Author Topic: Ruger Blackhawk cap an ball  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Greenmtnboy66

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger Blackhawk cap an ball
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:25:43 AM »
What are your opinions on this discontinued revolver?

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Ruger Blackhawk cap an ball
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
Probably the strongest black powder revolver available.
Accurate too

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
Saw and handled one at a gun show years ago and still regret not buying it.  It was sturdier than my Ruger Old Army and felt more balanced in the hand.  I would definitely not pass up another.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:59:04 AM »
Saw and handled one at a gun show years ago and still regret not buying it.  It was sturdier than my Ruger Old Army and felt more balanced in the hand.  I would definitely not pass up another.

I am confused. A cap and ball Blackhawk? When did they produce these? Or, are you all talking about the Old Army?? I know there are different configurations, i.e. with sights and without. This is the only one I knew Ruger produced, the Old Army.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »
They were a special run several years ago.  They were sold in the Sportsman's Guide and I saw one new in box at a gun show.  They were Blackhawks with a ROA style hammer and probably ROA cylinders and 5" or so barrel.  I believe Uberti also made a Colt Peacemaker clone in percussion.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 04:39:52 AM »
I've never heard of one. Got any pictures? How would you load it? Why would you want one over an Old Army?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline phalanx

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
Can you guys believe the price of these now ?? On Gun Broker they are now going for $500.00.
I own two of them one with the sights and one without.
The one without sights i have heard people call it the Ball and cap Old Army ,but i don't know of any special gun that was called that.
This one has the Colt style grips ,and the BP Colt type frame and they were supposed to be a limited run , but any Ruger OA  is a very good Revolver.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
I don't have pictures, but the one I handled had to have the cylinder removed like a traditional Blackhawk and the cylinder loaded with a loading block setup similiar to the little 22 North American Arms sells in B/P. It didn't look anything like an Old Army, which I do have and paid only $125 for and I know the prices have gone through the roof on them since they stopped making them.

Offline Hillbilly Jim

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »
I have never heard of this Blackhawk variation. This does not mean it does not exist, only I am in the dark about this pistol.
You might try posting on The Ruger forum.  Those guys know about every  issued Ruger.