Author Topic: Welder, HVAC Tech or Apprenticeship to become a Journeymen plumber?  (Read 998 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Well I'm 99.9% sure our plant is going to close. We'll probably get retraining and unemployment benefits under NAFTA since most of our work will be going to Mexico. I'm a hands on kind of guy. So I'm looking to get some type of trade.

I can weld pretty good. I took Welding in high school for a few years (an hour a day a few days a week). To tell you the truth my father taught me most of what I know about welding. He is a machinist at GE and did just about all the welding and fabricating that needed to be done in their shop. He has a little shop set up in his garage too. We've been welding together for 18 years or so. My problem is that I've never done it as a job so technically I don't have any experience. I'd also like to get certified by the DOT and the AWS as entry level as they would be. I have to start somewhere.

HVAC just seems like there are jobs almost everywhere for this. I'm never done anything in this field so I know nothing about it.

I know a little bit about plumbing. About enough to know I'd be interested in doing this. My grandfather was a plumber and my father worked with him doing plumbing work like I work with my father welding.

These are two classes being offered by a local adult education center in my area.

*WELDER/FITTER*
This intensive, hands-on training program offers participants the opportunity to become a member of a well paying, skilled profession. Students will develop an understanding and proficiency in the areas of Shop Math, blueprint reading, safety, cutting and brazing, as well as learning MIG (GMAW), TIG (GTAW), Stick (SMAW), and Pipe welding processes. Training follows the standards and curriculum set by the American Welding Society. Participants can become entry level certified by the DOT and the AWS. Welders are employed in industrial settings such as factories, repair shops and heavy construction sites.

*HVAC/R TECHNICIAN (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration)*
A comprehensive technical and hands-on training program covering all critical aspects of the HVAC/R field. This program offers a combined total of 89 days of classroom/labs and 21 days of field work under the supervision of a qualified technician in a local HVAC/R company. Here is an opportunity to understand refrigeration and cooling systems, electrical circuitry and electronic solid state control applications; electric, gas and oil fired heat and heat pumps. Learn to install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair both residential and commercial systems. Students work on fully operational cooling and heating systems in our well equipped HVAC/R lab. Opportunities exist as entry level technicians, installation personnel, facilities maintenance technicians, commercial sales and service representatives.

To do an apprenticeship to become a journeymen plumber I'd have to join the local Plumbers Union and do it through them. I believe it takes 5 years to complete. The Local Union Hall has some of the best training around. Once I get my journeymen wages and benefit will probably be the best doing this, then welding and HVAC.

What do you guys/gals think. Give me some pros and cons. Or just any advise that might help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, New York Hunter!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
Re: Welder, HVAC Tech or Apprenticeship to become a Journeymen plumber?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:37:16 AM »
IF YOU WANT TO BE A PLUMBER GET A HOLD OF THE PIPE FITTER UNION THEY HAVE APPRENTICESHIP.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:01:02 PM »
That is what I would have to do.  Thanks!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
I did some training as a plumber a long time ago.
They taught me shxx runs down hill.
Friday is pay day.
don't bite your finger nails. ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
New York Hunter, i read your post, i don't know how old you are, if you are a young man and can take the long hours and weather you might want to look into the welding, its the hardest of the jobs you are looking at, i am a welder, been welding for the pass 30 years, if you want the easy in side 8 hours a day job go to work for a company or plant welding inside the plant, same thing every day, you get paid a low end wadge for your work, thats ok for a young guy learning the trade, but once you have done that for a while get AWS certified, to make good money you have to go out on the road and work the big construction jobs, but its hard work 7 days a week 12 hours per day or night and yes thats right the jobs run 24 hours, i've welded all night 50 ft. under ground on pipes, and 150 ft., on top of a paper mill in the dark, but thats how you make the big bucks, i could work six-seven months on the road per year then drag off for deer season, now that i have gotten older i don't go on the road jobs, my eyes are burned out, my right arm and shoulder are gone from all the years of laying on my back weilding overhead pipe and steel, my lungs are missed up from all the smoke in my face and hood for all those years. yes you can make alot of money being a welder but it will make a old man out of you before your time. 

Offline magooch

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 03:54:24 AM »
Ro is right.  If you want to learn a skill, take up electricity, or millwrighting, or carpentry.  But if I were you, I'd be looking at some kind of government job.  Or maybe look into maintenance in a hospital, or school system.
Swingem

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 09:23:32 PM »
While in the Air Force I learned Plumbing/Pipefitting.  I also learned Welders are a dime a dozen.  Yea some make good money, but it's very competitive.  I went down and passed the test with the state and got my licsence, but never worked on a civilian job.  I went to work for Civil Service after I retired from the AF.  Made good money at job that to me was so simple.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 01:33:15 AM »
  Place pay as secondary;
       Do something you really love to do..and you'll never WORK another day of your life !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline magooch

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 04:36:42 AM »
Yeah, that's working for me; I love being retired and I don't plan on working another day of my life.

Here's one more suggestion for Hunter.  Have you ever thought about being a hair stylist?  No, I'm not kidding.  My daughter has her own salon and if I didn't see it for myself, I would never believe how well she does.  The key to the whole thing is of course, clientel.  It takes a while to build it up and you've got to be good at it, but when it all comes together it's nothing short of a gold mine.  And the tips are unbelievable.
Swingem

Offline NYH1

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 06:31:12 AM »
Yeah, that's working for me; I love being retired and I don't plan on working another day of my life.

Here's one more suggestion for Hunter.  Have you ever thought about being a hair stylist?  No, I'm not kidding.  My daughter has her own salon and if I didn't see it for myself, I would never believe how well she does.  The key to the whole thing is of course, clientel.  It takes a while to build it up and you've got to be good at it, but when it all comes together it's nothing short of a gold mine.  And the tips are unbelievable.
The thought never crossed my mind.  I don't even do anything with my own hair...my wife buzzes it off for me.  That, like being a nurse is something I could never do.  Not knocking either, just couldn't do them.

Offline A-ALLOY

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 07:37:32 AM »
Don't know how things work in the real world, but this is my little story. I'm 48, about 5 years ago went to school and got my 6g weld cert. Worlds full of people who weld a lot better than me. I work for a marine refrigeration & electrical comtractor, welding got me the job. Now I do more ele.  and refer work and I love my job. Yes I get dirty and I work hard some times but they pay me well an I get my on type of benefit package. If you can do HVAC/R you can do anything. You will need to do math, depends how far you would like to go. I know very little about unions but I don't think I'm there type. If you look at the numbers there are not many young people doing these trades lots of work will be available for those who have some skills (like showing up for work with your boots on and ready to go).

What trade is not in demand now? For me I vote HVAC/R or a good electrical school. If your area is dead you got to move. But do what you love and don't look back.
School did it for me. Good luck and keep us posted.