have 700 lbs of drugs."?  That would make some convincing case law.  I SAID BY IS ACTION READ!!!

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
So the case where the president's actions supported the carrying of 700lbs of drugs? 

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
So the case where the president's actions supported the carrying of 700lbs of drugs?   There is no case law. By him letting those broader cops stay in jail is wrong. Alot of lawmaker sent a letter to the hash smoking fool to pardon them. It was probably his dope that's why there not out.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 10:32:09 AM »
I didn't want to wade in on this, but couldn't resist.

First, as for the execution....God Bless Texas!

As for the two border patrol agents, they like any other cop that lies to cover up an authorize act are exactly where they belong.  These two commited several crimes, then attempted to cover them up.  By allowing them to walk in such a case, places them, and us, in the same catagory as the cooked police agencys across the border.

As for the drug runner that got popped in the butt, he is currently in jail where he sould have gone immediately after coming forward with his complaint.  I have no problem at all with the border patrol, or any agency shooting a crook, just don't get involved in criminal activities, then try to cover it up by lieing your butt off.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 01:52:18 PM »
I totally agree, Rockbilly.

There are a couple of people on here that will uses anything to rag on George W.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
This is getting terribly discombobulated--which makes it easy for some too throw boomerangs which don't come back at them.
Bush did dope. I did dope. My friends did dope. I inhaled--it is a waste of good dope money too not inhale. I don't do it any more----BUT, Like some others who need the vote, I don't have one iota of guilt associated with those things---I also bought and drank alcohol before I was of legal age ( I am wondering---I also got drunk---is there a legal age too get drunk ??), I digress.
There is no logic too any of this and an opinion does not need logic too be an opinion---see the Hen, my wife as an example.
The guy is dead, and, the others should be/will be (hopefully).
If it was my father, I would cry, as I pulled the trip to hang him---what does that have too do with any argument too save the guy.
MS--your examples, like many of TM's are pure shambles and nothing more than fuel too a fire, and the only reason is you enjoy flames---are you a pyromaniac. I often think TM is.
Now, I am wondering, what is all of this for ?? Typing pratice ?
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 02:01:53 AM »
Wilmington  I think all that dope smoking has made you soft for GB. Have you seen a doctor for this problem ? Maybe you should take a vacation from GB until you feel better. There nothing wrong with TM or my self maybe your having flash back from all that dope. Have you tryed 12 step program?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 11:15:28 AM »
TM7, the following link pretty well give the full story on the border patrol agents and the cause for them being convicted.  As I said, I have no problem with the shooting, If they had just told the truth I would be the first to say "let em go!"

http://www.newswithviews.com/Corsi/jerome1.htm

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »
If she were my daughter I would do everything in my power to see that the offenders would beg for death, and anyone that got in my way would pay dearly.

And TrueMuslim I thought you were all for "have a smoke and relax". :)
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline bubba

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 12:44:55 AM »

BUSH TRYED TO STOP IT.

which has what to do with no inhaling clinton and coke snorting obama?  You managed to avoid that part well.  So Bush opposed it. Obama is opposed ot eerything but raining my taxes. What part of that has to do with Bush smoking hash which you made sure was in a subject line and had nothing to do with the subject. Come on You are ready to vote for a coke snorter whats's the difference?
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 03:44:03 AM »
third party.

Offline bubba

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 06:03:13 AM »
you are still avoiding it but that does not surprise me

Molon Labe