Author Topic: 44 mag for daily carry  (Read 2022 times)

Offline docmagnum357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
44 mag for daily carry
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »
Does anyone else here carry a 44 magnum for a ccw piece?  I have two, a 6.5 inch 629 classic, and a vintadge model 29 4".  I load 180 grain xtps ans they don't penetrate any further in gelatin than a 158 grain swchp +p load from a 38.  They sure do make a bigger mess, though.  I have no problem concealing them, and I can get very accurate shots out to 25 yards faitly fast.  Does anyone else carry a 44?

Offline williamlayton

Re: 44 mag for daily carry
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »
I can think of a number of pieces---in calibers just as effective, IMO--which I would rather carry but I can't think of any piece I would rather carry less.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
Does anyone else carry a 44?
I do, but d^%# it's uncomfortable!   :D  I usually just stick my S&W M49 Bodyguard in a pocket holster in my pocket.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:08:21 AM »
I posted on this subject a couple yrs. ago at the time I had a good friend that owned a jewelry repair business who carried a S&W 20 with I believe it had a custom 2.5 in. barrel on it and he loved it, he did say it was a lot heavier than some of the other choices he had but he was comfortable with the weight and said he was quite accurate with it, That good friend passed away in May and I will always miss him.   JIM

Offline The Old Redneck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »
 I have carried different mod 29's with from 4" to 6" barrels over the years. My favorite carry now is a Charter bulldog with a 2" barrel. It shoots as good as the 38 snubs and the 44 special is a good round with less noise and recoil than the 44 mag. The 2" barrel is easier to carry than the 4" and 6" with less weight. I cut the barrel from 3" to 2" to make it a little smaller and fit the regular snub holsters. Wish I had done it to one years ago.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »
I'm going to get me another short barrel .44 mag very soon, but have a nice 629 6" that I may be carrying as the weather cools way down until then.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:53:24 PM »
I've been know to carry a 4" 57 from time to time. Same size. Usually in the winter when wearing a jacket.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »
doc - I've known a few fellas to carry those but not for too long or too often.  Since one of yours is a vintage S&W I would advise you to get something as effective, but less vintage - cuz ya know that if you ever have to use it, you will lose it (to the law....) and although the 180 gn 44s are pretty good I believe you can obtain the same effect with similar loads in a 45 auto.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Cayoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
The only .44 I have is a Dan Wesson 8 inch, a bit big for concealed carry.

However, during the winter, I do carry a S&W 625 (4 inch) under my jacket most of the time.  I keep it stoked with some pretty warm 255 grn SWCs.  If I'm going to be out cross country skiing or snow shoeing, I carry a 657 Mnt Gun.  Also loaded with 250 swcs.   A bit more punch if I'm going to be out in the woods.

Point is, the N frame (with a 4 inch bbl) isn't hard to conceal if you are wearing a light jacket or more.
Thanks from the Frozen Northwoods!!!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son.  I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:31:13 AM »
Does anyone else here carry a 44 magnum for a ccw piece?  ...  Does anyone else carry a 44?
Time for true confessions.  Sometimes.....

I have an Astra 44 Rem Mag Teminator snubnose double action stainless revolver.  When out go out in the woods hiking, I use an inside the waistband Uncle Mike's holster to carry it.  It is my "almost always" hiking in the wood concealed carry.  Every once in a while, I will use a 357 Mag handloaded with 200 grain bullets over lots of Alliant 2400.  In Washington State where I live, the hikers are pretty ultra liberal, anti-NRA, "politically correct" and don't react well to open carry on trails.  I like the option of being able to defend myself in the deep woods against anything on two or four legs.  So concealed carry makes everyone happy. 

The Astra snubnose is a very small (in length) but bulky handfull.  It took a while at the range to get use to the serious wrist snap this gun delivers.

Back in civilization, I carry less potent calibers, such as a Ruger 357 Mag Security Six, a PA-63 9-Mak, a compact 9mm Hungarian HP clone, or M-1911-A1 clone depending on where I am going, what I am wearing, or what strikes my fancy.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »
Why would anyone need a 44mag for cc? There are so many better cc choices available.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »
Why would anyone need a 44mag for cc? There are so many better cc choices available.

