Author Topic: For what it's worth- Weaver Quad rings....  (Read 505 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
For what it's worth- Weaver Quad rings....
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »
Weaver Quad rings came up in a recent thread and the general concensus was that quality has slipped like most everything in this day and age. Well I know that they are popular so I dug through my big box of 'stuff/junk' and fished out all the pairs of Weaver Quads I could find. Found 3 pairs of high extension rings that are in matte finish, 2 pairs of high gloss finish, 1 pair that is high and matte finish and 2 pairs of gloss medium finish and finally 2 pairs of meduim height with a matte finish. Most are brand new, some are used. Yes I have too much 'junk'! I dug them out to look at them and see if the older ones are really better than the new ones. Well I did find something that is interesting-

All the gloss finish rings have odd shaped hex head screws and none of them fit the Weaver type bases I have correctly. They all cant to one side. All of the matte finish rings have uniform hex head screws and none cant on the same Weaver type bases. Something to think about. Maybe the gloss rings are made in a different factory in China with poor QC. This is certainly not a 'scientific finding' and your experiences may vary, but I certainly will think about this in the future if I buy more Quad rings.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: For what it's worth- Weaver Quad rings....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:01:06 AM »
I have a whole bunch of them, and I haven't had any problems.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: For what it's worth- Weaver Quad rings....
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:15:42 PM »
After looking further I found that the fixed side of the clamp on the gloss finished rings is not a sharp angle like the matte rings. This causes the ring to cant to one side, though I do have one gloss ring that actually pitches foreward on the base. None of the matte rings do this in way shape or form. Maybe the way the factory finishes them is rounding off the fixed side of the clamp. I'm going to show my local gunshop this sometime this week when I get time and see what he has to say.