Some of us like wheelguns better than semi auto's and we like to use a .44 Spl loadings in 240-gr or 250-gr SWC, JHP rounds.  It doesn't matter that the revolver can also carry .44 Magnum loads, you get real good FPS for defensive shooting from the .44 Spl.

There is no more wrong in carrying a .44 Spl/Mag than carrying a .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .38 Spl or a 9mm

I carry a S&W 637 - 38 Spl, is it wrong no because I can shoot it very well.  But I like to carry a .44 Spl load because I do think it is better for what I want.  What you want, and what serves you may be entirely differant than for me.

It's a matter of personal choice

Offline Cayoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »
Some of us like wheelguns better than semi auto's and we like to use a .44 Spl loadings in 240-gr or 250-gr SWC, JHP rounds.  It doesn't matter that the revolver can also carry .44 Magnum loads, you get real good FPS for defensive shooting from the .44 Spl.

There is no more wrong in carrying a .44 Spl/Mag than carrying a .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .38 Spl or a 9mm

I agree whole heartedly.  I have been sorely tempted to purchase a new .44 Mag Night Guard for this very reason.

However, when all the dust settles, I'm still a devoted .41 mag fan.  Thus I came upon a new plan:

I just purchased an "Almost New In Box" .357 S&W 686-4 (the dash 4s are my favorite .357!;D

I contacted Hamilton Bowen about rechambering this 6 shot .357 into a 6 shot .41 Spl (.41 Spl is created by trimming a .41 Mag case down to the length of a .44 spl case).  This will still propel a 220 grn .41 caliber bullet at 950 fps to 1150 fps without pushing the pressure envelope.  All this out of an "L" frame, 4 inch 6 shooter! :-)

Exactly what ol' Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan had in mind when they first came up with the idea of a .41 Magnum.

Mr Bowen says that he will have no problem doing that.  He has done it for others, and the reports are that these guns are real tack drivers.

If this works out as well as I think it will, I will contact him again about turning my .357 SP-101 into a 5 shot .41 Spl! ;D
Thanks from the Frozen Northwoods!!!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son.  I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
Just my opinion but to me it seems there's nothing worse then a heavy, large frame, exposed hammer mangum wheel gun for cc. Try getting that out from a concealed spot on your person in a hurry compared to small light weight internal hammer wheel gun or a semi in a smaller caliber. Self defense when cc in the method requires lightning quick response. Firepower to me would seem to take a back seat. To each is own I suppose.

In the woods when you can carry exposed, differant story.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline JBC

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 11:07:31 AM »
I think the best answer has been stated; if it works for you than go for it!! I have a 4" 5-shot ported Taurus tracker that is never far from my person; it travels through the woods with me every time out and in the winter time (heavier clothes) I carry it quite often, but I am not a small guy so I have no trouble concealing it. I guess the only downside is if it get's too heavy and bulky that it becomes a chore to carry then you will be less likely to have it when you need it, but that's what they make snubby .38's for so maybe just buy both. sounds logical to me - just don't let the wife find out about it!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
  For me, if I wanted to go big bore..perhaps the Charter .44 spec would carry better..heard some complaints about Charter though.
  Never owned one, so can't comment.
  In a slightly longer package, that Taurus "judge" .410/45LC would seem appropriate for "up close & personal", last ditch stuff.
 Actually; I rarely carry, and if I do, it is usually just a .22 Phoenix or a Taurus 8-shot .22 mag. (#941).

Even then ..I would hope I never need it !.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 03:34:39 PM »
My reason was "...the option of being able to defend myself in the deep woods against anything on two or four legs."

Since you say there are many better cc choices, what CC would your recommend for hiking with the PC who don't like open carry and yet still would stop a bear or large animal like say an elk?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 04:47:56 AM »
  Robert;
        The .44 mag is a good choice for the 500# & up varmints..I was thinking urban varmints .  ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 05:00:20 AM »
My reason was "...the option of being able to defend myself in the deep woods against anything on two or four legs."

Since you say there are many better cc choices, what CC would your recommend for hiking with the PC who don't like open carry and yet still would stop a bear or large animal like say an elk?

If defending yourself in the deep woods is the goal, then I agree with your original choice. I though the goal was self defense against humans.

I carry a Tuarus Tracker in 41 mag with the 2inch bbl. Its light weight and small with plenty of knock down power. But I don't carry this concealed but would/could if I had to. I also can and have carried a SA 45lc with a 5.5 inch bbl, but again this is not carried concealed when I'm in the woods. S&W makes a great light weight 44mag, Can't remember the model#.

Can you cc a semi auto pistol in your state? If you can, there's nothing wrong with a 40 s&w or even a 45acp. If I could only cc, I would consider my Kimber Ultra Carry in 45acp.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »
In WA one is allowed to conceal carry a semi-auto.

Your 41 Mag would also make a fine deep woods concealed carry.  While I have a 45ACP Rock Island M-1911-A1 clone, I think of it as more of an urban environment concealed carry.

During hunting season, when carrying a rifle, I have been known to open carry a Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC on occasion.  In the past, when meeting hikers on trails during hunting season, they tend to be more upset with the Scoped Winchester Model 70 rifle, than anything on my belt.  At times, I wished I lived in a state that was less democratic party oriented.  Oh, well.

The Astra Terminator is the same size and similar to a Smith N frame double action revolver.

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:21:50 AM »
I can easily go from sub-urban to farm to deep woods in a short time, I don't have a carry gun for each enviroment that I carry in.... of sorts.  If I know I'm staying around my sub-urban area then my J frame packs real nice, but if I am out and about..... my 629 does pack and carry real well.

Is it everyones choice, no but it's mine and I can carry open or concealed (with permit city's only require) it don't matter in our state.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »
  Montanan;
  The gun crime level is low in Montana isn't it ? How is it some of the politicians try to convince us that "guns cause crime" ?

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »
When I used to carry I didn't want the weight and went with a colt mustang in 380. Not much good in the woods against anything bigger than a charging rabbit though. :D I think for the situation you describe the 44 is a good choice or maybe even the 454 alaskan.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »
  Montanan;
  The gun crime level is low in Montana isn't it ? How is it some of the politicians try to convince us that "guns cause crime" ?

Billings, Great Falls, Missoula and Butte have some of the highest in the state.  But there are other areas that following along the dirty path as more and more move into Montana from other areas.

It is a personal choice of what one wants to carry.  Our weather is changing to cooler and then much cooler weather as layers of clothing are now appearing because of it.  I like the fact that what I carry should I desire to carry my .44 Magnum with basicly a heavy .44 Spl 240-gr SWC  load will get the job done if I need it. 

I carry a revolver because I know it will go bang everytime I pull the trigger, and this is my choice.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 12:33:51 AM »
interesting, your area grows colder yet where I hunted in Michigan grows warmer in late November. Time was it was cold and snowy the entire month. Now it is more likely to rain. In southern Ontario where I grew up, as a teen we could ride snowmobiles right out of the back yard all winter. Now there is not enough snow for a decent snowman.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »
  Montanan;
  sorry to hear about the rise in gun crimes..guess I.. mispoke. i did notice that most leaned toward the revolver..I presume for the
  reason you gave.
  Sharonanne;
  Here in rural western NY, for the last few years getting into my woods during Nov deer/bear season is tough because of the deep
   snow..  ya never know... :D

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 01:06:24 AM »
  Montanan;
  sorry to hear about the rise in gun crimes..guess I.. mispoke. i did notice that most leaned toward the revolver..I presume for the
  reason you gave.
  Sharonanne;
  Here in rural western NY, for the last few years getting into my woods during Nov deer/bear season is tough because of the deep
   snow..  ya never know... :D

Here is the stats from 1960 - 2006 http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mtcrimn.htm  It is not broken down by city or county, but I have seen it rise since Jun 1990 to present.  Once you click on the link, then click on the Montana Law Enforcement Agency Uniform Crime Reports 1980 to 2005 which will give the crime rates for individual areas.  More firearm and or blade weapon use by perps, road rage by those from other areas.  But, as I noticed with some of those police agencies they have not submitted stats in quite some time.

But when it happens in Montana the National Crime Rate Center bases everything on per capita of people.

But I personally like the .44 cal, .45 Cal revolvers as I have wittnessed in testing 38/357 and 9mm bounce or glance off of windsheilds of cars tested.  Even though my little gun is a S&W 637 .38 Spl I know there are limits to it's application should I need to use it.  The key to surviving a gun fight is not to engage but evade if you can, as 911 will bring re-enforcements quickly.  If your cornered, then you got to fight to defend yourself and or those you love that are in harms way.